Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I would have been kicking myself for not knowing this and not watching it yet, but I spent the morning finishing up Stranger Things so it was time we’ll spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    *waits patiently to discuss*
    Ok. I’m ready to discuss.

Without diving into spoilers from todays episode, it bothers me that Obi Wan is not very (what’s the word I’m looking for) tough? I know he’s been hiding for 10 years but he seems incredibly rusty. In his shootout from one of the first episodes, wouldn’t he be able to harness the force and not miss with every single shot?

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Without diving into spoilers from todays episode, it bothers me that Obi Wan is not very (what’s the word I’m looking for) tough? I know he’s been hiding for 10 years but he seems incredibly rusty. In his shootout from one of the first episodes, wouldn’t he be able to harness the force and not miss with every single shot?
    I got the impression that before catching Leia it had probably been a long time since he had used the Force. I think that is also why he can't communicate with Qui-Gon, he had been totally cut off from the Force and he is struggling or hesitant to fully connect with it. What we've been seeing is basically "regular guy Obi-Wan". Hence the emphasis on "Ben". Basically the guy has a big ol' case of the Jedi Yips. I wonder if he will get over them...

More seriously, it's like he has a PTSD related mental block on using the Force, he barely caught Leia and waking up to catch her seems to be what started to jar him out of it.

I mean, it hits at 3am. I doubt many others are as geeky as me, watching before work.
    I would have if I hadn't gotten thrown off by the Holiday and forgotten it was coming out last night!

I wish they had released all the episodes in pairs though!

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I too watched it this afternoon. Obi Wan does appear to be a little wimpy. I’m sure he’ll “force up” as the series progresses. Leia, on the other hand, is quite the young lady! Maybe she senses things!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I thought that Moses Ingram was solid again, it sucks that she’s getting racist hate tweets. In a lot of ways, she has been the most interesting character so far.

Kind of “meh” about this one compared to the first two. It’s hard for me to work up a bunch of intensity about Ben and Leia being in peril when, well, I know their status later in the Star Wars universe.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I thought that Moses Ingram was solid again, it sucks that she’s getting racist hate tweets. In a lot of ways, she has been the most interesting character so far.

Kind of “meh” about this one compared to the first two. It’s hard for me to work up a bunch of intensity about Ben and Leia being in peril when, well, I know their status later in the Star Wars universe.
    That hasn't really been a problem for me, I guess I kind of try to watch through Ben and Leia's eyes (which is made easy with their performances).

It did kind of undermine one part though which I will spoiler tag below to be safe since it still day of release.

Spoiler!

Anyways, I can't believe I have to wait another week to find out what happens next.

Okay I can't take it anymore.

SPOILERS

I LOVED IT.
    The clunky lightsaber battle from Obi Wan since he hasn't been using the force felt like it was perfectly halfway through the acrobatic fights of the prequel and the awkward battle in A New Hope. That was a nice detail for me.

Loved Vader straight dragging Obi Wan through hot coals as an appetizer to whatever else he had in mind for later abuse.

I mean, Anakin's character in the prequels was never convincing to me. I never bought into his internal struggles. I don't know if it's the writing, the acting, the dialogue, or just knowing that it all ends up with him being Vader. But watching Vader be a no holds barred *wanker alert* is intensely satisfying. Seeing Obi Wan poop his pants felt genuine.

I know other interesting things happened this episode, but the second half was just riveting.

Where do they go from here?

Okay I can't take it anymore.

SPOILERS

I LOVED IT.
    The clunky lightsaber battle from Obi Wan since he hasn't been using the force felt like it was perfectly halfway through the acrobatic fights of the prequel and the awkward battle in A New Hope. That was a nice detail for me.

Loved Vader straight dragging Obi Wan through hot coals as an appetizer to whatever else he had in mind for later abuse.

I mean, Anakin's character in the prequels was never convincing to me. I never bought into his internal struggles. I don't know if it's the writing, the acting, the dialogue, or just knowing that it all ends up with him being Vader. But watching Vader be a no holds barred *wanker alert* is intensely satisfying. Seeing Obi Wan poop his pants felt genuine.

I know other interesting things happened this episode, but the second half was just riveting.

Where do they go from here?

Ahh, I dunno. I agree about the lightsaber battle. But man, there was still SO much just... dumb stuff. Like... when Vader showed up on that planet, why would he not sense Obi Wan? Why wouldn't they reference that... you know, New Hope style? Then, why did he start killing random people? I mean, I think it was to drag Obi Wan out, but that should have been more clear... otherwise it just seems so random. And then there was SO much "Run-walk away, and THERES the bad guy again... then run-walk away some more... bad guy!" Like, come on now. And when that lady shot the things and set them on fire, and that big loader droid came to get Obi Wan out of there... why on earth would Vader just watch, and then turn away? Like... just smother the flames like you did TWO SECONDS BEFORE and go get them! Or send stormtroopers AROUND it. Or just walk THROUGH it... you are Darth Freaking Vader! And Obi Wan saying "Leia" by accident? Really? And using a human shield against Stormtroopers? And how did the Third Sister start BEHIND Leia, but then end up in front of her? And where did that lady who was helping them go? Wouldn't she run into the Third Sister?

