Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman's Number

Heyman's Number

I hope something changes here or a satisfactory explanation is given. Retired numbers should mean just that, unless the person who wore it gives their permission. Art was special and few players will ever stay around long enough now to earn this honor. This is disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by peteandpete View Post
    I hope something changes here or a satisfactory explanation is given. Retired numbers should mean just that, unless the person who wore it gives their permission. Art was special and few players will ever stay around long enough now to earn this honor. This is disappointing.
    Nothing means anything anymore.

Maybe the Heyman family was contacted for permission?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

some context?
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    some context?
    Per goduke.com, Mitchell has been given Heyman’s retired number.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Per goduke.com, Mitchell has been given Herman’s retired number.
    ah. lame. I might have cared more 10 years ago, unfortunately. New world, new numbers, I guess.
    April 1

This looks like a job for Duke beat sports writer for the Raleigh News and Observer Steve Wiseman.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Interesting in that Thomas Hill switched his jersey when Heyman's number was put in the rafters.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...ired-Jersey-44

By the way, if you’ve never seen Heyman play or you’re unfamiliar with the amazing Duke teams in the 60’s coached by Vic Bubas, I highly recommend watching episode #2 on the history of the ACC. Tournament on the ACC Network. It is terrific. Art was my first Duke hero because I was lucky enough to go to home games with my dad who had season tickets. Great memories.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Nothing means anything anymore.
    Sad but true.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where anyone would have enough of a multi-year impact to deserve having their number retired, so it's not like we're going to be running out of positive integers. But...those few that are retired should stay that way, IMO.

Back in my undergrad days (circa 2004), we were hanging out in camping chairs outside our tent in Kville a couple hours before a game. A couple of men in their 60s (or thereabout) came by on their way to Cameron and chatted us up for a minute or two, asking questions about Kville and our Cameron experiences. One of them mentioned something about being back for a game for the first time in a while.

Later, during the game, one of the two men was honored/acknowledged (either during halftime or a timeout...can't quite remember). Turns out it was Art Heyman!

Duke won the game, and our tent group gathered back in Kville. Mr. Heyman swung back by our tent, handed us a handful of $20 bills, and said "Dinner's on me. Have fun." We saved the cash for the next weekend and fried a whole turkey in Kville (one of my tentmates happened to own a fryer). As interested onlookers came by, we happily told them "Art Heyman bought us this turkey!"

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    ah. lame. I might have cared more 10 years ago, unfortunately. New world, new numbers, I guess.
    And that is why Duke is doing it. Shameless.

Even if the Heyman family agreed to it, they shouldn't have been asked.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Apparently, the world lost all meaning in 2017.
    I think the difference would be that Danny Ferry, who is very much alive, gave his permission for Bagley to wear that number. Art Heyman died in 2012.

But I'm also not up in arms about this yet, as I assume some sort of announcement or explanation might be forthcoming. No sense in running for the pitchforks now and declaring that words have no meaning and nothing is sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    I think the difference would be that Danny Ferry, who is very much alive, gave his permission for Bagley to wear that number. Art Heyman died in 2012.

But I'm also not up in arms about this yet, as I assume some sort of announcement or explanation might be forthcoming. No sense in running for the pitchforks now and declaring that words have no meaning and nothing is sacred.
    I'm not up in arms. I think it's just yet another example of leaving behind things that we all once really appreciated. It's been coming faster and faster. I'm not even saying any of it is "bad," it's just unrecognizable from, say 25 or 30 years ago when I fell in love with the sport.

Surely the Duke coaches and staff know #25 is retired. I am disappointed by this too. Didn't like Bagley wearing #35. Why retire numbers if they are going to used again. I hope #4, #11, #31, #32, and #33 are not used again.

I mean, at some point we will run out of numbers, right? Heyman graduated from Duke in 1963. I think a 40 or 50 year limit on jersey retirement is a good idea. It preserves our memories of the player for a looong time while allowing numbers to be recycled in a reasonable way.

I was not a fan of Ferry being asked to give up his number for Bagley, but am much more understanding of this situation with regards to Heyman due to the passage of time.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I mean, at some point we will run out of numbers, right? Heyman graduated from Duke in 1963. I think a 40 or 50 year limit on jersey retirement is a good idea. It preserves our memories of the player for a looong time while allowing numbers to be recycled in a reasonable way.

I was not a fan of Ferry being asked to give up his number for Bagley, but am much more understanding of this situation with regards to Heyman due to the passage of time.
    I mean, if there's a new policy, make a new policy.

And as far as "running out of numbers," when will the next jersey be retired? Who will it be? Our best players are here for one season. Our very good players are here for two. Our four year players are rare, and are never our most talented guys.

I mean, I suppose Coach J can institute whatever changes he wants for retirement requirements, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I mean, if there's a new policy, make a new policy.

And as far as "running out of numbers," when will the next jersey be retired? Who will it be? Our best players are here for one season. Our very good players are here for two. Our four year players are rare, and are never our most talented guys.

I mean, I suppose Coach J can institute whatever changes he wants for retirement requirements, but...
    I agree. Somewhere I posted an analysis of other numbers he could wear in addition to the retired ones and those on the current roster and I think there were about 10, so there is plenty of room given that we are unlikely to be retiring many more numbers soon.

I found Bagley requesting the number from Ferry to be very distasteful. I don’t care if Heyman is alive or dead or when he played. I think retired is retired. I will reserve judgment on this case but I am not optimistic.

I too share the disappointment that a retired number can be "unretired," and I'll leave it at that.

For those who would like to know a little more about what Art Heyman was like outside of the sports columns, I recommend Pat Conroy's My Losing Season. He was bigger than life, and Conroy captures that quality well.

FWIW, I was there when Heyman had his intimate, non-verbal discussion with Frank McGuire. And I maintain to this day that Larry Brown and Donnie Walsh are punks.