Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I’ve been reading the discussion of the upcoming draft and the transfer thread, and realized what changed: Griffin has received feedback that is not what he expected, and he decided that he is better off returning to Duke to work on his game and secure a spot in the lottery next year. AJ texted Joey right after informing Jon, and Joey decided to move on.
    Don’t get my hopes up like that. Is Trevor coming back, too?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    It’s a little odd that some of us are assigning blame to Duke when Baker is the one who announced a transfer in mid-May; there’s a reason there are deadlines, and he limped past it, which may be completely fine with Duke but could conceivably leave the team a bit short handed. He might’ve hoped Trevor would go pro and that Scheyer would entrust him with 30 mins/game as the 2G starter, but that seems like wishful thinking.

Baker’s been around the program for 4 years, and he knows exactly how Duke approaches recruiting and roster development: ruthlessly. No way is Scheyer pinning the success of his 1st team on a guy who’s never played a lot of minutes and is now on crutches.

My hunch is that no one is at fault. Scheyer is probably confident that he can get Green AND someone else who will be part of the core backcourt/wing rotation. That might be Keels, might be someone else.

Scheyer and Lucas were, separately, touted as the 2 best recruiters in the country. They can document that anyone in Duke’s rotation will get plenty of prime time action, lots of great coaching, oodles of Brotherhood, solid NIL, and be carefully evaluated by NBA scouts. I’ll be surprised if we aren’t surprised to the upside within a month.

That would leave a battle for time in the rotation among a few very talented guys who just aren’t (yet) exceptional, at least compared to the NBA talent in the starting 5 or 6.

Scheyer may have explained this to Baker, and that led to a mutually satisfactory parting of the ways. It’s bittersweet, of course, since the fairytale ending would be different, but it’s probably acceptable to everyone concerned.

Oh, and I’ve never been especially sentimental about senior night. He got to be captain for a final 4 Duke team and got a Duke degree. That’s not a bad 4 years!
    I completely agree with this. Don't really understand why so many here are so freaked out.

Oh, and Joey got to be on the cover of SI, too (with an assist from Zion).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Or it could simply be that Baker didn't put it all together until it got crystallized today. Yes, we've recruited other guys. But none of those guys have shown up on campus. So maybe Baker felt he would hold out hope for a starting spot until it became clear that was no longer an option.

Is it possible that there was a miscommunication? Sure. But that seems unlikely to me. My guess is the communication was something along the line of "there will be minutes available for someone to take, but you will be competing with Schutt and possibly one of Keels or a transfer for one of those spots." Which is honest, and maybe Baker was hopeful that "possibly" would turn into "but didn't wind up happening."

It's only a "miscarriage of justice" if it was a decision made by Coach K at the expense of Baker's wishes. I can't imagine that Baker wasn't offered the opportunity to have his senior night too. But I suspect that what happened was he thought he was going to return, and thus turned down the opportunity to have his senior night this year. And then only more recently did he change his mind to look elsewhere. I can't imagine that Coach K would ever put himself before the players. So the logical explanation is that the opportunity was offered and Baker declined.
    This seems most logical.

Sounds to me like a smart young person decided to take his Duke degree and make his way in the world. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sounds to me like a smart young person decided to take his Duke degree and make his way in the world. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?
    Duke won't win championshipa without some good four, er, I mean FIVE year players.

It's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Sorry if someone else mentioned this and I missed it, but isn't it at least possible that he got some kind of NIL offer from another school some business? It isn't necessarily what I think is most likely, but I was mildly surprised not to have seen it yet.
    I think you're on to something. With a name like Joey Baker, some Ninth Street Bakery money would be nice, but it just doesn't compare to Mrs. Fields money.

Debbi Fields opened her first store in Palo Alto, California in 1977 and the Mrs. Fields® name quickly became associated with warm, freshly baked cookies right out of the oven.
    Mrs. Fields® is based in Salt Lake City, Utah and operates a robust production and distribution facility located in Salt Lake City, Utah.
    So, if he ends up at Stanford or Utah, we'll know why.

I’m not going to speculate because I have no idea what is behind the decision, but I wish a fellow Duke graduate all the best. I just wish that things had turned out differently.

It's all interesting bc Joey's role was going to be the same.
    1- If Keels returned, he would start. Joey would come off the bench as a shooter on the wing.
    2- If Keels didn't return and AJ Green committed. Same as if Keels was there.

Unless Duke took both Keels and Green then Joey wouldn't really have any minutes

Quote Originally Posted by KKDL19 View Post
    It's all interesting bc Joey's role was going to be the same.
    1- If Keels returned, he would start. Joey would come off the bench as a shooter on the wing.
    2- If Keels didn't return and AJ Green committed. Same as if Keels was there.

