Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    He may take physical risks in doing his own stunts, but, as an actor, he’s basically played the same character in about 90% of his movies.
    Whew! Couldn't disagree more.

Tom Cruise has far more range than many more celebrated "actors" (see: Denzel Washington). Cruise's incredible good looks and his ability to man a blockbuster distract from his acting skills, but look at his filmography: Jerry Maguire, Magnolia, The Color of Money, Born On The Forth of July, A Few Good Men, Rain Man, Mission Impossible. There are few actors that could handle that set of roles.

He is a movie star, maybe the biggest movie star ever when you factor in longevity, but he is also an excellent actor. I don't think he could work with Kubrik, Scorsese, Coppola, Cameron Crowe, and Paul Thomas Anderson if he had such limited range.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Whew! Couldn't disagree more.

Tom Cruise has far more range than many more celebrated "actors" (see: Denzel Washington). Cruise's incredible good looks and his ability to man a blockbuster distract from his acting skills, but look at his filmography: Jerry Maguire, Magnolia, The Color of Money, Born On The Forth of July, A Few Good Men, Rain Man, Mission Impossible. There are few actors that could handle that set of roles.

He is a movie star, maybe the biggest movie star ever when you factor in longevity, but he is also an excellent actor. I don't think he could work with Kubrik, Scorsese, Coppola, Cameron Crowe, and Paul Thomas Anderson if he had such limited range.
    Don't forget his greatest roll, Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omgf9WuGwq8
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    That is true more recently but his filmography of non-action movies is actually really impressive.

Risky Business
    Cocktail (OK, it's not a great movie, but I agree with Bundaberg that it has a special place in my heart)
    Rain Man
    Born on the Fourth of July
    A Few Good Men
    The Firm (also not a great movie, but a personal favorite as I loved the book)
    Jerry McGuire

In the mid-90s I was in a restaurant in London with him when he was there to release Mission Impossible. We walked in and there was a ton of paparazzi outside. I knew it was not for me. I was sitting near one of the actresses from Cagney & Lacey but figured it was not for her. Then I saw Tom Cruise across the room and figured it out...

I'm also not a big fan of him as a human being, but I can separate the two. But I completely respect the opinion of those who feel otherwise.
    He's still playing a cocky guy who grows a little over the course of the movie and ends up the movie hero pretty much every time, whether it's straight action or some other blockbuster genre. I don't think he butchers roles as an actor, but I also don't think he's particularly great, apart from what I may think of him as a person. I'm generally not a big blockbuster or sequel franchise movie fan, so many of his movies just aren't in my sweet spot. I did like Rain Man a good bit. Apparently, Dustin Hoffman isn't a great guy either, but he's a fantastic actor. I was in the target audience for Risky Business at the time and enjoyed it, though I mainly remember Rebeca DeMornay from that movie.

He's still playing a cocky guy who grows a little over the course of the movie and ends up the movie hero pretty much every time, whether it's straight action or some other blockbuster genre. I don't think he butchers roles as an actor, but I also don't think he's particularly great, apart from what I may think of him as a person. I'm generally not a big blockbuster or sequel franchise movie fan, so many of his movies just aren't in my sweet spot. I did like Rain Man a good bit. Apparently, Dustin Hoffman isn't a great guy either, but he's a fantastic actor. I was in the target audience for Risky Business at the time and enjoyed it, though I mainly remember Rebeca DeMornay from that movie.
    I guess I'm in the minority, or maybe it's a sign of the times. I don't need my actors/musicians/entertainers to be fantastic people. I don't need my sports stars to be role models. I don't see them as "influencers."

I'll make those decisions on a case by case basis though. If my Seahawks had signed Deshawn Watson, that would have been the end of my fandom. I'm not lining up to watch Kevin Spacey movies at the moment. I haven't watched the Cosby show reruns in a LONG time.

I wouldn't go see Kanye West on tour, but I don't skip his songs when they come up on Pandora (this is one I'm still evaluating... his behavior of late has moved from "quirky" to "potentially abusive").

But as far as Tom Cruise and his weird religious beliefs? Or jumping on a couch because he was gaga for Katie Holmes?

I don't care.

