Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Zverev suffered "several torn lateral ligaments in his right foot" apparently. doesn't sound good. Going back to Germany for most tests.

Sports Illustrated: Alexander Zverev Updates Status After French Open Semifinal Injury.
    https://www.si.com/tennis/2022/06/04...-injury-status

Was hoping to watch Coco’s doubles match this morning. An American team in the women’s double final…. Thanks for nothing, NBC!

Nadal up two sets to love on Ruud. He hasn't looked great on serve (broken once in each set), but once the rally gets going he is his usual indominable self. Ruud is sort of a not-so-poor man's Nadal, but so far he's just been a step behind the master.

At some point in the not-too-distant future it's easy to see Ruud and Alcaraz battling each other for French titles.

The degree of spin these two are putting on the ball today is absurd.

Vintage Nadal finish. 6-0 in the 3rd set. Once he breaks your spirit, he is like a shark in the water.

Don't know how many matches his body has left in him, but it's amazing to watch while it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Vintage Nadal finish. 6-0 in the 3rd set. Once he breaks your spirit, he is like a shark in the water.

Don't know how many matches his body has left in him, but it's amazing to watch while it happens.
    When he finally retires he should build a house made of clay.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I wonder if he is tight with Gumby.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yeah, no player has owned a surface the way he has owned clay. In fairness to him, he's worked really hard to become a complete player. His major count not on clay (8) would be top-10 all time by itself. But man does he own clay. His feel for that surface is just soooooooo far superior to anyone else.

The only weakness for him (aside from his body breaking down on him as it has over the years) is that he has never developed a big serve. Which is why he's not been quite as successful (relatively speaking) on grass or hard courts. On the clay, though, he has more than enough weaponry to go along with his indominable will on every point.

What a classy guy Rudd is. He is a great sport, very articulate and sincere. A lot like his idol, Nadal.

It is so evident that this was a very emotional win for Nadal. He dealt with so much adversity coming in, with the broken rib and the foot injury, and very little practice, and he also had by far the toughest draw. I think this could be his last French Open, which will be sad for me.

Nadal said that he was getting injections to numb his foot during the French Open, and that he would not continue to do that. He said the only way he would play in Wimbledon is if he can manage the pain with anti-inflammatories. I hope he can, but I am skeptical (one would think that he was using anti-inflammatories in Rome and other tournaments when he was derailed by his foot pain.)

IANAD, but I have a chronic foot injury which, along with other chronic issues, ended my tennis playing days. My condition is not the same as Nadals’s…it is not nearly as serious, and obviously the demands on his foot are 000’s greater than any I ever put on my foot. But when my foot pain ramps up, it is really difficult to walk, let alone sprint with hard stops, slides and turns. I cannot imagine him putting the kind of stress on his foot that he does with a serious, degenerative condition managed by anti-inflammatories. I hope he can continue, but I am guessing we might not see him in many more tournaments.