Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    According to IMDB, Milly Aycock is 22. Probably 21 when this was filmed. So not quite Gabrielle Carteris.
    Seems I was referencing the actress who plays her later? (?)

I enjoy what they are building. Several threads being slowly unwound but not so much that you cannot follow the characters or the story.

A few random thoughts --

The crab pirate is clearly going to be more of a problem than the King thinks. That should be a fun one and I suspect it will lead to some dragon fighting action. I'm always down for dragons roasting crabs.

I like Lord Corlys (whew, trying to wed his 12 year old daughter to the King was a bold move!) and see him as a budding Littlefinger.

Over/Under on episodes until Princess Raenyra shares a kiss with Ser Criston Cole is 3.

So, is Alicent Hightower now going to be both Princess Raenyra's best friend and her mother?!?!? Oh, that won't get awkward at all.

What exactly was Lord Hightower's (the Hand) plan for confronting Daemon had Raenyra not shown up with her dragon? Did he think Daemon was just going to hand over the egg because a dozen knights were standings there? Daemon's dragon could have snuffed them all out in a heartbeat if he wanted to. Raenyra was right that taking a dragon (or two or three) would be the best way to make Daemon give up the egg. They need to give her more to do around the small table than just fill the water goblets.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, is Alicent Hightower now going to be both Princess Raenyra's best friend and her mother?!?!? Oh, that won't get awkward at all.
    And the mother to Raenyra's rival to the throne when she predictably has a boy next episode

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What exactly was Lord Hightower's (the Hand) plan for confronting Daemon had Raenyra not shown up with her dragon? Did he think Daemon was just going to hand over the egg because a dozen knights were standings there? Daemon's dragon could have snuffed them all out in a heartbeat if he wanted to. Raenyra was right that taking a dragon (or two or three) would be the best way to make Daemon give up the egg. They need to give her more to do around the small table than just fill the water goblets.
    They are not painting a picture of a world-class administration in Kings Landing. In GOT you could feel the weight of the unwinnable choices they had to make and the ruthlessness with which they operated, but these guys just seem to be bumbling around and making dumb decisions. Littlefinger could have manipulated his way onto the iron throne in 6 months had he been born 170 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post

They are not painting a picture of a world-class administration in Kings Landing. In GOT you could feel the weight of the unwinnable choices they had to make and the ruthlessness with which they operated, but these guys just seem to be bumbling around and making dumb decisions. Littlefinger could have manipulated his way onto the iron throne in 6 months had he been born 170 years earlier.
    I dunno, Baratheon senior and “Baratheon” junior were pretty bad kings.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Baratheon, Robert was inept and disappointing. Baratheon, Joffrey was evil.

Agree on Joffrey, and his reign lasted all of 10 minutes as a result. But dissent on Robert. He may have have gotten a little content and lazy by the time GOT started, but he successfully lead a rebellion and ruled for 15 years, showing a level of competence that has yet to be displayed by the current administration.

Agree on Joffrey, and his reign lasted all of 10 minutes as a result. But dissent on Robert. He may have have gotten a little content and lazy by the time GOT started, but he successfully lead a rebellion and ruled for 15 years, showing a level of competence that has yet to be displayed by the current administration.
    Robert was the President who loved to campaign but hated actually being President. He liked the fight not the talking.

Robert was the President who loved to campaign but hated actually being President. He liked the fight not the talking.
    He ruled a kingdom (that had previously been shattered by the reign of the Mad King) for 15 successful years, so I would imagine he had some ruling chops that we didn't get to see when GOT started. And he didn't have dragons to keep everyone in line like Targaryen kings did.

In GoT didn't they treat the existence of dragons as like a fable or questionable fiction? That's what I recall but I could be misremembering. That doesn't seem to make sense given the obvious and clear existence of dragons only 170 years before, less than 2 generations.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    In GoT didn't they treat the existence of dragons as like a fable or questionable fiction? That's what I recall but I could be misremembering. That doesn't seem to make sense given the obvious and clear existence of dragons only 170 years before, less than 2 generations.
    I think there was an assumption that they were extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Well, and think about the things that have been forgotten or are the subject of significant disagreement in 200 years even with the benefit of modern forensics and historical study.

Well, and think about the things that have been forgotten or are the subject of significant disagreement in 200 years even with the benefit of modern forensics and historical study.
    200 years? 60 years. 6 years. 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    200 years? 60 years. 6 years. 2 years.
    Yesterday.

