Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Question for Jason or anyone else: would the movie be appropriate for a (young) 12 year old girl?
    Yes.

i thought this was pretty interesting...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...232503334.html

$156m domestic opening. Monster performance.

Give them entertainment and they will come.

My wife and I are super seniors now; I'm 81 and she's almost 75. We saw it in IMAX last night and really enjoyed it. High adventure at its best. The dog fight scene is terrific. Cruise is great as a never-cured free-spirit...or...wait for it...Maverick--(not the lost calf version of that word).

His character has not grown up from the original. He's the Peter Pan of fighter jets. Ain't no one better, even if they are damn good.

Since he is forever a captain, though, what rank does he have with the scrambled eggs and the epaulets in the flash-forward scene where, in dress whites, he seems to ask Penny to marry him?

Wilson isn’t going to be happy about it but is Top Gun reigniting America’s love affair with the movies after a 2-year hiatus?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Wilson isn’t going to be happy about it but is Top Gun reigniting America’s love affair with the movies after a 2-year hiatus?
    FYI...the same actor that played Wilson in Castaway was also the same actor that played the uncredited volleyball in Top Gun.

(Totally stolen factoid, of course.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    My wife and I are super seniors now; I'm 81 and she's almost 75. We saw it in IMAX last night and really enjoyed it. High adventure at its best. The dog fight scene is terrific. Cruise is great as a never-cured free-spirit...or...wait for it...Maverick--(not the lost calf version of that word).

His character has not grown up from the original. He's the Peter Pan of fighter jets. Ain't no one better, even if they are damn good.

Since he is forever a captain, though, what rank does he have with the scrambled eggs and the epaulets in the flash-forward scene where, in dress whites, he seems to ask Penny to marry him?
    I really loved that Penny wasn't a new character. She is mentioned in the original.

is this the SPOILER thread? or the non-spoiler thread?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    is this the SPOILER thread? or the non-spoiler thread?
    Non! We aren't seeing it til Sunday, so shhhhhh!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I really loved that Penny wasn't a new character. She is mentioned in the original.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Saw it last night. It has the limitations that come with macho driven plotting but within that genre is very well done. Some humor, lots of excellent action sequences.

Wife wasn’t really interested, but came anyway….and loved it. That’s the appeal of this movie. I was sold by the previews. But she wants to see it again.

Wow, what fun! Loved it. The script avoided cliches and rolled right along. It must have been a blast for the real life pilots to film the flying sequences.
    Cruise was terrific. It was great to walk out and feel good.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

They are projecting a 33% drop on the second weekend which will set a record as the smallest week 2 drop off any movie that opened over $100 million.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    They are projecting a 33% drop on the second weekend which will set a record as the smallest week 2 drop off any movie that opened over $100 million.
    We were happy that we contributed to the record. That was lots of fun, we both enjoyed it lots. I think it pulled a little too much towards SW's The Force Awakens' strategy (retelling the original)...but I had a great time watching that movie too.

By the way, we took the same road home as we did to get to the theater, which includes a 15 minute stretch of 70MPH highway. Both ways, I was cruising along at 78, but only on the way back did my girlfriend ask "why are you going so fast?"