Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grant Hill - GAME book tour

I just signed up for this conversation on Grant's autobiography. Should be some interesting stories.

https://tickets.duke.edu/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle:ermalink=granthill&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle ::context_id=

Just attended Grant’s start of his book tour. Very entertaining. Scheyer did a great job as the host and Grant was his funny, engaging self. Lots of entertaining stories about his time at Duke- some I had not heard before- like Tong Lang’s dad brining a VCR to record movies from hotel rooms to play back later and Grant and Tony singing karaoke before the UNLV game and recording it -only to be played by Tony’s dad in the hotel room in front of all the parents who became instantly worried about a loss because their kids were out having fun the night before the biggest game of their lives. I think his book will be a fun read for Duke fans.

That was very entertaining. It was nice to hear Grant met Art Heyman when he was at Duke. Art told the team when a UVA game was coming up, that he had scored 30 against them. That was brought up regarding upper classmen mentoring the freshmen. Packed Page Auditorium,nice remodeling done at that venue. When I was an undergraduate Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne played there . Most insane moment was the Hunter S. Thompson major speakers that was stopped because of Thompson's drunken behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    That was very entertaining. It was nice to hear Grant met Art Heyman when he was at Duke. Art told the team when a UVA game was coming up, that he had scored 30 against them. That was brought up regarding upper classmen mentoring the freshmen. Packed Page Auditorium,nice remodeling done at that venue. When I was an undergraduate Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne played there . Most insane moment was the Hunter S. Thompson major speakers that was stopped because of Thompson's drunken behavior.
    If you haven’t seen Baldwin in a while- you should visit- now a great venue for playing and listening to music.

Coverage of Grant’s talk

https://today.duke.edu/2022/06/grant-hill-had-game-he-used-it-build-connections-across-duke-and-other-communities

He’s supposed to be on Dan Le Batard today. That’s always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Ha, the Hunter appearance was weird and brief.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    He’s supposed to be on Dan Le Batard today. That’s always fun.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.
    I just finished the book- I listened to it with Grant telling his own story. I knew a lot of it- but much was new. He dropped a lot of names- his life intersected with Presidents and First Ladies, Hip Hop stars and business moguls. He noted that Laettner - characterized as the preppy white kid- was more comfortable in the black community and was extremely knowledgeable of Rap and Hip Hop back in the day. He talked a bit about how he was frustrated with the Duke doctors for not properly diagnosing a toe injury which affected his junior season- leading him to tell his Dad that he was going to transfer to UNC and going around town wearing a UNC hat! He talked about his early endorsement years and the issues with negotiating with Nike. I did not remember that he played with Laettner in Detroit and also had Stackhouse and Montross as teammates. He spent a couple of chapters on his ankle injury that almost cost him his life and a potential amputation of his lower leg. I learned that after a couple of years of enduring repeat surgeries with non-Duke doctors- one that told him he needed to retire at 30, the Duke doctors figured out that his injury was due to a biomechanical defect in which one leg was bowed more than the other leading to abnormal stress on the ankle joint and foot. It goes to show that not all bodies are designed to jump and land repeatedly on feet and ankles as Zion Williamson is learning all too well. Sadly the needed repair was hampered by all the previous surgeries that led to an incomplete closure of the incision - causing a life-threatenting infection- that ultimately required a tricky graft to help restore blood flow that was all or nothing. Most surprising was the strong bond and friendship he formed with former Duke player Chip Engelland who helped Grant develop his shooting form that allowed him to continue to play in Phoenix and LA after his multiple ankle surgeries and near death experience. If you are a Duke and Grant fan- you will enjoy the book.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I just finished the book- I listened to it with Grant telling his own story. I knew a lot of it- but much was new. He dropped a lot of names- his life intersected with Presidents and First Ladies, Hip Hop stars and business moguls. He noted that Laettner - characterized as the preppy white kid- was more comfortable in the black community and was extremely knowledgeable of Rap and Hip Hop back in the day. He talked a bit about how he was frustrated with the Duke doctors for not properly diagnosing a toe injury which affected his junior season- leading him to tell his Dad that he was going to transfer to UNC and going around town wearing a UNC hat! He talked about his early endorsement years and the issues with negotiating with Nike. I did not remember that he played with Laettner in Detroit and also had Stackhouse and Montross as teammates. He spent a couple of chapters on his ankle injury that almost cost him his life and a potential amputation of his lower leg. I learned that after a couple of years of enduring repeat surgeries with non-Duke doctors- one that told him he needed to retire at 30, the Duke doctors figured out that his injury was due to a biomechanical defect in which one leg was bowed more than the other leading to abnormal stress on the ankle joint and foot. It goes to show that not all bodies are designed to jump and land repeatedly on feet and ankles as Zion Williamson is learning all too well. Sadly the needed repair was hampered by all the previous surgeries that led to an incomplete closure of the incision - causing a life-threatenting infection- that ultimately required a tricky graft to help restore blood flow that was all or nothing. Most surprising was the strong bond and friendship he formed with former Duke player Chip Engelland who helped Grant develop his shooting form that allowed him to continue to play in Phoenix and LA after his multiple ankle surgeries and near death experience. If you are a Duke and Grant fan- you will enjoy the book.
    Wow! So much I didn't know.
    Thank you for the quick rundown.