Unless Duke took both Keels and Green then Joey wouldn't really have any minutes
    Not taking both. Green would go elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes, I agree--if all coaches have to use against Duke in negative recruiting is that Joey Baker didn't have a senior night, I am not too concerned. They are grasping at straws.
    Yeah, top recruits are pretty confident these days and don't WANT a senior night (i.e. NBA before that point). Not going to impact recruiting. Having said that, I am bummed he didn't have one given it's fairly unusual at Duke these days for rotation players.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Not taking both. Green would go elsewhere
    Yup. Mutual exclusive.

I want Keels back, but Green is a great alternative.

In my mind, Baker starting at the 2 (or 3 and Whiteside slides to the 2) was never an option.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Whaaaaaaat?

This is so, so odd. Any explanation I can think of is so speculative and down the rabbit hole that I can't justify posting it here.

All I'll say is this: Joey Baker deserved a Senior Day at Duke. The school went out of its way to officially announce Joey was returning for his super-senior year. Something weird has to have happened over the past few days/weeks for this to make any sense.
    Purely speculative, but I’m wondering if his recovery from surgery had a setback. He was probably vacillating after the initial decision. You constantly are fighting for PT and he has lived that benchwarmer role for so long that he just needed to be a little more self interested. He has done so much for Duke Hoop without gaining PT that it just became too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    People have been talking about and linking potential wing transfers to Duke since well before last season ended and long, long before Keels even declared for the draft. It's ludicrous to think that Joey Baker thought until AJ Green showed up today that he'd have a free ride to playing time next year. If that's really what happened, that's all on Joey for being oblivious.
    Duke PURSUING a transfer isn't the same as GETTING a transfer. I've been open about my OPINION that a high quality, starter level transfer, might not be interested in Duke.

Take the SG position this year. First, there is the uncertainty about Trevor Keels, the presumed starter should he return. Given Whitehead and Keels, that would be about 60ish minutes out of 80 available across the two positions. Mitchell would play some 3, and Blakes and Schutt would be tough comp. That said, Keels is probably, or at least strongly leaning towards, leaving.

Should Keels leave. Duke has Schutt, Whitehead (natural NBA position is SG, and he could probably play that at college) and Blakes available for minutes.

If Mitchell can excel at the three, DW can play the SG, so minutes are not available if that proves tenable. But it might not.

There is a lot of POSSIBLE comp for minutes at the 2. Even if a kid could start, he'd likely be pressed for minutes by several different guys.

Even if a transfer does start, such a player might go from the clear number 1 option on his old team, or a number 2 at a different P5 school, to the 3rd or 4th option at Duke. Or 5th.

That is in addition to entering a school with a high end academic profile as an upperclassmen, meaning that only hard classes are left to be taken (and the real chance that some of the more difficult classes at your old school might not be accepted as transfer credits).

All of the above are possible permutations of Duke's starting lineup. That uncertainty, again IN MY OPINION, made/makes it unlikely that Duke would get a high level starter. Given that, it is easy to see how Joey could see a possible starting position (at SF with DW at the SG), or a key role off the bench.

Unlikely isn't impossible, of course. A transfer might be willing to bet on himself even given the uncertainty at Duke. If that were to happen, Joey might find himself on the outside of the rotation.

Even without Keels returning, without a transfer in, there is a decent chance that Joey doesn't see big minutes next year. Mitchell at the Sf and DW at SG isn't outlandish. Schutt and Blakes might get solid backup minutes next year. Heck, I wouldn't be shocked to see small stretches of Lively, Mitchell, Roach, Schutt and Blakes. Again, not a regular or often seen lineup, but that would be a legit lineup to see.

If a coach was choosing between a 5th year senior, and 1 or 2 underclassmen guards......Well, unless the 5th year guy offers a significant upgrade over each of the other two options, I'd understand why a coach might go with the younger guys. They might improve enough to really help in the future. How much future value does the 5th year guy have?

Obviously, if the 5th year is clearly better, he'd play. But Joey is a bad defender. He was supposed to offset bad defense with great 3pt shooting. But that shooting never materialized.

I could see how Joey would look around after the dust had cleared and really decided that Duke's roster situation was going to be difficult to crack in a meaningful way, even without another addition.

Quote Originally Posted by HayYou View Post
    [Joey Baker] was supposed to offset bad defense with great 3pt shooting. But that shooting never materialized.
    In 2021-22, Joey Baker shot 40.5% from three, on 7.3 three-attempts per 40 minutes. For his career, Joey shot 37.9% from three, on 7.7 three-attempts per 40 minutes. Exactly what didn't materialize?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    In 2021-22, Joey Baker shot 40.5% from three, on 7.3 three-attempts per 40 minutes. For his career, Joey shot 37.9% from three, on 7.7 three-attempts per 40 minutes. Exactly what didn't materialize?
    Still not as good as MP3.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Or MP1, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yeah, and that is why MP3 is known as Mr. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Or MP1, for that matter.
    And that is why MP1 is also known as Mr. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    And that is why MP1 is also known as Mr. Perfect.
    That must get confusing at family dinners.

I’m just sad Joey didn’t break through and become a big contributor. This is a kid that loves Duke and always had potential. I wanted that fairytale ending for him.