My periodic D-Day remembrance message

An update. As time passes, we are losing more and more of those brave men and women who saved the world from Nazi brutality and conquest. Tomorrow is the 78th anniversary of D-Day (and, much less importantly, the start of my professional career with Haskins & Sells in 1977).
    --------
    Today marks the 72nd anniversary of the Normandy landing on D-Day, June 6, 1944. I spent some time this morning thinking about the bravery of the soldiers that day, and the resolve of our leadership in the face of powerful and driven enemies of freedom.

The "greatest generation" is slowly leaving us and we continue to owe them a debt of gratitude that, frankly, cannot be repaid in proportion to their sacrifice. And thank you to the veterans of our other wars and to those who have and are now serving this great country.

I thought it might be fitting to post Ike's message ("Order of the Day") on June 6, 1944. While brief, I think it captures what was at stake, and why we fought.

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world. Your task will not be an easy one.

Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

SIGNED: Dwight D. Eisenhower

God bless these great men and women. We cannot take for granted, or forget, their sacrifices in the face of unfavorable odds and significant challenges - then or now.

Amen!

Amen.

Ike went to see the paratroopers of the 88th Airborne before their mission because he felt that if he was going to send men to their deaths, then he should look them in the eye first. Truly admirable,