There are just so many moments like this... moments where the writers wanted the characters together, but then wanted to get them apart, and just were SO lazy about it... that it is making it hard for me to enjoy the series. The writing just feels so... dumb. And I am sorry, it wouldn't be THAT hard to fix it.

And some of the acting is just not very good. The actress who plays the Third Sister is really tough for me to watch... as I saw someone else say, she looks like someone cosplaying an Inquisitor.

I DID like the Stormtrooper falling into the last barricade, tho. Wowza.

I'd give it a B, maybe, at best, so far.
    Last edited by Lord Ash; 06-01-2022 at 09:09 PM.

I think Vader has been sensing Obi-Wan since he opened his eyes in that bacta tank, so we saw that.

Obviously Ben sensing Vader was an important moment (with his visceral reaction). Finally, there was a moment when Obi-Wan was looking out the door that it seemed clear he reached out to Vader and Vader sensed it (this was right before he sent them away while he stayed to cover for them and I assumed he did it for that purpose).
    Last edited by Acymetric; 06-01-2022 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    And when that lady shot the things and set them on fire, and that big loader droid came to get Obi Wan out of there... why on earth would Vader just watch, and then turn away? Like... just smother the flames like you did TWO SECONDS BEFORE and go get them! Or send stormtroopers AROUND it. Or just walk THROUGH it... you are Darth Freaking Vader
    To balance things out I'll mention that this part bothered me too (I was thinking Vader should just rip the droid apart with the Force). I'm sure it will either be him being conflicted or him having some ultimate plan where allowing Kenobi to escape would allow him to do something (more torture, find Jedi, something like that).

This isn't a problem but simply a wish, I'll admit when Vader was Force choking that guy in the middle of the town I was kind of hoping he was going to reach over with his other hand and pull up some other poor guy to choke alongside him (I'm usually pretty LS aligned, it's but hard not to want more Vader being Vader).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It’s hard for me to work up a bunch of intensity about Ben and Leia being in peril when, well, I know their status later in the Star Wars universe.
    Same, except for me it's hard to work up a bunch of intensity about anything Vader related at all since I know in the end his whole storyline is going to be undone by the complex plot point "somehow Palpatine returns".

Otherwise, cool show though. Probably the best of the Disney+ shows (SW or Marvel).

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Otherwise, cool show though. Probably the best of the Disney+ shows (SW or Marvel).
    It feels like it was meant for the big screen. I would certainly buy tickets for a screening. I'm slightly more motivated to get a new TV than I was 2 weeks ago.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Unlike some of y'all, I'm not at all distracted by knowing these characters' ultimate fate. I'm watching it in the moment of "now", so I find it very engaging.

I liked this episode a lot. Zach Braff's mole man bus driver was a trip. (FYI, this now means that both Doctors Dorian and Turk from Scrubs have done Star Wars. Donald Faison voiced one of the characters in the awful "Resistance".)

I was VERY surprised to see Vader and Obi-Wan going at it this episode. I was thinking that was something we wouldn't get treated to until the latter half of the series, so at least one or two more outings.
    Vader is very much a total wanker. Snapped that kid's neck like a twig! I'm fairly certain that the Third Sister doesn't survive this show, but I'm up in the air about who does her in. Will it be Ob-Wan, the Fifth Brother, Vader...or maybe even the "dead" Grand Inquisitor exacting his revenge?

I get that Leia is in this show for a big reason, but she annoys the snot out of me. Of course, she was pretty annoying in a New Hope, too, so kudos to the young actress and the director for getting her holier than thou self down pretty well so early.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Ahh, I dunno. I agree about the lightsaber battle. But man, there was still SO much just... dumb stuff. Like... when Vader showed up on that planet, why would he not sense Obi Wan? Why wouldn't they reference that... you know, New Hope style? Then, why did he start killing random people? I mean, I think it was to drag Obi Wan out, but that should have been more clear... otherwise it just seems so random. And then there was SO much "Run-walk away, and THERES the bad guy again... then run-walk away some more... bad guy!" Like, come on now. And when that lady shot the things and set them on fire, and that big loader droid came to get Obi Wan out of there... why on earth would Vader just watch, and then turn away? Like... just smother the flames like you did TWO SECONDS BEFORE and go get them! Or send stormtroopers AROUND it. Or just walk THROUGH it... you are Darth Freaking Vader! And Obi Wan saying "Leia" by accident? Really? And using a human shield against Stormtroopers? And how did the Third Sister start BEHIND Leia, but then end up in front of her? And where did that lady who was helping them go? Wouldn't she run into the Third Sister?

