Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    You are correct. The only thing more sensitive than a fingerprint are the retinal eye scans you see in movies. Criminals will find a way a la Jurassic Park 1 to steal that data eventually and override 2FA. Phones are hot commodities unless you are Lord of the Flipphone.

As an example, my first Duke card prominently had my SSN on the front with my picture. I had more than one midterm with the same on the front to make grade entry easier. (Aside-you've hit the jackpot beyond the easy A if you took Intro to Jazz and don't mind the prison time.) As noted above, I'm Jurassic compared to many of DBR denizens, but FDR didn't personally hand out my SS card.
    Man they use to post the big chemistry classes’ test grades on a sheet of paper by social security number in the hallway of Gross Chem. That was also the number used for ordering food with dining points and signing up for classes through ACES by landline.

More stories... one local regional airlines mileage plan used the social security number as the "membership number" at least through the 80's. Also, the pre-printed personal information on personal checks *included* the social security number. How times have changed...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    More stories... one local regional airlines mileage plan used the social security number as the "membership number" at least through the 80's. Also, the pre-printed personal information on personal checks *included* the social security number. How times have changed...
    As a minor with a checking account, AAFES used to require both mine and my father's SSN be written on the check. This was with an account provided by the local credit union. I guess they had a few too many candy and King Don heists.

(Army and Air Force Exchange Services - grocery and department store on post)

Biometrics are actually quite good if done correctly. Big caveat, I know, but just like a regular old password system, the raw data (whether the plain text password or biometric data) should never be stored directly on the authentication server. It should first be hashed in some form, and salted prior to doing so.

[ Hashing prevents any reverse engineering of the input data, and salting prevents the use of replaying the output on other sites, as well as mitigating rainbow table attacks. ]

Just like there are sites out there that are either lazy, ignorant, careless, or some combination of those that don't do password storage correctly, there might be biometric solutions that take similar bad practices. But if through regulation, standards, auditing, etc. we can ensure biometric solutions are using best practices, it could go a long way to solving the password problem.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Biometrics are actually quite good if done correctly. Big caveat, I know, but just like a regular old password system, the raw data (whether the plain text password or biometric data) should never be stored directly on the authentication server. It should first be hashed in some form, and salted prior to doing so.

[ Hashing prevents any reverse engineering of the input data, and salting prevents the use of replaying the output on other sites, as well as mitigating rainbow table attacks. ]

Just like there are sites out there that are either lazy, ignorant, careless, or some combination of those that don't do password storage correctly, there might be biometric solutions that take similar bad practices. But if through regulation, standards, auditing, etc. we can ensure biometric solutions are using best practices, it could go a long way to solving the password problem.
    I think this is probably an important post, but it is way over my head. They do all seem to be words in the English language, though.