Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Kenobi Spoiler Thread (No Leaks!)

I suppose it is time to get this thing started. Obviously this thread will have spoilers for episodes that have aired, but I think we should try to keep it leak free. There were some wonderful surprises in the first two episodes and ideally we can participate in this thread without ruining the opportunity for more of that the rest of the way. I am still on cloud 9 after watching the episodes last night (I had debated setting my alarm and getting up at 3 a.m., but saw shortly before I went to bed that they had been put up early and I had to stay up and watch them). My initial thoughts are a little more flow of consciousness reaction, I'll save most of my plot breakdowns/theorizing for a little later.

Here is a movie poster to give a little buffer before the spoilers.

test.jpg

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

I had given absolutely no consideration to the idea that we would see a young Leia. I teared up as soon as I realized we were about to see her, and had tears in my eyes for much of the rest of the way. Her and Obi-Wan on screen together was magic (I may have some critiques about some of the writing but it really didn't detract from the experience for me).

Ewan McGregor was fantastic throughout as a broken Ben Kenobi. Really painful at times (in a good way), as was seeing the broken/homeless Clone Trooper begging. I thought the way he reacted to the other Jedi (both pre and post death) were excellently done. As a big fan of jawas I really enjoyed his jawa "merchant". Those facial expressions packed a punch. Between McGregor and Guinness it hard not to just be absolutely in love with the character.

Uncle Owen was a nice surprise and I hope we see a good bit more of him. His interactions with Ben were priceless, and he absolutely crushed Obi-Wan when he through the box of model parts back at him. Always great to see Bail Organa (and, again, seeing him with Leia was wonderful, as was getting to see Alderaan up close). There are so many other touching or emotional moments that it would feel almost silly to just sit here listing them all.

I did not love the Inquisitors, but I thought the show kind of struggled with trying too hard to "establish" some of the characters in general so I'm kind of hoping that now that the introductions are out of the way things will feel a little more natural. I do think some of the "offness" of the Third Sister was intentional and will end up being plot relevant, it will be interesting to see how good that payoff is. I'll save my other thoughts along these lines for later.

I hope everyone enjoyed the first two episodes as much as I did! This is pretty much the feeling I had walking out of The Force Awakens, what feels like a lifetime ago (of course YMMV on that comparison). Totally elated and excited for the future (err...of Star Wars at least ).

One word:

Flea.

Really enjoyed the two episodes.

I enjoyed these episodes. Not as attuned to the details, but well done. Got the feeling in parts that I was watching Liam Neeson in “Taken” - and smiled at the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I enjoyed these episodes. Not as attuned to the details, but well done. Got the feeling in parts that I was watching Liam Neeson in “Taken” - and smiled at the connection.
    The ending chase/escape scenes of episode two seemed like a combination of John Wick and the Matrix. “Tick-Tock Mr. Kenobi”

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    One word:

Flea.

Really enjoyed the two episodes.
    Ha! I jumped up and was like "That's Flea!", to which my gf was trying to figure out who "Flea" was and if "Flea" was in any of the Star Wars movies.

Overall I liked it very much, and I'm locked in. However, I could see how someone not tuned in with Rebels would be like "Huh?"
    They did their best to explain the Inquisitors, but I can see how if this were my first exposure, I'd be confused. I'm totally curious about the Grand Inquisitor, because of course as a character, he ain't dead yet, not at least until a few years from now. Now, Star Wars famously has a way of not actually killing important people off, but another option is THIS one is dead, and the one played by Jason Isaacs is still to come. I find that doubtful, though, and think he merely got his kidneys scratched. (PS, I think they did a better job with the Fifth Brother than they did with the Grand Inquisitor, at least as far as animation to live-action, unless of course Jason Isaacs does show up.)

In an odd way, I have far less question about Obi-Wan than I do anyone else!
    As always, I was looking for Easter Eggs, such as the model that Obi-Wan tried to give Luke. C-3PO and R2 of course had to obligatorily show up. I'm sure there are couple more I'll find after another viewing.

Lastly...there's a reason they showed Order 66 being executed in the Temple at the beginning, but after the great recap from the movies. I'm guessing that we'll learn that the 3rd Sister is one of those younglings we first saw. Why she's so hell bent on getting Kenobi, who wasn't even there, (but Anakin/Vader was, of course) we'll likely learn as the show goes on. Maybe Anakin spared her?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Ha! I jumped up and was like "That's Flea!", to which my gf was trying to figure out who "Flea" was and if "Flea" was in any of the Star Wars movies.

Overall I liked it very much, and I'm locked in. However, I could see how someone not tuned in with Rebels would be like "Huh?"
    They did their best to explain the Inquisitors, but I can see how if this were my first exposure, I'd be confused. I'm totally curious about the Grand Inquisitor, because of course as a character, he ain't dead yet, not at least until a few years from now. Now, Star Wars famously has a way of not actually killing important people off, but another option is THIS one is dead, and the one played by Jason Isaacs is still to come. I find that doubtful, though, and think he merely got his kidneys scratched. (PS, I think they did a better job with the Fifth Brother than they did with the Grand Inquisitor, at least as far as animation to live-action, unless of course Jason Isaacs does show up.)