There are just so many moments like this... moments where the writers wanted the characters together, but then wanted to get them apart, and just were SO lazy about it... that it is making it hard for me to enjoy the series. The writing just feels so... dumb. And I am sorry, it wouldn't be THAT hard to fix it.

And some of the acting is just not very good. The actress who plays the Third Sister is really tough for me to watch... as I saw someone else say, she looks like someone cosplaying an Inquisitor.

I DID like the Stormtrooper falling into the last barricade, tho. Wowza.

I'd give it a B, maybe, at best, so far.
    I’m mostly with this. I love Star Wars so overall like the show but 2 things bothered me: first, the illogical tunnels like you mention (the Third Sister somehow getting ahead of Leia, and the helper lady not seeing the Third Sister when she went back); and second, was the whole idea that Vader and Obi Wan would battle face to face. In ANH Vader says “the circle is now complete, when I left you I was but a learner, but now I am the master” to which Obi Wan says “only a master of evil, Darth” which is a sick burn but he doesn’t say “hey, aren’t you forgetting that time about 10 years ago when you force dragged me through some fire until that lady from Game of Thrones and a mute droid saved me?” I feel like those two meeting between the time Obi Wan chopped Anakin’s legs off and ANH feels like revisionist history and devalues the ANH scene IMO. (Don’t get me started on Obi Wan being best buds with R2 in Clone Wars and then acting like he had never seen him before in ANH - these are self inflicted wounds). /nerdrant

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Was watching again this morning, and I had forgotten about Kenobi finding the wall inscriptions, noting that "Quinlan was here?".
    That's Quinlan Vos, another Jedi from the Clone Wars show. (Was barely in it, but I think he's been in written books and comics as well.)
    I'm hoping he shows up. One of the things that I'm enjoying about this show is that we are seeing that more Jedi did indeed survive Order 66 than we knew about. Obviously not all are surviving this show, but still. (RIP poor Jedi guy hanging from the arch in episode 1.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I’m mostly with this. I love Star Wars so overall like the show but 2 things bothered me: first, the illogical tunnels like you mention (the Third Sister somehow getting ahead of Leia, and the helper lady not seeing the Third Sister when she went back); and second, was the whole idea that Vader and Obi Wan would battle face to face. In ANH Vader says “the circle is now complete, when I left you I was but a learner, but now I am the master” to which Obi Wan says “only a master of evil, Darth” which is a sick burn but he doesn’t say “hey, aren’t you forgetting that time about 10 years ago when you force dragged me through some fire until that lady from Game of Thrones and a mute droid saved me?” I feel like those two meeting between the time Obi Wan chopped Anakin’s legs off and ANH feels like revisionist history and devalues the ANH scene IMO. (Don’t get me started on Obi Wan being best buds with R2 in Clone Wars and then acting like he had never seen him before in ANH - these are self inflicted wounds). /nerdrant
    For the last part, I'm expecting that in their "final" final showdown of this series there will be a moment where Kenobi delivers a "You have much to learn" callback line (as he tricks Vader and makes his escape) in an effort to make that make sense again.

As for the tunnel, it wasn't just a straight line but a system/network of tunnels (that was part of why Tala wouldn't let Leia go by herself at first, it was possible for her to get lost). I would assume the sister came through a different entrance. I'm going to re-watch this evening so I'll try to pay attention to that scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    For the last part, I'm expecting that in their "final" final showdown of this series there will be a moment where Kenobi delivers a "You have much to learn" callback line (as he tricks Vader and makes his escape) in an effort to make that make sense again.

As for the tunnel, it wasn't just a straight line but a system/network of tunnels (that was part of why Tala wouldn't let Leia go by herself at first, it was possible for her to get lost). I would assume the sister came through a different entrance. I'm going to re-watch this evening so I'll try to pay attention to that scene.
    I figured The Sister saw the tunnel and was like "I bet that leads to the spaceport because they are trying to get off the planet" and pulled the old end around.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That combined with Obi Wan being down at street level 10 seconds after he saves Leia haven't been the most shining moments in film editing.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That combined with Obi Wan being down at street level 10 seconds after he saves Leia haven't been the most shining moments in film editing.
    There have been a few bad cuts so far for sure. The cut after Reva chopped off that woman's hand was another one. The audio of the woman screaming and the crowd reacting lasts about .25 seconds and drops out immediately when the camera cuts back as though they accidentally muted the audio when they cut the camera. I'm betting it was an oversight but even if it was intentional it wasn't good.