Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    Exciting news. Is he a 1 or a 2. Will definitely take this. Could he be the 1 and Roach the 2? Maybe they will be interchangeable?

Brings back an excitement factor to next year that I lost a little last night
    I looked up his Australia team U20 stats (combined, 2021 and 2022): 13 games, 20.1 ppg; 5.5 rpg; 3.0 apg; 1.5 spg.

Three point shooting: 38.2% on 7.8 three-attempts per game; two-point shooting: 53.9%; FT shooting: 80% on 1.9 FTA per game.

I read that he's a Josh Giddey-type player, but he's three inches shorter, appears to be a much better shooter, and a much less prolific passer, which would seem to make him more of a SG than a PG. He does appear to have Giddey-like hair, though.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I looked up his Australia team U20 stats (combined, 2021 and 2022): 13 games, 20.1 ppg; 5.5 rpg; 3.0 apg; 1.5 spg.

Three point shooting: 38.2% on 7.8 three-attempts per game; two-point shooting: 53.9%; FT shooting: 80% on 1.9 FTA per game.

I read that he's a Josh Giddey-type player, but he's three inches shorter, appears to be a much better shooter, and a much less prolific passer, which would seem to make him more of a SG than a PG. He does appear to have Giddey-like hair, though.
    Most encouraging for me is that in what I’ve seen and read (plan to do a deeper dive for a front page piece soon), Proctor’s defense is a plus for a guy at his level. He has a solid 6-7 wing span and appears to use it to his advantage on D.

If Proctor is indeed a solid defender, this team could be a very good defensive team, with Flip the only potential weak link (and he’s really just more of an unknown).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Although this was just announced, I assume this plan has been in motion for awhile. It was always peculiar that Procter would wait given his age and the fact that he graduated 6 months ago.
    I don't think it's much of a Gamble on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Wow. This is impressively bad.

Already up on GoDuke.com
    https://goduke.com/

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Lol.

Good stuff. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Sure Proctor is a great player,but Duke needs experience in the NCAA. What happens with Ramey or Grandison decision?
    Something tells me that Ramey will be in Houston next season.

This worked out pretty well in terms of getting Proctor on campus. There was a lot of chatter that Tyrese would go straight to the draft and never suit up at Duke since he turns 19 next summer. Appears that was likely indeed going to be the case as he has reclassified the day after Keels’ announcement. If given the choice, I’d rather Duke have an experienced guard in Keels on the roster. But this isn’t a bad alternative, and the raw talent is there. We’re just so very young. And of course we’ll be going through all of this again at this time next year.

This could work. Hard to tell with highlight tapes but he does seem to have NBA range and very good handles. I assume he’s coming to be our starting 2-guard and could also give Jeremy a breather at the 1. However, I do not believe that this is Plan B or C in case Keels or Green did not work out, as according to the Athletic this has been in the works for weeks. An ideal outcome is to still get another veteran guard who can shoot, play solid D, and bring experience to this team.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Most encouraging for me is that in what I’ve seen and read (plan to do a deeper dive for a front page piece soon), Proctor’s defense is a plus for a guy at his level. He has a solid 6-7 wing span and appears to use it to his advantage on D.

If Proctor is indeed a solid defender, this team could be a very good defensive team, with Flip the only potential weak link (and he’s really just more of an unknown).
    WRT Flip as a "minus" defender....Maybe. What he lacks in foot speed, I think he'll make up for in toughness and willingness to mix it up. Further, reports are that Flip is a very aggressive rebounder. And that is a huge part of playing defense. All the missed shots in the world don't matter until the team on defense secures the rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Something tells me that Ramey will be in Houston next season.
    I felt that way prior to Duke's news tonight.

The Athletic article about this said this decision was made many weeks ago and was independent of Keels. He's going through the legal process for getting the required papers and visa taken care of. There's no clear timeline on when that will be done. The timing is in the hands of the bureaucracy now.

