Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Top Gun: Maverick

Yup, I am giving this one its own thread. It deserves it.

If folks have questions or anything, feel free to ask. I can't wait until some of you get to see it this weekend and we can chat. Don't worry, if there is anything spoilerish, I will keep it hidden behind spoiler text until the movie has been in theaters for a few days.

Anyway, here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...s-top-gun.html

Thrilling, emotional, unexpected, and cinematic, Maverick is up there with the great action sequels of all-time.

-Jason "my wife, who is not usually a big action fan, said it was one of her favorite movies of the past several years" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Navy pilots flying a dangerous mission. Does it hold its own against The Bridges at Toko-Ri? The screen adaptation of James Michener’s excellent novel starring William Holden, Grace Kelly, Frederic March and Mickey Rooney sets the standard for this storyline.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Navy pilots flying a dangerous mission. Does it hold its own against The Bridges at Toko-Ri? The screen adaptation of James Michener’s excellent novel starring William Holden, Grace Kelly, Frederic March and Mickey Rooney sets the standard for this storyline.
    1954 film... I have never seen it. Sorry. I think it is a safe bet the flying effects are considerably better in this film.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    1954 film... I have never seen it. Sorry. I think it is a safe bet the flying effects are considerably better in this film.
    I highly recommend it and believe you would enjoy it but read the book first. I am one of those irritating “the book is always better” people.

I’m sure the flying effects don’t compare but Michener’s storyline is awesome.
    Bob Green

This may be the movie that finally gets me back to the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Agree. I'm not a huge movie guy but I think this is one that would be a lot better in a theater. I live a block from a theater that is showing it. $15.50 for a matinee, $22.50 for evening. My goodness.

I feel the need. The need for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Kind of a special movie for me since my dad was flying missions off the Essex during this period - which is one of the two carriers from which Michener made his observations.

Me too!! I got tickets this afternoon.

I hope my son gets to go this week. He's been extremely patient. This may be a back to back showings kind of night.
    Then he needs to take the old mom.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Tom Cruise is an awful person and you shouldn’t give him your money.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I can't argue with you. i don't particularly care for him neither, but it's Top Gun!

Yeah, I cannot dispute this in any way... but I will say that he at least works hard for the money. There may be no superstar actor in history who has taken more risks and done more hard work to make their films look at good as possible. Tom Cruise basically asks "will this stunt kill me?" and if the stunt coordinator says, "probably not" then he does it and he demands that the camera be placed in a way that makes it look as real as possible.

I admire the guy for his dedication. He could have been phoning it in for a long time but chooses not to. That's something worthwhile in that.

But his personal life and beliefs are pretty horrible, I agree about that.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, I cannot dispute this in any way... but I will say that he at least works hard for the money. There may be no superstar actor in history who has taken more risks and done more hard work to make their films look at good as possible. Tom Cruise basically asks "will this stunt kill me?" and if the stunt coordinator says, "probably not" then he does it and he demands that the camera be placed in a way that makes it look as real as possible.

I admire the guy for his dedication. He could have been phoning it in for a long time but chooses not to. That's something worthwhile in that.

But his personal life and beliefs are pretty horrible, I agree about that.
    He may take physical risks in doing his own stunts, but, as an actor, he’s basically played the same character in about 90% of his movies.

Whereas, Nicholas Cage carries The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent and deserves your ticket dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    He may take physical risks in doing his own stunts, but, as an actor, he’s basically played the same character in about 90% of his movies.
    If this conversation goes in any direction that slanders Cocktail, you and I cannot be friends.

If this conversation goes in any direction that slanders Cocktail, you and I cannot be friends.
    I can be friends with anyone named Duke79UNLV77. Unshakable.

I was in the newspaper business for a number of years and One of our reviewers began his review of Days of Thunder with “Instead of jets there are cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I can be friends with anyone named Duke79UNLV77. Unshakable.
    We all have our lines in the sand. Badmouthing Cocktail just happens to be mine.

I have never given Cruise money. I give the theater money. What they do with the money after that is up to then.

That is true more recently but his filmography of non-action movies is actually really impressive.

Risky Business
    Cocktail (OK, it's not a great movie, but I agree with Bundaberg that it has a special place in my heart)
    Rain Man
    Born on the Fourth of July
    A Few Good Men
    The Firm (also not a great movie, but a personal favorite as I loved the book)
    Jerry McGuire

In the mid-90s I was in a restaurant in London with him when he was there to release Mission Impossible. We walked in and there was a ton of paparazzi outside. I knew it was not for me. I was sitting near one of the actresses from Cagney & Lacey but figured it was not for her. Then I saw Tom Cruise across the room and figured it out...

I'm also not a big fan of him as a human being, but I can separate the two. But I completely respect the opinion of those who feel otherwise.