NBA Owners Have $10 Billion Exposure to China

This is an interesting piece from ESPN.com that dives a bit deeper into the NBA/China relationship and the exposure that individual team owners have to the country.

I posted this here because it involves the NBA. However, as the topics/issues discussed center on human rights, if the mods feel this belongs on the Off-Topic board, I understand.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...invested-there

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    This is an interesting piece from ESPN.com that dives a bit deeper into the NBA/China relationship and the exposure that individual team owners have to the country.

I posted this here because it involves the NBA. However, as the topics/issues discussed center on human rights, if the mods feel this belongs on the Off-Topic board, I understand.

Additionally, if I’m not mistaken, LeBron James has huge financial deals with Chinese businesses. So of course Mr. Social Awareness and self-proclaimed champion of human rights jumps to defend China when they were in that snafu with the NBA and Daryl Morey.

For many (most?) people, not just James, money seems to win out over ideals when push comes to shove.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Additionally, if I’m not mistaken, LeBron James has huge financial deals with Chinese businesses. So of course Mr. Social Awareness and self-proclaimed champion of human rights jumps to defend China when they were in that snafu with the NBA and Daryl Morey.

For many (most?) people, not just James, money seems to win out over ideals when push comes to shove.
    Maybe it's the difference between the injustice that's in your community and in your daily life as opposed to those issues that are thousands of miles away and difficult to get verified information?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Maybe it's the difference between the injustice that's in your community and in your daily life as opposed to those issues that are thousands of miles away and difficult to get verified information?
    That’s a valid point; definitely worth contemplating.

That’s a valid point; definitely worth contemplating.
    Regardless, I suspect any discussion of said topics would be roundly out of bounds for this board.

I'm sure you could spark some lively discussion on Reddit...

maybe that would be the case if Lebron didn't respond to morey/china with the following:

""I don’t want to get in a word or sentence feud with Daryl Morey. But I believe he wasn’t educated on the situation at hand and he spoke," James said before the Lakers’ preseason game against the Golden State Warriors on Monday at Staples Center. "So many people could have been harmed, not only physically or financially, but emotionally and spiritually. Just be careful what we tweet, what we say and what we do. We do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative things that come with that too."

and this:

""I believe he was misinformed or not really educated on the situation," James said of Morey. "If he was, so be it. I have no idea, but that’s my belief. When you say things or do things, you’re doing it and know the things that can be affected by it and the families and individuals that can be affected by it. Sometimes it can be changed as well. Sometimes social media is not a proper way to go about things as well. That’s just my belief."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rk/3982048002/

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    maybe that would be the case if Lebron didn't respond to morey/china with the following:

""I don’t want to get in a word or sentence feud with Daryl Morey. But I believe he wasn’t educated on the situation at hand and he spoke," James said before the Lakers’ preseason game against the Golden State Warriors on Monday at Staples Center. "So many people could have been harmed, not only physically or financially, but emotionally and spiritually. Just be careful what we tweet, what we say and what we do. We do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative things that come with that too."

and this:

""I believe he was misinformed or not really educated on the situation," James said of Morey. "If he was, so be it. I have no idea, but that’s my belief. When you say things or do things, you’re doing it and know the things that can be affected by it and the families and individuals that can be affected by it. Sometimes it can be changed as well. Sometimes social media is not a proper way to go about things as well. That’s just my belief."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rk/3982048002/
    As I said, I'm not taking any sides here, and I suspect any discussion would be inappropriate for this forum.

Enjoy your day! Go Duke!

I'm sure you could spark some lively discussion on Reddit...
    Out of curiosity, what is Reddit?

I'll let you discover for yourself. I don't want to bear that burden on my soul.

I'll let you discover for yourself. I don't want to bear that burden on my soul.
    I’m afraid to find out now! 😮

Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Seriously?
    Yes, seriously; why would you think I’m not being serious? Does everyone (but me) know what Redding is or something?

Sure, I’ve seen it many times, but I just ignore it and keep going. Don’t you have to actually access it and look into it to know what it is and how to use it?

O boy you’re missing out. No holds barred message boards for just about any topic on the planet tbh. I love it but it can have its toxic brain melting areas

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post

Reminds me of what’s going on with golf and the Saudis. Money v morals gets tougher for most people when 0s start getting added to a paycheck. Morals are easy when you lose nothing

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Reminds me of what’s going on with golf and the Saudis. Money v morals gets tougher for most people when 0s start getting added to a paycheck. Morals are easy when you lose nothing
    Exactly, why is China even allowing a country that has extensive hate crimes and gun violence to profit off of their citizens. I suspect it's because a few politicians and business owners gets to line their pockets.

Ummm, yeah. This is going the wrong way fast so it's looking it's time to shut her down.