Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Tyrese Proctor reclassifying

And there it is. Proctor will reclassify and be on campus for the upcoming season. Per his Twitter. I guess that was plan B or C all along. Kinda makes sense. He’s eligible for next years draft anyway.

Beat me to it. Here’s more:

"We have had extensive talks with Tyrese and his family over the last few weeks and we are thrilled to be welcoming him on the 2022-23 team," said Scheyer. "Tyrese has a special feel for the game with great scoring instincts who will add to the versatility, competitiveness, and high character of this team. He is such an advanced player with an international basketball resume that includes his NBA Global Academy experience who is more than ready to take on this opportunity right now."

Quote Originally Posted by stingy View Post
    Beat me to it. Here’s more:

"We have had extensive talks with Tyrese and his family over the last few weeks and we are thrilled to be welcoming him on the 2022-23 team," said Scheyer. "Tyrese has a special feel for the game with great scoring instincts who will add to the versatility, competitiveness, and high character of this team. He is such an advanced player with an international basketball resume that includes his NBA Global Academy experience who is more than ready to take on this opportunity right now."
    Just saw this, why didn’t he reclass earlier if he could? Isn’t he 19?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Playing time and offensive opportunities probably? Would've been 3rd guard behind Roach and Keels.

Hmmm. Hope it works out well. It solves the crowd in 2023-24. But I would prefer a more experienced guard.

I didn't expect another 5-star in the rotation. All things considered, this is a really exciting development.

Jason and the podcast crew must be facepalming so hard right now.

Anyway, for those as out of it as I am:

Tyrese Proctor is a 19-YO guard from Canberra, Australia. He is 6-4 and 170 pounds.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Jason and the podcast crew must be facepalming so hard right now.
    Haha, I looked at my phone and gasped. But, I'd like to think that our latest episode prompted him to go ahead and make it official!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Sure Proctor is a great player,but Duke needs experience in the NCAA. What happens with Ramey or Grandison decision?

Wow! Things are changing fast! Wasn’t really expecting this. I know that Jason mentioned this could be a possibility. I hear this Proctor kid is really good and also already 19. Hey, we’re gonna be young but we’re gonna be really good. Welcome to Duke Tyrese!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    From what I just read, there was a chance Proctor went pro after this year anyways without even playing at Duke if he didn't reclassify.
    Last edited by WHOneedsSOX; 06-02-2022 at 09:37 PM.

Good news. All things being equal I would have preferred someone with experience, but I would rather have a freshman superstar than a significantly weaker player with experience.

How quickly can we get him on campus? Most of the rest of the team is there. For this to really be as helpful as possible, we need him there working out with the team immediately.

Although this was just announced, I assume this plan has been in motion for awhile. It was always peculiar that Procter would wait given his age and the fact that he graduated 6 months ago. I'm normally skeptical of kids coming early (not including top guys like Bagley who reclass to their original class) like Baker, Murphy and even Thornton. But given Proctor's age, I feared a Shaedon Sharpe situation should he wait.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Talent wise, this Duke team is gonna be able to hang with anyone. Is that enough? We’ll see, but surrounding a veteran point guard with a heck of a lot of NBA caliber talent isn’t the worst way to build a team.

Right now this team reminds me a lot of the 2017-18 squad. That team had four 5* freshman surrounding Grayson. This team will have four 5* freshmen surrounding Jeremy. This year we probably don’t have as high level a talent as Marvin Bagley, but one could argue the pieces fit together a bit better this year and the D could be better.

It’ll be interesting to see whether we can find an extra piece in the portal now with the minutes Proctor will merit. If we do the ceiling all of a sudden looks pretty high, even though the youth makes the floor lower than we’d ideally like.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Hmmm. Hope it works out well. It solves the crowd in 2023-24. But I would prefer a more experienced guard.
    It will be one young team - but it could be something to watch. From all accounts- Proctor can really handle and create space on his shot. I will take a good ball handler on a college team any day. This Duke team will have a lot of pieces- just need to come together as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It will be one young team - but it could be something to watch. From all accounts- Proctor can really handle and create space on his shot. I will take a good ball handler on a college team any day. This Duke team will have a lot of pieces- just need to come together as a team.
    Exciting news. Is he a 1 or a 2. Will definitely take this. Could he be the 1 and Roach the 2? Maybe they will be interchangeable?

Brings back an excitement factor to next year that I lost a little last night

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    Exciting news. Is he a 1 or a 2. Will definitely take this. Could he be the 1 and Roach the 2? Maybe they will be interchangeable?

Yeah no doubt it will be a really talented and exciting team. Proctor is a combo guard, so he will fit nicely with Roach and Whitehead as playmakers. In terms of pure talent he probably exceeds any of the possibilities including Keels and Green. But he is young and has no college experience. So there is risk, but it could also pay off big.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post

He’s listed as a PG and I like his size paired with Roach. I definitely feel better about this team now but it might take awhile for the team to figure things out with all the inexperience. The potential is there if we find enough outside shooting.

Edit: it looks like CDu is right that Duke considers him a combo guard - 247 lists him as a PG

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Talent wise, this Duke team is gonna be able to hang with anyone. Is that enough? We’ll see, but surrounding a veteran point guard with a heck of a lot of NBA caliber talent isn’t the worst way to build a team.

Right now this team reminds me a lot of the 2017-18 squad. That team had four 5* freshman surrounding Grayson. This team will have four 5* freshmen surrounding Jeremy. This year we probably don’t have as high level a talent as Marvin Bagley, but one could argue the pieces fit together a bit better this year and the D could be better.

It’ll be interesting to see whether we can find an extra piece in the portal now with the minutes Proctor will merit. If we do the ceiling all of a sudden looks pretty high, even though the youth makes the floor lower than we’d ideally like.
    Higher ceiling, lower floor! So much room to shine!