Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Lunardi doesn't bother me as much as ESPN's use of him. He's not worth half a screen during a live basketball game; save him for a studio show during halftime or between games. Even worse is their treatment of Bracketology as news, which it is not. Keep it off the Bottom Line.
    Yeah, this is where I'm at. Lunardi was a quaint notion back when he was just around at selection time. What he was doing wasn't terribly impressive, but it was at least confined to the time point at which what he was doing was relevant (i.e., guessing in early March which teams would get into the field). But then ESPN latched on and kept pumping him to us earlier and earlier. He wasn't noteworthily great at what he did, which was essentially guess, with only about 70-90% accuracy, which 5-10 bubble teams would make it in. He just packaged it as guessing which (at the time) 65 teams would get in, even though anyone putting any thought into it would realize that 55-60 teams were known already (the conference champs plus any top-30 teams who didn't win their conference). Saying you get 64 of 65 teams in the field correct sounds much better than getting 4 of 5 (or more generously 9 of 10) bubble teams right. And as the field grew and the committee changed its criteria, his accuracy got a bit worse, missing 2 or 3 teams most years.

But even that was all fine and good, so long as it was just around end of February/beginning of March. But ESPN kept asking him to produce content earlier and earlier, which was totally irrelevant and totally out of line with what he was supposedly good at doing. And on top of that, he started putting seeds next to his field, which he was never remotely good at.

I basically just tune him out entirely at this point. Good for him for making money off the idea. Bad on ESPN for pumping out bad content though.

It’s also really annoying that he insists ESPN interns call him “the Lunard dog”.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I basically just tune him out entirely at this point. Good for him for making money off Kedsy's idea. Bad on ESPN for pumping out bad content though.
    FIFY
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

This has been stated a million times, but to sum up:

What JL does, anyone with a trained monkey with his available resources could do.