Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Some notes on proctor from a new On3 scouting report on him that's not behind a paywall:

Considering our No. 1 wish for a starting 2-guard from the portal was a shooter, if Proctor can live up to that billing while providing the upside of his youth, size, and potential defensive prowess, that's a win.

That said, at the end of this article the writer projects our starting big court as Mitchell and Filipowski, with Lively coming off the bench. Which, well, is laughable. So perhaps we should take this with a grain of salt.

Or maybe he knows something we don't.

Some notes on proctor from a new On3 scouting report on him that's not behind a paywall:

Considering our No. 1 wish for a starting 2-guard from the portal was a shooter, if Proctor can live up to that billing while providing the upside of his youth, size, and potential defensive prowess, that's a win.

That said, at the end of this article the writer projects our starting big court as Mitchell and Filipowski, with Lively coming off the bench. Which, well, is laughable. So perhaps we should take this with a grain of salt.
    In this era of OAD, is being called a "multi-year college player" a knock against his skills, i.e. he is not good enough to go pro after his freshman year? I think it is pretty unanimous that he is unlikely to stay more than a year.

I don't think it is likely... but I don't think it is laughable either. I suspect Filipowski will get some time at center next year with Mitchell playing alongside him. I think it will be interesting to see if Duke tells Lively to just go crazy and try to block everything, knowing that foul trouble in the post won't really be a worry with both Flip and Young as quite capable post players also on the roster. In a case like that, we may see Lively only average around 20 minutes per game, which would leave a good chunk of time where Flip and Mitchell would likely be on the floor together.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    In this era of OAD, is being called a "multi-year college player" a knock against his skills, i.e. he is not good enough to go pro after his freshman year? I think it is pretty unanimous that he is unlikely to stay more than a year.
    Well, in the press release he's wearing #1, and in the last decade or so no player wearing #1 has stayed more than one year:

2022- Trevor Keels

2021- Jalen Johnson

2020 - Vernon Carey

2019 - Zion Williamson

2018 - Trevon Duval

2017 - Harry Giles

2014 - Jabari Parker

2011 - Kyrie Irving

If Proctor wears #1? It's over.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Honestly, I get the sense that because he's played in Australia he's way underranked/undervalued by most of these recruiting sites, especially given the success that Australian players from his program have had in the league lately. Given the potential for a Shaedon Sharpe situation, I view getting him on campus for this year as nothing but a positive, and any possibility of him sticking around a bonus.

As an aside, while there is a lot of "what if's" to think about regarding the potential of a senior Jeremy Roach, if Proctor is OAD that makes Jeremy sticking around for 2023-24, and being in a similar two PG backcourt with Foster, much more viable. Roach, Foster, and Proctor would probably be too many cooks in the kitchen.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Gotta love that Aussie accent!
    He sounds a lot like Jack White!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The 2017-2018 team is also a good point of comparison (which I will be pointing to a lot this offseason it seems): 4 freshman starters around a senior Grayson, with the main bench contributors being a sophomore Marques Bolden (13 mpg), Junior Javin DeLaurier (12.7 mpg) and freshman Alex O'Connell (10.4 mpg).
    Minor correction. Javin DeLaurier was a sophomore in 2017-'18.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Minor correction. Javin DeLaurier was a sophomore in 2017-'18.
    Ohhh yup, good catch. So that team was even younger than I gave them credit for.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    In looking for recent video of Tyrese Proctor, this was an interesting and informative one. From the recent (2022, I think?) NBA Academy, he spends 24 minutes being interviewed, while reviewing his own game film. Nice to hear him speak, see the kind of training he has been receiving, while also getting a breakdown of his strengths and developing skills.

https://youtu.be/2SYJcoXn8EY
    Thanks for posting that. He is clearly always looking to improve, and his self-analysis was very good about not being result-oriented. A couple of times after he was shown making a bucket or getting a successful stop, he would say, "Yeah, I really probably should have done <something else>." Good to hear that from someone that young. I'd say he's a good passer but not a great one, and I'd like to see him try to lose the slight hesitation he has in the high point on his release, but he looks like he'll be able to be a solid contributor. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action next year.

Honestly, I get the sense that because he's played in Australia he's way underranked/undervalued by most of these recruiting sites, especially given the success that Australian players from his program have had in the league lately. Given the potential for a Shaedon Sharpe situation, I view getting him on campus for this year as nothing but a positive, and any possibility of him sticking around a bonus.

As an aside, while there is a lot of "what if's" to think about regarding the potential of a senior Jeremy Roach, if Proctor is OAD that makes Jeremy sticking around for 2023-24, and being in a similar two PG backcourt with Foster, much more viable. Roach, Foster, and Proctor would probably be too many cooks in the kitchen.
    Going to be hard to keep McCain on the bench. Proctor will be gone but a 3 guard lineup w Foster on the wing would be hard to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Well, in the press release he's wearing #1, and in the last decade or so no player wearing #1 has stayed more than one year:

2022- Trevor Keels

2021- Jalen Johnson

2020 - Vernon Carey

2019 - Zion Williamson

2018 - Trevon Duval

2017 - Harry Giles

2014 - Jabari Parker

2011 - Kyrie Irving

If Proctor wears #1? It's over.
    Maybe Duke should retire the #1 before the season.

