Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Man… is social media going to be the death of our society?

So, I’m on Twitter, and recently a tweet crossed my feed… I don’t even remember HOW, maybe it was suggested or something? It was something about Covid being a hoax bc they got it and felt okay. I causally responded, just something along the lines of “Most people who get Covid actually get through it.”

And I’ve now been dragged into this bizarre universe where I am getting tons of angry, aggressive responses, all from being with barely any Twitter footprint but who do not appear to be bots, absolutely going nuts with conspiracies. And when I look at their profiles… holy cow. Con trails and flat earth and on and on and on.

And I was thinking… it used to be that these crazy people were isolated and alone. But now they see a seemingly endless number of people who agree with them, which absolutely amplifies and justifies their crazy beliefs, causing them to get crazier and crazier.

Honestly I am horrified by it… I had to flee the Twitter “conversation” because of how absolutely nuts it was.

I cannot help but think that social media, and the internet, is going to the most damage just by bringing together people who should be isolated.
    Last edited by Lord Ash; 06-13-2022 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    So, I’m on Twitter, and recently a tweet crossed my feed… I don’t even remember HOW, maybe it was suggested or something? It was something about Covid being a hoax. I causally responded, just something along the lines of “Come on, this is silly.”

And I’ve now been dragged into this bizarre universe where I am getting tons of responses, all from being with barely any Twitter footprint but who do not appear to be bots, absolutely going nuts with conspiracies. And when I look at their profiles… holy cow. Con trails and flat earth and on and on and on.

And I was thinking… it used to be that these crazy people were isolated and alone. But now they see a seemingly endless number of people who agree with them, which absolutely amplifies and justifies their crazy beliefs, causing them to get crazier and crazier.

Honestly I am horrified by it… I had to flee the Twitter “conversation” because of how absolutely nuts it was.

I cannot help but think that social media, and the internet, is going to the most damage just by bringing together people who should be isolated.
    Short answer to your title: yes

Sorry for all of the mistakes in my post, typing with one hand and my iPad stopped autocorrecting (except for the word ipad, of course)

People take their civic duty seriously. Particularly when they don't have to do it face to face.

duty_calls-xkcd-big.jpg

It is a cesspool...

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    People take their civic duty seriously. Particularly when they don't have to do it face to face.

duty_calls-xkcd-big.jpg
    To Lord Ash, yes.

To camion, this is why I got off social media - my mental health required I leave well enough alone.

Wouldn't know. Never been on.

nor I. That shipped has sailed...

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Wouldn't know. Never been on.
    I mean, one could argue that DBR is a version of social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Internet forums are considered social media.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hence my statement that one could argue it.

It's not Insta-Face or Twit-Tok, but it certainly has legions of idiots arguing with one another to the death.

Hence my statement that one could argue it.

It's not Insta-Face or Twit-Tok, but it certainly has legions of idiots arguing with one another to the death.
    Yeah. Social media encompasses a lot of channels and platforms that enable user generated content, profiles, etc. But, yeah, “social media” in the derogatory use typically just refers to Twitter, FB, etc.

I dunno, like most things, it’s not all good or bad. It depends on how it gets used and unfortunately people aren’t all good or bad either.

Yeah. Social media encompasses a lot of channels and platforms that enable user generated content, profiles, etc. But, yeah, “social media” in the derogatory use typically just refers to Twitter, FB, etc.

I dunno, like most things, it’s not all good or bad. It depends on how it gets used and unfortunately people aren’t all good or bad either.
    Remember how DBR used to have a Public Policy Forum?

Yeah, DBR is social media.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Remember how DBR used to have a Public Policy Forum?

Yeah, DBR is social media.
    See Camion’s post above. 😂

I think the death of our society via social media has already started a long, long time ago.

A substantial difference from the major social media sites is that DBR is a well-moderated site that focuses on one major topic, many sidelines of general interest, and little PPB material with explicit rules governing behavior equitably enforced. Another major point of distinction is that the users of the site are very, very good at abiding by the rules.

FYI, this is literally the only site on which I post with any regularity and, even here, I am something less than a post-a-matic.
    I appreciate you folks, even when we disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    A substantial difference from the major social media sites is that DBR is a well-moderated site that focuses on one major topic, many sidelines of general interest, and little PPB material with explicit rules governing behavior equitably enforced. Another major point of distinction is that the users of the site are very, very good at abiding by the rules.

FYI, this is literally the only site on which I post with any regularity and, even here, I am something less than a post-a-matic.
    I appreciate you folks, even when we disagree.
    I hear and agree with all that; I was merely pointing out that by most conventional definitions of social media, Internet forums qualify and DBR is an Internet forum.

Social media has a strong implied definition for most people but it’s actual definition casts a wide net.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Man… is social media going to be the death of our society?

So, I’m on Twitter, and recently a tweet crossed my feed… I don’t even remember HOW, maybe it was suggested or something? It was something about Covid being a hoax bc they got it and felt okay. I causally responded, just something along the lines of “Most people who get Covid actually get through it.”

And I’ve now been dragged into this bizarre universe where I am getting tons of angry, aggressive responses, all from being with barely any Twitter footprint but who do not appear to be bots, absolutely going nuts with conspiracies. And when I look at their profiles… holy cow. Con trails and flat earth and on and on and on.

Going to be?!? That ship has sailed.

I think the negatives of social media have far outweighed the positives.

I have shunned many forms of it over the years (Facebook, etc) which has been hard to do at times, but it was the right call at the end of the day. Without wading into PPB territory, it really saddens me to see what Facebook has done to my in-laws.

Unfortunately, Pandora’s box has been opened and I don’t think there is any reasonable way to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I think the negatives of social media have far outweighed the positives.

I have shunned many forms of it over the years (Facebook, etc) which has been hard to do at times, but it was the right call at the end of the day. Without wading into PPB territory, it really saddens me to see what Facebook has done to my in-laws.

Unfortunately, Pandora’s box has been opened and I don’t think there is any reasonable way to go back.
    I mean, to have a more honest reply - DBR has one very important quality of most social media... the echo chamber aspect. If you want to find people who agree with you in regards to K, UNC, recruiting, etc - here's the place!

Of course, the difference is that here, everyone is CORRECT in their opinions...