I mean, I wouldn't want him dating my hypothetical daughter, but I can't get fired up about someone's odd political or religious beliefs. Life's too short.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Thats one of my favorites lol

I'm still upset that the Academy didn't recognize the artistic genius in that role.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

I didn’t realize it was Cruise until the credits at the end. Great role.

There was supposed to be a Les Grossman spin-off movie but it never launched.

I mainly remember my PE teacher from Seoul from that movie.

Does Maverick have moves like Les Grossman?
    https://youtu.be/vpChg17JYSA

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I have never given Cruise money. I give the theater money. What they do with the money after that is up to then.
    Surely you don't actually believe that this tortured logic holds water.
    By buying tickets to his movies, you are absolutely helping to bankroll the man's lifestyle.

And no, this isn't just about unusual religious beliefs. Scientology is abusive, exploitative, and inhumane, and Tom Cruise is both its biggest acolyte and one of the great beneficiaries of the deplorable depths it plumbs in victimizing people.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    By buying tickets to his movies, you are absolutely helping to bankroll the man's lifestyle.

And no, this isn't just about unusual religious beliefs. Scientology is abusive, exploitative, and inhumane, and Tom Cruise is both its biggest acolyte and one of the great beneficiaries of the deplorable depths it plumbs in victimizing people.
    I have it on good authority that Wilson absolutely detests Tom Cruise. Even ABBA is jealous of his loathing!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Freakier Tom Cruise movie: Legend or Eyes Wide Shut?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Vanilla Sky

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I bleeping adore Legend. It is not a great movie, not by any stretch, but the visual style of Ridley Scott combined with Tim Curry just chewing delightfully on every single line of dialogue while wearing 500-pounds of makeup make this flick absolutely riveting to me. Normal humans will find it slow and the script borderline incomprehensible at times, but I have a real soft spot for it in my heart.

Oh, and Cruise and Mia Sara are easy on the eyes... I don't what sexual orientation you are into.

And Bryan Ferry's "Is Your Love Strong Enough" (composed by 80s soundtrack superstars Tangerine Dream) has been in heavy rotation on the Jason Evans playlist for 30+ years.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Cruise's incredible good looks
    I've often felt I look like Tom Cruise. A bit taller, but still, we could be brothers.

Sadly, know one elae feels this way.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I've often felt I look like Tom Cruise. A bit taller
    Who isn't?

Back on topic...

https://variety.com/2022/film/market...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

The Cannes Film Festival crowd joyously interacted with the film during the screening, cheering and gasping at stunts. An overwhelming response came when Val Kilmer, who starred as Cruise nemesis Iceman in the original film, appeared in a scene with Cruise. The screening ended with a five-minute standing ovation from the crowd.
    Paramount even hired 5 fighter jets to fly over the festival trailing red, white, and blue smoke. Here's a pic of the cast watching the spectacle.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post

Isn't John Travolta a member of that cult?

JE - two things. Well, three. First, I also have Legend in my Hidden Gems list. Second, I had no idea that was Tim Curry. Third, despite seeing the movie a few times, I can’t ever recall hearing that song. It’s like it was the first time I’ve ever heard it and definitely the first time I’ve seen the video. And kind of wish that were still the case. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I bleeping adore Legend. It is not a great movie, not by any stretch, but the visual style of Ridley Scott combined with Tim Curry just chewing delightfully on every single line of dialogue while wearing 500-pounds of makeup make this flick absolutely riveting to me. Normal humans will find it slow and the script borderline incomprehensible at times, but I have a real soft spot for it in my heart.

Oh, and Cruise and Mia Sara are easy on the eyes... I don't what sexual orientation you are into.

And Bryan Ferry's "Is Your Love Strong Enough" (composed by 80s soundtrack superstars Tangerine Dream) has been in heavy rotation on the Jason Evans playlist for 30+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    JE - two things. Well, three. First, I also have Legend in my Hidden Gems list. Second, I had no idea that was Tim Curry. Third, despite seeing the movie a few times, I can’t ever recall hearing that song. It’s like it was the first time I’ve ever heard it and definitely the first time I’ve seen the video. And kind of wish that were still the case. :-)
    The music video contains about 40 seconds of instrumental preamble that are not on the version of the song that I have been playing for years and years. It has a cheesy 80s synch sound that may not be for everyone, but I love it.

And you didn't recognize that Darkness was played by Tim Curry? I mean, it looks just like him