Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We enjoyed the first season which, as some posters have smartly pointed out, was essentially a prologue. If you had watched 10 episodes of the original GoT, you thought you knew the thrust of the core story and who your villains / heroes were. Of course, all that was upended and the seeds of a much larger story were being sown. Much like Ned's beheading served as catalyst, so too, did that awesome chomping scene do it for HOD. I'm 100% eager to see what comes next.

That said, the biggest difference to me so far has just been character dynamics and likability. Everyone has been so flipping serious and there haven't been too many laugh out loud or deliciously wicked moments as there were in the original. Robert Baratheon, all the Lannisters, Arya, Littlefinger, the Spider, the Hound, Joffrey and many others, were such FUN characters to loathe or love. I don't LOVE Daemon but he's an agent of chaos and very interesting to watch. Larys is pretty sick but I'm here for it. Aemond is building some villainy. Everyone else? I just don't find all that interesting so far. I hope that changes in Season 2.
    I don't disagree with anything you state here. I would point out that the ideas of "duty" for the Alicent and Rhaenyra and how they interpret that obligation is a very interesting theme. They are both walking the line of duty versus personal agency, making difficult decisions when what is expected of them conflicts with their desires.

I suspect the root of the animosity of Alicent towards Rhaeynera is her flippant attitude towards her station and expectations. This was really brought home when Alicent was with the King in bed and Rhaenyra was cavorting with Ser Cristin Cole.

Meanwhile, the root of Rhaenyra's ire towards Alicent is the wedge she represents between herself and her father. Having your best friend supplant your mother and start popping out children who represent a threat to your own birthright is a pretty serious jolt.

And yes, I've never seen so many birthing scenes in a show, but it really underscores that the most important accepted role of a woman in this position is just to birth male heirs.

Season 2 trailers are out, with one version focused on the Greens (Aegon, Alicent, Hightowers) and one version focused on the Blacks (Rhaenyra, Daemon, Valaryons):

Green
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gnxB9xZByyQ

Black
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=csSaSrJJPRs

The show returns June 16th.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Season 2 trailers are out, with one version focused on the Greens (Aegon, Alicent, Hightowers) and one version focused on the Blacks (Rhaenyra, Daemon, Valaryons):

Green
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gnxB9xZByyQ

Black
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=csSaSrJJPRs

The show returns June 16th.
    Those trailers succeeded. Cool!

I feel like the show has pretty clearly set up the Blacks as the good guys -- at least Rhaenyra, not as sure about Daemon -- and the greens as the usurpers to the throne. The setup for the two trailers was the notion of "who's side are you on?" After seeing Aemond and his dragon kill little Lucerys, I don't know how anyone could be rooting for the Hightowers.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?