Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just finished.

Wow. Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Loving the Durham nods! In case you don't know or missed it, the opposing basketball team in Episode One are the Falcons, in red uniforms. Nod To Jordan High, the Duffers' alma mater. Although blue unis would have been better . . .
    And the home team is the Tigers (Chapel Hill). Not sure why they reversed them that way.
    In episode 4 Max talks about her father leaving them poor, and her and her mom moving to a crummy trailer park off Kerley. I used to live right around the corner of that trailer park. It is half-way between Durham and CH and a couple miles from Lochnora, the neighborhood referenced in Season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    And the home team is the Tigers (Chapel Hill). Not sure why they reversed them that way.
    In episode 4 Max talks about her father leaving them poor, and her and her mom moving to a crummy trailer park off Kerley. I used to live right around the corner of that trailer park. It is half-way between Durham and CH and a couple miles from Lochnora, the neighborhood referenced in Season 1.
    My sister-in-law taught Matt for two years at Duke School. Their class pet was Yertle the turtle, also Dustin's turtle in Season 2.

The roller skating rink in this season could be a nod to Wheels b/c I think that Skate Inn that was on the boulevard was closed by the time the Duffers would have been big enough to skate.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Episode 4 (which features the Max scene) is a really great hour of TV, for sure. There is so much going on!!

I really wish Netflix would have broken their model and parsed the show out over several dates. There is a collective conversation and unraveling of the stories/mysteries that could have been really fun for all of us to have together. Instead, we get like 10 hours of story dumped at one time (plus 4 more a few weeks later) and the shared "wow, did you see that!" moments get passed over as we whisk on to the next episode. I'm currently in the middle of ep 5 and have trouble talking about the show with friends who are all either ahead of or behind me in their viewing experience.

I'm glad I am getting fast resolution to questions and mysteries, but I think it would be more fun if I had more time to ponder it and let it sink in.

Netflix, which is really struggling lately with subscribers who bounce on and off the service, would have bene wise to spread something this expansive and important over 2 or 3 months.

Anyway, it is great fun and I am hoping the Duffer Brothers are soon given control of the DCEU or Star Wars or some other IP that can use their crackerjack storytelling abilities.
    You do realize that they aren't forcing you to binge watch, right? I mean, you could choose to watch one episode a week if you wanted to, no matter how many episodes they dropped all at once.

I get what he is saying. If we were at episode 4 right now, we’d all be raving. And trying to guess what the deal with Vecna is.

Now, if Jason tried to start a convo about where they are headed with Vecna, someone would answer “oh, he’s [fill in the blank]”.

For as much as it was hammered post finale, I remember the weekly musings trying to figure out what the heck was going on on Lost. Watching the show was only part of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I get what he is saying. If we were at episode 4 right now, we’d all be raving. And trying to guess what the deal with Vecna is.

Now, if Jason tried to start a convo about where they are headed with Vecna, someone would answer “oh, he’s [fill in the blank]”.

For as much as it was hammered post finale, I remember the weekly musings trying to figure out what the heck was going on on Lost. Watching the show was only part of the experience.
    That ruins it for me, to be honest. Discussions about what’s to happen in future episodes get pretty close to reality. WandaVision got ruined for me because of that. I’d much rather watch a show quickly and avoid any speculation from others. It’s my journey and I don’t want anyone else telling me where the trail leads.

I get Jason's point but I still like the batch releases; there is something special about the immersive experience of binge watching a show, especially one as well made as ST. Plus, for weekly release shows, you have the annoying issue going back and forth between shows. A lot of "now where was I" experiences.

But still it's a trade-off. For pure mysteries I think pendulum swings toward the slower release. For example, the recent murder mystery show with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant (can't remember the name) was the perfect show for a gradual release, allowing us to evaluate the evidence from each episode and speculate who the murderer was every week.

Sounds like people are enjoying this season?

I loved, loved, loved the first 2 seasons and was a little more lukewarm on the third. Recently started rewatching the series and will go to Season 4 after that. Getting excited.

That’s a good idea if you have time. I rewatched the first three seasons first. I don’t think it is necessary, but why not?

Plus, I can never get enough of the Neverending Story scene in the third season finale. When it cuts to the faces of everyone else - priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    That’s a good idea if you have time. I rewatched the first three seasons first. I don’t think it is necessary, but why not?

Plus, I can never get enough of the Neverending Story scene in the third season finale. When it cuts to the faces of everyone else - priceless.
    No the best part about that was Max and Lucas singing it at the end, making fun of Dustin.

As always, I do like the Durham references. Having worked at the Lemur Center my pet theory is that the lab is based on the Lemur Center. I believe the Duffer brothers grew up in that part of town. Many of the references are in that area. I can picture them as kids playing in the woods, coming upon electrified fences and hearing loud animal noises. Could be enough to inspire imaginative kids.

Aimo mentioned they went to the Duke School for Children which is a about a mile from the Lemur Center.
    Also they used the names of 2 onearby roads as being the location of Skull Rock. Can’t remember which ones though - maybe Pickett and Erwin? Think it was ep 5 - would have to go back and check.
    Last edited by Skydog; 06-09-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Aimo mentioned they went to the Duke School for Children which is a about a mile from the Lemur Center.
    Also they used the names of 2 onearby roads as being the location of Skull Rock. Can’t remember which ones though - maybe Pickett and Erwin? Think it was ep 5 - would have to go back and check.
    They mention Kerley and Cornwallis and Garrett. They grew up near the Kerley/Cornwallis intersection.

Also, when they attended Duke School, it was mostly on Hull Ave near Duke's Campus, I believe, so they lived closer to the Lemur Center than where they went to school. Correction: the middle school on Erwin was probably open when they attended.
    Last edited by aimo; 06-09-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    They mention Kerley and Cornwallis and Garrett. They grew up near the Kerley/Cornwallis intersection.

Also, when they attended Duke School, it was mostly on Hull Ave near Duke's Campus, I believe, so they lived closer to the Lemur Center than where they went to school. Correction: the middle school on Erwin was probably open when they attended.
    Aha. In the mid-90's I lived about a mile or two from where they grew up so the street names were very familiar.

There was a mention of Cole Mill Road at some point in season 4 too.
    We just finished volume I and I loved it…great reminder that it’s one of my handful of favorite shows ever.