Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, all the Vecna's I know are in their late 40s at least. Hard to tell what a younger demonic beast would look like.
    So very angry you beat me to this joke.

My thoughts on a couple of the open questions:

Russia and US Govt
    The bad guy government agents and the Russians are all of a piece. The Russians want to access the upside down as a power source (including weaponizing demigorgons?!?), and the US government takes an ends-justify-the-means approach to stop Russia at all costs. Both sides ultimately serve as yet another impediment to the heroes (Hawkins teens) from actually saving the world from the horrors of the upside down. (Highlighting their justification for being in the plot doesn't make the Russia/US govt conflict more appealing, alas...)

Vecna/Nancy Cliffhanger
    I assume Nancy is going to survive this immediate danger solely based on the plot-function that she needs to survive to explain what she's seen to the other kids. The writers probably wouldn't have Dustin et al operating in the dark for the rest of the series with only Nancy learning the inside info for naught. Once they all link up with Eleven, they'll collectively piece together the full picture (that the viewers mostly have) between El and Nancy, and perhaps eventually learn the ultimate secrets of the Upside Down, including whether the Mind Flayer works for Vecna or vice versa...

I finished the last episode of this part of the season last night and don't have much to add other than a shout out and big congrats to Kate Bush and "Running Up That Hill", a favorite alternative '80's song of mine which has seen a huge resurgence with a younger generation according to recent streaming numbers. That's the song that got Jess out of trouble. I used to play it when I was a DJ on WXDU, Duke's radio station.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

And, I believe, Kate Bush has bought back the rights to her music years ago so she is reaping the rewards from her own talent.

Just finished Ep7 - fantastic so far. Not much to add other than this:

C2E7E28D-0FFD-4181-8571-0A3AD586313D.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    And, I believe, Kate Bush has bought back the rights to her music years ago so she is reaping the rewards from her own talent.
    Apparently she has made 2.3 million dollars in Streaming royalties since May 27 when the fourth season debuted.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Looking forward to watching the Part II episodes.

Just finished. Quality stuff. Looking forward to discussing when others have watched.

I feel like Eddie's death and Max's "death" were both too repetitive with previous scenes in this season (Max) or previous seasons (Eddie). I think it would have been cooler if Vecna's plan was to draw them into the house but surprise attack Lucas instead and leave him as the incapacitated one.

That said, the season was awesome, I would probably rank them in the order of: 4, 1, 2, 3 (and even 3 was decent).

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I feel like Eddie's death and Max's "death" were both too repetitive with previous scenes in this season (Max) or previous seasons (Eddie). I think it would have been cooler if Vecna's plan was to draw them into the house but surprise attack Lucas instead and leave him as the incapacitated one.

That said, the season was awesome, I would probably rank them in the order of: 4, 1, 2, 3 (and even 3 was decent).
    Is probably go 4,1,3,2 - if, for nothing else, the theme from the neverending story

Binged all 9 episodes last two days. Great series/year. Thought the episodes were well thought out. Nice tie-ins to the past. Kids are really way to old now, but it’s okay. Enjoyed the music and 80’s vibe.

A performance of Running up that Hill by Kate on Top of the Pops. Almost as captivating as Season 4 itself. Well worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/OJmZiX8bIAg

Top of the pops was an iconic TV program broadcast every Thursday evening on BBC in the UK. Watching it was sort of a weekly must do family event. At least in my house.
    Last edited by Furniture; 07-11-2022 at 12:02 AM.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Feels like Max must have died at the end of the season for the gates to reopen like that, right?

I didn't really like One/Henry/Vecna surviving being burned alive, being shot multiple times with a sawed-off shotgun, and then falling from the attic of the house to the ground. Felt like they did enough to kill him. I struggle to wonder what role anyone other than Eleven can play in defeating him... other than Mike telling El he loves her and giving her a power-up that way (rolls eyes).

Overall, I thought the season was a homerun, but the final two episodes were some of the least inspired writing of the series. Hopper and Joyce go back to the prison because beating a couple Demodogs will help the kids?!?! El is defeated and helpless until Mike professes his love?!?! Eddie's bizarre and unnecessary decision to run off and sacrifice himself to the Demobats?!?! And what happened to the bad military dudes after El crashed the copter? Pretty much everything having to do with the military conflict felt like forced storytelling.

