Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Also, Iga Swiatek is really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Rooting hard for Coco Gauff to win the women's singles title. She's the future American hero on the tennis court.
    Iga-Coco should be a good finals to watch. Exciting young talent - Gauff just graduated high school and Swiatek just turned 21 during this tournament.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Hi, we’re NBC. We couldn’t possible cut into the end of the 4th hour of the Today Show, so we’ll just awkwardly jump right into the Coco Gauff semifinal 2-1 in the first set.

Meanwhile we hope to bring you the end of the Nadal semifinal tomorrow, but hey, gotta fill 4 hours of Today so we hope you’ll be happy settling for watching Cilic-Ruud instead. Well, half of it probably.

You’re welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Iga-Coco should be a good finals to watch. Exciting young talent - Gauff just graduated high school and Swiatek just turned 21 during this tournament.
    Swiatek is obviously the favorite, but I think Coco will give her a real challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Hi, we’re NBC. We couldn’t possible cut into the end of the 4th hour of the Today Show, so we’ll just awkwardly jump right into the Coco Gauff semifinal 2-1 in the first set.

Meanwhile we hope to bring you the end of the Nadal semifinal tomorrow, but hey, gotta fill 4 hours of Today so we hope you’ll be happy settling for watching Cilic-Ruud instead. Well, half of it probably.

You’re welcome!!
    Haha…and down here in my viewing area, they interrupted both the beginning of the match and the end to bring us a special news report that the Jacksonville sheriff was retiring. We missed the part of the first set as well as games 3-6 in the second set. They came back to the match for the last 3 points.

The coverage has been terrible. And I refuse on principle to pay for peacock premium, although that coverage seems to have been random and sporadic as well.

Tennis Channel is currently re-airing the Nadal / Djerk match.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Tennis Channel is currently re-airing the Nadal / Djerk match.
    Ah, if only my local provider carried the tennis channel! And I prefer your spelling of Novak’s last name to the one I have used (Djoker).
    NBC was nice enough to show the 4th set today after they finished CoCo’s match, and after a bunch of interviews, the post-match analysis, a weather report….

Well, after his 5-setter vs Auger-Aliassime and his 4-setter vs Djokovic, Nadal got a quick match in today. With Nadal up 1 set to none and in a second set tiebreak, Zverev had to retire. So Nadal catches a small break and gets some extra rest for the final vs Ruud or Cilic.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, after his 5-setter vs Auger-Aliassime and his 4-setter vs Djokovic, Nadal got a quick match in today. With Nadal up 1 set to none and in a second set tiebreak, Zverev had to retire. So Nadal catches a small break and gets some extra rest for the final vs Ruud or Cilic.
    Sort of. 2:57 and still in the 2nd set. Pretty grueling but at least not the marathon it was shaping up to be.

Probably not the way Nadal wanted to advance, but he'll take it.

Twisted his (Zverev's) ankle and on crutches, yikes. I saw an article that said "Nadal breaks back" and at first when I saw injury I was like "oh no!!" But no, just a service break to bring it to on serve. 10-8 in first set breaker. Tight...

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Ah, if only my local provider carried the tennis channel! And I prefer your spelling of Novak’s last name to the one I have used (Djoker).
    NBC was nice enough to show the 4th set today after they finished CoCo’s match, and after a bunch of interviews, the post-match analysis, a weather report….
    Ah, a weather report. I assume this is the case in many places but in the Triangle even a hint of bad weather leads to the local channels switching to full panic mode—"there's a bow echo on radar 100 miles away in the middle of nowhere and we're going to preempt regular programming for two hours before admitting that there was nothing really there after all. And, oh, yes, we get a bonus if we mention our super-duper Dual Doppler 5000 space decoder ring every five minutes.

Don't get wrong. Covering a real weather emergency is a necessary and important public service. But around here overkill is the name of the game. Err on the side of caution indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Ah, a weather report. I assume this is the case in many places but in the Triangle even a hint of bad weather leads to the local channels switching to full panic mode—"there's a bow echo on radar 100 miles away in the middle of nowhere and we're going to preempt regular programming for two hours before admitting that there was nothing really there after all. And, oh, yes, we get a bonus if we mention our super-duper Dual Doppler 5000 space decoder ring every five minutes.

Don't get wrong. Covering a real weather emergency is a necessary and important public service. But around here overkill is the name of the game. Err on the side of caution indeed.
    Yeah. If there are tornadoes then I want to know. Otherwise people can download The Weather Channel app. It's free.

https://youtu.be/on8O9fmR_8k

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I watched the match. Zverev was playing well, but making a lot of errors (especially on crucial points). Rafa also had some unbelievable gets. Still a very close match and IMO whoever won that second set tiebreak was going to win the match.

Hoping to see Rafa wrap his 14th title on Sunday.

What a shame about Zverev’s injury. He was playing really well and I am sure he is devastated.

Once again, NBC decided that the third hour of the Today show was far more important than the first set of Nadal/Zverev match. Maybe they will show that set later, but i guess not today. While waiting for Rudd/Cilic, they instead showed a replay of Coco’s semifinal. I enjoy watching Coco, but 1) they showed that match yesterday (or, in my area, they showed part they didn’t interrupt for weather reports and news about the local sheriff resigning) and 2) it was a blow out. I would really like to see that first set and the tiebreak!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

And if it cuts into Jeopardy! ALL hell breaks loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    What a shame about Zverev’s injury. He was playing really well and I am sure he is devastated.

Once again, NBC decided that the third hour of the Today show was far more important than the first set of Nadal/Zverev match. Maybe they will show that set later, but i guess not today. While waiting for Rudd/Cilic, they instead showed a replay of Coco’s semifinal. I enjoy watching Coco, but 1) they showed that match yesterday (or, in my area, they showed part they didn’t interrupt for weather reports and news about the local sheriff resigning) and 2) it was a blow out. I would really like to see that first set and the tiebreak!
    U.S. bias...

But yes, the coverage has been pathetic. Tennis can't get more fans like this.

I feel like it wasn't always like this. I recall ESPN covering a lot in past years with the networks picking up the finals or something along those lines. Or USA Network. Those were reasonable models for viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    U.S. bias...

But yes, the coverage has been pathetic. Tennis can't get more fans like this.

I feel like it wasn't always like this. I recall ESPN covering a lot in past years with the networks picking up the finals or something along those lines. Or USA Network. Those were reasonable models for viewing.
    USA used to do incredible coverage of the US Open. It was clearly their top priority for the whole two weeks, though I think CBS would do the finals and a few other slots. ESPN does well but tennis is not their top priority - I feel like they treat tennis as something to pass the time when there is no baseball or football.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    USA used to do incredible coverage of the US Open.
    USA is an NBC property, so I'm surprised they still don't do it this way. I do wonder how the contract is worded. Maybe it doesn't allow coverage on a subsidiary network, but also gives NBC discretion on how much to air? I'd guess the French Tennis Federation is not happy how this is working out. But from what I can find online, the rights agreement extends through 2024, so we'll have to live with whatever the contract allows until then.

Swiatek is obviously the favorite, but I think Coco will give her a real challenge.
    Well...not really. She's a machine right now.

Well...not really. She's a machine right now.
    Loved Swiatek's speech. Good for her.