Sporkz for this watch. A few nuggets from the interview. Grant tells JJ, you know it wasn't X's and O's with Coach. It was getting players ready and to believe in themselves. Then they discussed body language and how that was a big thing with Coach. JJ names a player that wasn't into it on the bench, funny. Player 9-12 are very important. Grant gives some information on Christian that I didn't know. It's a good watch.

GoDuke!

Just ordered the book for Pops on Father's Day.

His all time faves are Grant and Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Sporkz for this watch. A few nuggets from the interview. Grant tells JJ, you know it wasn't X's and O's with Coach. It was getting players ready and to believe in themselves. Then they discussed body language and how that was a big thing with Coach. JJ names a player that wasn't into it on the bench, funny. Player 9-12 are very important. Grant gives some information on Christian that I didn't know. It's a good watch.

GoDuke!
    In the book- Grant talks about K laying into senior Laettner after a bad game and Christian taking it because he knew it would motivate the others. Grant had the same treatment his senior year but knew what it meant. The young players today don’t have that continuity of great players and when K criticized they may not have understood the meaning. I suspect K recognized his old approach was not going to work but old habits are hard to break. His public comment right after the loss at Duke against UNC was probably a tame version of what was said later. To their credit- the guys responded.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post

GoDuke!
    Hah. Lee think twice before hydrating from then on!

Just finished reading the book and I certainly enjoyed it. During Grant's high school years I got to see many of his home games. His soph. and jr. years he played point while his sr. year he played center. It was obvious very early on that Grant was unselfish, an exceptional ball handler for his height and an exceptional passer. His days at Duke (approximately 1/3 of his narrative) are the best part of the book. Grant's description of his first year at Duke is riveting. Also he spends a lot of time discussing Coach K's ways of motivating his team. Coach K's strategies are in such detail it is as if Grant kept a diary. After graduation, Grant went on a barnstorming tour with other NC seniors around the state against teams like Athletes in Action. This was all going on only a few weeks before he signed a 45 million contract with the Pistons. During his pro career I particularly enjoyed his narrative about the '96 Olympic team and the All Star games. His reasoning for going to Orlando, Phoenix and finally to the Clippers are very interesting. The book version has a lot of intimate pictures including the obligatory picture of his Mom with a young Hillary. All in all Game is a terrific read if you are a Duke basketball fan

The only way [The Dream Team] could stop Bobby was putting Jordan on him.”

That’s a heck of a quote.

In the video, Grant details playing on the ‘92 select team and explains that neither Stockton nor Magic could contain Duke rising Senior Bobby Hurley.

Nice reminder of Bobby’s greatness.

Grant and JJ share a moment where they ponder the great Duke-in-the-NBA what ifs. There is a world where Hurley, J Williams and Grant become Duke’s 3 best pros ever, at least before the OAD era. Sigh…

Just started the book and I am enjoying it immensely...a few cuts above the average sports autobiography.

Regarding the Hoyas of whom Grant was a huge fan: there is one anecdote missing in the book which I am quite certain I recall Grant mentioning in the past...a fairly important one. Anyone else know what I'm referring to? It would be a bit embarrassing to the Hoyas which is quite possibly why he left it out of the book.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Just started the book and I am enjoying it immensely...a few cuts above the average sports autobiography.

Regarding the Hoyas of whom Grant was a huge fan: there is one anecdote missing in the book which I am quite certain I recall Grant mentioning in the past...a fairly important one. Anyone else know what I'm referring to? It would be a bit embarrassing to the Hoyas which is quite possibly why he left it out of the book.
    I think I know. Had something to with the way the Hoyas evaluated his academic readiness, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Mary Fenlon, Duke Nation thanks you for your condescension.