He ruled a kingdom (that had previously been shattered by the reign of the Mad King) for 15 successful years, so I would imagine he had some ruling chops that we didn't get to see when GOT started. And he didn't have dragons to keep everyone in line like Targaryen kings did.
    Well, yeah, he brought some semblance of sanity after the Mad King but I guess I still wouldn't call him a great king. He was a politically astute king, at least, with the marriage to Cersei. However, it's made pretty clear he's indifferent to the ins and outs of ruling and apparently oblivious to the machinations around him. The debt he runs up to the Lannisters and Bank of Braavos is also prettttyyyy short-sighted.

"I'm not trying to honor you. I'm trying to get you to run my kingdom while I eat, drink, and whore my way to an early grave." - RB

I mean, you gotta take the guy at his word, right?!?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I was wondering:

1. There was no explanation as to where the 3 eggs, that Daenerys received, came from. A Bazaar? Farmers Market? Bids on Westros-bay?
    2. If dragons were extinct for ... 200 years, how long do those eggs stay 'fresh?' Apparently at least 200 years.
    3. If dragons were so valuable, why didn't anyone throw them into a fire before? They didn't have to follow them in.
    4. Dragon eggs are so small relative to a dragon's size, it doesn't make sense. How would a dragon tell its egg from a stone?
    5. Did the Targaryens have a controlled dragon breeding program (Dragons seemed to be under tight control) or did they just let them go at it in the sky occasionally at night? I want details!

More Dragons!!

Larry
    DragonHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    I was wondering:

1. There was no explanation as to where the 3 eggs, that Daenerys received, came from. A Bazaar? Farmers Market? Bids on Westros-bay?
    2. If dragons were extinct for ... 200 years, how long do those eggs stay 'fresh?' Apparently at least 200 years.
    3. If dragons were so valuable, why didn't anyone throw them into a fire before? They didn't have to follow them in.
    4. Dragon eggs are so small relative to a dragon's size, it doesn't make sense. How would a dragon tell its egg from a stone?
    5. Did the Targaryens have a controlled dragon breeding program (Dragons seemed to be under tight control) or did they just let them go at it occasionally at night? I want details!

More Dragons!!

Larry
    DragonHorse
    Seems to me the dragons must be, well, "incubated" in fire. GoT dragons were born after Dany was burned to a crisp. HOD eggs seem to be kept over a steno burner.

This is my explanation. To be perfectly honest, I'm not expending too much life force pondering the internal logic of dragon eggs on a television show. They show me eggs hatching, I'm down. They tell me dragons were presumed extinct, I believe them.

As far as the institutional disbelief in dragons - it makes sense to me. If you've never seen a dragon. And your parents and grandparents never saw a dragon. How likely are you to believe they are hanging around? That's a... 80 year window? Being generous?

Double that, and I find it very believable that society would not believe they exist and begin to doubt whether they ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Seems to me the dragons must be, well, "incubated" in fire. GoT dragons were born after Dany was burned to a crisp. HOD eggs seem to be kept over a steno burner.

This is my explanation. To be perfectly honest, I'm not expending too much life force pondering the internal logic of dragon eggs on a television show. They show me eggs hatching, I'm down. They tell me dragons were presumed extinct, I believe them.

As far as the institutional disbelief in dragons - it makes sense to me. If you've never seen a dragon. And your parents and grandparents never saw a dragon. How likely are you to believe they are hanging around? That's a... 80 year window? Being generous?

Double that, and I find it very believable that society would not believe they exist and begin to doubt whether they ever did.
    Somehow I figure an 'ancient' culture would have worshiped dragons like a deity, and perhaps started a religion around it. Yet these folks went in the opposite direction.
    Considering that the dragons left bones/skulls/fossils they would be hard to deny; paper mache probably wasn't invented yet.

Larry
    DragonHorse

Somehow I figure an 'ancient' culture would have worshiped dragons like a deity, and perhaps started a religion around it. Yet these folks went in the opposite direction.
    Considering that the dragons left bones/skulls/fossils they would be hard to deny; paper mache probably wasn't invented yet.

Larry
    DragonHorse
    I have no retort. It's fantasy.

My only issue is Season 1 Episode 2 felt like Attack of the Clones.

Larry
    DragonHorse

Wait, what? The existence of dragons were never denied in GoT, they were just presumed extinct...along with most of the Targaryens.

The eggs in GoT were all believed to have turned to stone. It's probably not a surprise that GRRM has a whole history and backstory to the decline of the dragons.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.ph...on_and_Revival

Wait, what? The existence of dragons were never denied in GoT, they were just presumed extinct...along with most of the Targaryens.

The eggs in GoT were all believed to have turned to stone. It's probably not a surprise that GRRM has a whole history and backstory to the decline of the dragons.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.ph...on_and_Revival
    Wow! Great wedding gift idea.

Larry
    DragonHorse