A big advantage this team has over 2017-18 is Jr Jeremy Roach vs Fr Trevon Duvall at PG. That’s no small thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    A big advantage this team has over 2017-18 is Jr Jeremy Roach vs Fr Trevon Duvall at PG. That’s no small thing.
    It's a great thing to have a junior PG vs. a freshman PG, but statistically I think any advantage Jeremy has over Trevon Duval might not be much of a big thing, either. Hopefully Jeremy will make a big leap next season, but we can't yet know if that will happen and last season he was only better than Duval's sole season at scoring and turnovers plus a tad better at defensive rebounding, but was worse at most of the efficiency stats and way worse at assisting and steals. Believe it or not, over the full season their effective shooting% and free throw rate were about the same (though Jeremy shot better when he got to the line). I'd probably call it a wash or possibly even a slight edge to Duval, since he was probably a better defender and assist rate is a very important stat for a PG (though obviously TO rate is as well).

Code:
    Player			pts/40	rebs/40	asts/40	oRat	dRat	PER	eFG	FTR	or%	dr%	ast%	stl%	TO%	usg	ws/40	BPM
    Jeremy Roach		17.2	4.8	6.3	106.4	105.2	11.7	47.7	27.8	1.4	7.4	16.9	1.7	16.2	17.3	0.095	1.3
    Trevon Duval		13.8	3.8	10.6	104.3	103.2	13.8	47.3	25.7	2.1	4.9	30.3	2.8	20.8	21.3	0.108	3.2

Young team

I hope we don't ever hear Coach Scheyer say we got knocked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    It's a great thing to have a junior PG vs. a freshman PG, but statistically I think any advantage Jeremy has over Trevon Duval might not be much of a big thing, either. Hopefully Jeremy will make a big leap next season, but we can't yet know if that will happen and last season he was only better than Duval's sole season at scoring and turnovers plus a tad better at defensive rebounding, but was worse at most of the efficiency stats and way worse at assisting and steals. Believe it or not, over the full season their effective shooting% and free throw rate were about the same (though Jeremy shot better when he got to the line). I'd probably call it a wash or possibly even a slight edge to Duval, since he was probably a better defender and assist rate is a very important stat for a PG (though obviously TO rate is as well).

Code:
    Player			pts/40	rebs/40	asts/40	oRat	dRat	PER	eFG	FTR	or%	dr%	ast%	stl%	TO%	usg	ws/40	BPM
    Jeremy Roach		17.2	4.8	6.3	106.4	105.2	11.7	47.7	27.8	1.4	7.4	16.9	1.7	16.2	17.3	0.095	1.3
    Trevon Duval		13.8	3.8	10.6	104.3	103.2	13.8	47.3	25.7	2.1	4.9	30.3	2.8	20.8	21.3	0.108	3.2
    Is it fair to ding Jeremy for his assist rate when shared the floor with 2 or 3 other initiators every time he was on the floor? Trevon only really had to contend with Grayson. Jeremy can definitely stand to improve his assist rate, but it is hard to rack up assists with a gaggle of other players starting the offense. Trevon also had a pair of back to the basket bigs who were fairly high up on the offensive pecking order along with 4 guys who shot 40% from 3 plus another who shot 37%.

My daughter has a friend from college who lives in Tasmania. She just emailed me saying she was watching Proctor’s team play Hobart’s NBL1 team, the Hobart Chargers, on tv. Said he was good!

Quote Originally Posted by jb75 View Post
    My daughter has a friend from college who lives in Tasmania. She just emailed me saying she was watching Proctor’s team play Hobart’s NBL1 team, the Hobart Chargers, on tv. Said he was good!
    In Tasmania, watching a Devil play? What could be better?

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Is it fair to ding Jeremy for his assist rate when shared the floor with 2 or 3 other initiators every time he was on the floor? Trevon only really had to contend with Grayson. Jeremy can definitely stand to improve his assist rate, but it is hard to rack up assists with a gaggle of other players starting the offense. Trevon also had a pair of back to the basket bigs who were fairly high up on the offensive pecking order along with 4 guys who shot 40% from 3 plus another who shot 37%.
    Jeremy's assist rate was the same his freshman year as it was his sophomore year. It wasn't that strong in high school, either. He's really always been more of a shoot-first combo guard/PG. Duval on the other hand, had a very high assist rate in high school and a very high assist rate in college. He's always been more of a pass-first PG. I don't think it's "dinging" Jeremy for saying Duval is a more willing (and probably better) passer. Especially in the context of the OP saying that Roach over Duval at PG is a "big advantage" for the 2023 team over the 2018 team.

Quote Originally Posted by jb75 View Post
    We can also watch that game online here:
    https://nbl1.com.au/games/8a527d95-7...3ada3/wildcard

He led the team with 16 points in 24 minutes.

This is the same team that Jack White played for before his freshman year at Duke. Unlike previous years, they are not playing in one league, instead touring the country and playing teams from all the NBL1 divisions. Opponents vary in strength, but a typical team in this league has two Americans and a few Australians with experience at the higher NBL level or in college in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    We can also watch that game online here:
    https://nbl1.com.au/games/8a527d95-7...3ada3/wildcard

He led the team with 16 points in 24 minutes.

This is the same team that Jack White played for before his freshman year at Duke. Unlike previous years, they are not playing in one league, instead touring the country and playing teams from all the NBL1 divisions. Opponents vary in strength, but a typical team in this league has two Americans and a few Australians with experience at the higher NBL level or in college in the United States.
    Tyrese scored those 16 points playing against AJ Harris, who was All-WAC Defensive team when he was at New Mexico State a few years ago. To put up numbers like that on a top tier defensive player who is like 25 years old... impressive.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?