Article also said sources indicate Ramey unlikely to join Duke.

Source: https://theathletic.com/3346593/2022...shared-article

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    This could work. Hard to tell with highlight tapes but he does seem to have NBA range and very good handles. I assume he’s coming to be our starting 2-guard and could also give Jeremy a breather at the 1. However, I do not believe that this is Plan B or C in case Keels or Green did not work out, as according to the Athletic this has been in the works for weeks. An ideal outcome is to still get another veteran guard who can shoot, play solid D, and bring experience to this team.
    I think this goes back to when Proctor announced for Duke. I didn't post it here, or even speak it into existence, but I was really worried about him ever showing up. I sort of thought it would be a situation where he'd spend time at some draft prep camp or whatever, and enter next year's pretty weak draft (especially at the guard spot) without ever playing hoops.

In retrospect, I have to wonder if Proctor wasn't plan A for the staff, who might have known that Keels was probably going pro, no matter what. Vis a vis another thread, I feel like the staff kept the door open, for various reasons. I think Proctor was the plan all along. Obviously, Keels returning would be the best outcome, but I like Proctor more than any of the transfers we had any measurable chance of getting. There were a few transfer guards I'd have liked more than Proctor, and even then not by much, but we were never in the running for any of them. Proctor, if he can get on campus by July, is a great option.

This might well have been the plan, and not even a backup one, from back in October. Once Keels had that monster game vs KY, he seemed like he was leaning towards leaving. Not that he checked out or anything, but just that he was prepared to leave. I think the staff pitched a great plan to Proctor. If Keels left early, Duke was a great landing spot for Proctor as a OAD type player. If Keels didn't go pro, or returned....Well, Proctor never really had to step on a college campus. By sidestepping college, Proctor probably goes mid first round or later. He has a chance to move closer to the lottery.

This is a mutually beneficial situation for all parties. Good long term planning.

We just got a whole lot younger!

Come on in Tyrese!

Could we get another front page photo. The defender's hairstyle is not as bad as Reggie Bullock,however would like to see a different photo of Proctor in action.

Quote Originally Posted by HayYou View Post
    WRT Flip as a "minus" defender...Maybe. What he lacks in foot speed, I think he'll make up for in toughness and willingness to mix it up. Further, reports are that Flip is a very aggressive rebounder. And that is a huge part of playing defense. All the missed shots in the world don't matter until the team on defense secures the rebound.
    And good instincts?? Sounds a bit like a bird of the past…. hmmmm

Could we get another front page photo. The defender's hairstyle is not as bad as Reggie Bullock,however would like to see a different photo of Proctor in action.
    SBN has a handful of photo agencies from which we can embed pics, and we have to work from their catalogs. (And their indices aren’t always great, either, hampering the search.)

- jk

Sure Proctor is a great player,but Duke needs experience in the NCAA. What happens with Ramey or Grandison decision?
    There was never any indication we were in contact with Grandison, so I am not sure this affects his decision at all.

Ramey will probably choose one of the other programs now. Arizona, Louisville, and Houston we’re mentioned, though Houston may be out with Sasser returning.

Louisville is all up on Ramey (who committed there many coaches and many scandals ago before one of said scandals sent him to Texas).

I guess it’s nice to have Proctor but this has to be the least experienced Duke team in the OAD era right? Among expected contributors so not counting say Kale Catchings. Made all the more obvious by teams like UNC, Gonzaga and Kentucky bringing back their experienced (and loved) stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    Exciting news. Is he a 1 or a 2. Will definitely take this. Could he be the 1 and Roach the 2? Maybe they will be interchangeable?
    Interchangeable is how I would think of them. Proctor is listed in some places as a combo guard, and I frankly think that Roach plays more like a combo than a PG, as well (although he did gradually get more "point like" as last season progressed). I think this will be a really nice 1-2 punch at guard. For me, this was a pleasant surprise that came right out of the blue, but then, I'm less informed than most.