In an odd way, I have far less question about Obi-Wan than I do anyone else!
    As always, I was looking for Easter Eggs, such as the model that Obi-Wan tried to give Luke. C-3PO and R2 of course had to obligatorily show up. I'm sure there are couple more I'll find after another viewing.

Lastly...there's a reason they showed Order 66 being executed in the Temple at the beginning, but after the great recap from the movies. I'm guessing that we'll learn that the 3rd Sister is one of those younglings we first saw. Why she's so hell bent on getting Kenobi, who wasn't even there, (but Anakin/Vader was, of course) we'll likely learn as the show goes on. Maybe Anakin spared her?
    FWIW, I never watched Rebels. I got the sense that they are former Jedi now hinting them for the dark side. If there’s a deeper thing, it’s not apparent to me yet (and no reason to explain it — I’ll find out in due course if the series is written well).

Agree on your last paragraph. That, too< shall be revealed.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    FWIW, I never watched Rebels. I got the sense that they are former Jedi now hinting them for the dark side. If there’s a deeper thing, it’s not apparent to me yet (and no reason to explain it — I’ll find out in due course if the series is written well).

Agree on your last paragraph. That, too< shall be revealed.
    You sensed right. (If not Jedi, they were at least "force sensitive") The Grand Inquisitor was more than your random Jedi though, he was a guard at the Temple, kind of like the guys in the bear hats at Buckingham Palace.

I always wonder about those guys...I mean I get that it's an honor, but does it also mean that you actually suck when it comes to being in combat?
    "Well Ed can't fight his way out of a paper bag, but he dresses better than any other soldier I know. He'll look good in this big hat."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

You sensed right. (If not Jedi, they were at least "force sensitive") The Grand Inquisitor was more than your random Jedi though, he was a guard at the Temple, kind of like the guys in the bear hats at Buckingham Palace.

I always wonder about those guys...I mean I get that it's an honor, but does it also mean that you actually suck when it comes to being in combat?
    "Well Ed can't fight his way out of a paper bag, but he dresses better than any other soldier I know. He'll look good in this big hat."
    EB525E8D-8A46-4986-B3D6-75FF4F22875E.jpg

The ending chase/escape scenes of episode two seemed like a combination of John Wick and the Matrix. “Tick-Tock Mr. Kenobi”
    Funny, I was thinking about adding the John Wick reference as well.

I largely enjoyed it. Enjoyed the “recap”. Loved seeing live action clones. Loved seeing the old clone there (so pissed it wasn’t Rex!). McGregor was great, all beaten down. LOVED seeing Alderaan. That’s clearly R2 buried in the sand, right? Liked seeing 3PO… first place we saw him was on Leias ship, after all.

Some things I didn’t like. Hated how much “lets chase this person very ineffectively!” there was, especially with Leia. Some terrible lack of intelligence/editing… like, when Obi Wan is in that shoot out on the roof, why wouldn’t that lizard guy take cover? And how, when Leia jumps, does that 4Lom robot guy just… disappear? And how did Obi Wan get from the roof to the ground in, like, two seconds? And what is the chance of the inquisitors landing and talking to Owen RIGHT when Obi Wan was there. Didn’t like the third sister… just the way she delivers dialogue was awkward. Hated the way the Grand Inquisitor looked, and don’t get his death? Kumail seemed off tone.

Fingers crossed it gets better, but I basically enjoyed it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Some things I didn’t like. Hated how much “lets chase this person very ineffectively!” there was, especially with Leia. S.
    My girlfriend was like "she'd have been caught soooooo long ago!"

My girlfriend was like "she'd have been caught soooooo long ago!"
    So was my ten year old son. I hate when shows get lazy like that. It was like the Boba Fett finale, where the good guys have to run away, so they run right down the middle of the street for several minutes while the enemy chases the and shoots at their feet. Like, just have them duck into the alley ways and have explosions around them as the robots tries to target them. It’s not THAT hard to make it not silly.

So was my ten year old son. I hate when shows get lazy like that. It was like the Boba Fett finale, where the good guys have to run away, so they run right down the middle of the street for several minutes while the enemy chases the and shoots at their feet. Like, just have them duck into the alley ways and have explosions around them as the robots tries to target them. It’s not THAT hard to make it not silly.
    One of my favorite cinematic "Run away!" scenes is in Prometheus, when the huge alien ship is rolling towards Charlize Theron.
    So her move was to keep running straight away from it, instead of perpendicular.

She totally deserved to get squished.

I wonder if some of the weirdness of some Star Wars chase sequences/action scenes lately could be related to over (or poorly) leveraging the StageCraft technology the same way some used to with 3D.

I may have woken up early and watched the new episode. I guess I will wait until anyone else is caught up with me...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I may have woken up early and watched the new episode. I guess I will wait until anyone else is caught up with me...
    Oh man, forgot it was a Wednesday release show! Have to avoid this thread!

I mean, it hits at 3am. I doubt many others are as geeky as me, watching before work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Ditto! Thanks for the reminder!

What? Assumed it was a Friday drop. I guess I know what I’m doing tonight.

*waits patiently to discuss*