They set up a lot of great stuff but kinda failed to bring it home as elegantly as the set up indicated. Still, I am quite eager for season five and the conclusion of the story. It has been a ton of fun.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Feels like Max must have died at the end of the season for the gates to reopen like that, right?

I didn't really like One/Henry/Vecna surviving being burned alive, being shot multiple times with a sawed-off shotgun, and then falling from the attic of the house to the ground. Felt like they did enough to kill him. I struggle to wonder what role anyone other than Eleven can play in defeating him... other than Mike telling El he loves her and giving her a power-up that way (rolls eyes).

Overall, I thought the season was a homerun, but the final two episodes were some of the least inspired writing of the series. Hopper and Joyce go back to the prison because beating a couple Demodogs will help the kids?!?! El is defeated and helpless until Mike professes his love?!?! Eddie's bizarre and unnecessary decision to run off and sacrifice himself to the Demobats?!?! And what happened to the bad military dudes after El crashed the copter? Pretty much everything having to do with the military conflict felt like forced storytelling.

They set up a lot of great stuff but kinda failed to bring it home as elegantly as the set up indicated. Still, I am quite eager for season five and the conclusion of the story. It has been a ton of fun.
    My take is that everyone was working towards the same cause, and that the group effort would all help kill Vecna, even though everyone was not clear (or knew at all) what the others were doing.

-In Siberia, the idea was to kill the offspring in order to hurt/weaken the main dude that the others were fighting back home.
    -In California, El was trying to keep Max safe from Vecna.
    -Eddie decided he DID want to be a hero by buying the others more time by distracting the bat thingies.
    -Mike's profession of love was the required sappy moment to give El that extra boost.
    -The bad military dudes will probably make a comeback in the final season. That is why they are fixing up Hopper's cabin to hide El there. They know they still want her gone.

In the hospital Lucas told the others that she died for a minute and then somehow came back to life. At the time he didn't know that's when Eleven entered the fray in her mind. So, yes, she was the fourth death.

I love Stranger Things and think this season has been excellent, but I agree that the storylines linked to both the US and Russian military have been pretty absurd. I'm granting creative license because the rest is so good.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    In the hospital Lucas told the others that she died for a minute and then somehow came back to life. At the time he didn't know that's when Eleven entered the fray in her mind. So, yes, she was the fourth death.
    Right, my interpretation of that was that the gate opened when Max was dead, but when El brought her back, it closed again. That's what all the news coverage of it spoke about a massive earthquake, not an apocalyptic gateway to a demon dimension -- "I'm Wolf Blitzer reporting from the edge of the pit to hell". But, in the final scene, the gate has reopened... which says to me that Max is dead.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

No one told me there would be homework with this show.

Right, my interpretation of that was that the gate opened when Max was dead, but when El brought her back, it closed again. That's what all the news coverage of it spoke about a massive earthquake, not an apocalyptic gateway to a demon dimension -- "I'm Wolf Blitzer reporting from the edge of the pit to hell". But, in the final scene, the gate has reopened... which says to me that Max is dead.
    Or perhaps the fourth gate didn’t really close. How easy is it to close a gate after it’s been opened?
    Carolina delenda est

I thought Season 4 was definitely the best of the four (and that's a decently high bar). Agree with JE that Eddie's decision to fight the bats alone made little sense, and I actually wish they hadn't killed him off. He was the breath of fresh air this season.

No way is Max dead. For one, she's arguably the best actress on the show. But she's also the person that ties them all together. And now she likely has some powers as well, at least she's been infected by One.

Season 5 should be great as well, though honestly, this would have been a good storyline to finish the series.

Just finished the last episode tonight. Ooof -- pretty intense.

Overall I loved the season, and thought it was really powerful in quite a few places.

* I thought everything about the Hawkins and Eleven storylines were terrific. Vecna was a fantastic villain, Max was suddenly one of the best characters the show's had, and I really liked what they did with Brenner too.
    * The other arcs were more throwaway and some of it was over-the-top, but these issue have always been there with the show. I think you just gotta roll with it, and at least for me, I had no trouble whatsoever doing so this time around.
    * I've missed problem-solving good-guy Mike the last couple seasons, but oh well -- it lets them give other characters more love. I really hope Will can get some more agency in Season 5 though -- poor guy's been a doormat from beginning to end.

Not sure how I'd compare this season with the others. Season 3's the only one I didn't love, and even there, I rewatched it before this one and liked it much better the second time around. I guess it was easier to just roll with it when I knew what to expect.