Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    This is shaping up to be Cruise's biggest opening weekend of all time. Which is shocking. That currently sits with War of the Worlds at $64m. Estimates I've seen project this anywhere from $80-$130m opening weekend. Holiday weekend helps as I think Monday would technically count?
    Inflation also helps.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Inflation also helps.
    I think about this every time any box office record is announced.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    This is shaping up to be Cruise's biggest opening weekend of all time. Which is shocking. That currently sits with War of the Worlds at $64m. Estimates I've seen project this anywhere from $80-$130m opening weekend. Holiday weekend helps as I think Monday would technically count?
    Not shocking, IMO.

Top Gun is probably one of the two or three movies that come to mind first when people think of Tom Cruise. That kind of nostalgia + the first summer release after a few summers when many of us have had to stay home from the theaters.

I am not surprised in the least.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Inflation also helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think about this every time any box office record is announced.
    $100m+ still beats it

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Not shocking, IMO.

Top Gun is probably one of the two or three movies that come to mind first when people think of Tom Cruise. That kind of nostalgia + the first summer release after a few summers when many of us have had to stay home from the theaters.

I am not surprised in the least.
    Would have assumed MI2 or 3 wouldve been his biggest.

Whose excited?

I must say, it sounds like the actors had to work hard, but they also are going to remember filming this movie as something special.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Tom Cruise, who ain't gonna come sit on a late night TV show couch and answer mundane questions, did the next best thing...

He took James Cordon up in a jet and spun him around in circles.

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it. Loved it, even though I was getting nauseous just watching it! Looks like TC is on helluva pilot, even if he is a lousy human being...

Looking forward to seeing Top Gun Maverick when it comes to my screen at home - not ready to go to a movie theater. CIS, yes, where everyone was vaccinated or tested negative. Public theater, NO.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Whose excited?

I must say, it sounds like the actors had to work hard, but they also are going to remember filming this movie as something special.
    And this was more than cool, too!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    CIS, yes, where everyone was vaccinated or tested negative.
    I don't know how you do it...especially against the Tarheels. So many players and people at the game will have Carolina Fever. Aren't you worried you can catch it? I know as a State fan, our red clothing keeps it away, it's like a facemask, but even better..but you Duke fans with your deeper shade of blue, so vulnerable and at risk.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't know how you do it...especially against the Tarheels. So many players and people at the game will have Carolina Fever. Aren't you worried you can catch it? I know as a State fan, our red clothing keeps it away, it's like a facemask, but even better..but you Duke fans with your deeper shade of blue, so vulnerable and at risk.
    Duke fans have a far better chance of catching Dick Crum than Carolina Fever.

(And from hats on campus in the 80's, herpes is preferable over both.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Keep the cure for Carolina fever on hand: Preparation H.

Saw it last night and LOVED it. To be fair, I was in 7th grade when the original came out and the movie was all my friends talked about. So there's a strong nostalgic pull here.

Lately, I've heard Danger Zone on the radio and thought 'this song doesn't hold up well'. The song takes on a new life in the opening sequence which grabs you right away and the music drives it. That sequence alone had excellent editing and sound. The sound of the cables whipping around on the deck really stuck out.

For the most part, I could buy the plot. It was well acted. There was less cheese factor than the original. They spent less time on the romance plot line than in the original which is good in my book. The gratuitous volleyball scene from the original was mirrored by a football scene but they at least gave it a purpose.

I quietly clapped at the end at which point my son said "No one who made the movie is here". At least I wasn't a coat wrangler 🙂

Meh. Count me as one of the few who are not excited by the prospect of a sequel to Top Gun, which I actually feel is one of the most overrated films ever.
    Yes, I enjoyed it when I saw it, but I didn't think it was 'all that.'

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    Saw it last night and LOVED it. To be fair, I was in 7th grade when the original came out and the movie was all my friends talked about. So there's a strong nostalgic pull here.
    I LOVED the movie, even more than I expected. I estimate I’ve seen the original (in full or in parts) 50 or maybe 100 times, so it is one of my favorites, and the nostalgia is a huge part of the movie’s appeal to me. I was strangely emotional during the whole thing.

The flying scenes are incredible, and I was literally trembling through the climactic scenes, despite the fact I was in the comfy recliner at my local theater and I kinda knew how it would turn out. I also thought how they included Val Kilmer was really well done (and could have been terrible).

My wife said she wanted to see it with me but I couldn’t wait so skipped out of work early for a Friday matinee. Can’t wait to see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    The flying scenes are incredible, and I was literally trembling through the climactic scenes, despite the fact I was in the comfy recliner at my local theater and I kinda knew how it would turn out.
    For folks who did not read my review (written more than 2 weeks ago): https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...s-top-gun.html

The dogfight sequences are jaw-dropping and the final 45 minutes are about as gripping as it gets on the big screen.
    I am thrilled so many of you are loving this film as much as I did. The final third is as exciting, crowd pleasing, and emotional as any finale in action movie history (others contenders - Avengers: Endgame final battle, Star Wars attack on death star, Terminator and T2 finales, a few others). A critic friend of mine who has always been very lukewarm on the original even said that this was one of his favorite action movies of all time. A little girl at my screening who said she had never even seen the first film said she loved it too.

It is truly a film for anyone/everyone. This is the film everyone should see this summer.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

For folks who did not read my review (written more than 2 weeks ago): https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...s-top-gun.html

I am thrilled so many of you are loving this film as much as I did. The final third is as exciting, crowd pleasing, and emotional as any finale in action movie history (others contenders - Avengers: Endgame final battle, Star Wars attack on death star, Terminator and T2 finales, a few others). A critic friend of mine who has always been very lukewarm on the original even said that this was one of his favorite action movies of all time. A little girl at my screening who said she had never even seen the first film said she loved it too.

It is truly a film for anyone/everyone. This is the film everyone should see this summer.
    I think you've covered it all Jason. The film had a little bit of everything, plot, action, good acting, a little romance and no foul language. I loved it and my wife liked it. For her to say she liked it is pretty remarkable because she normally doesn't like military movies. We went to the Friday matinee viewing and of course we saw in IMax.

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post

Lately, I've heard Danger Zone on the radio and thought 'this song doesn't hold up well'.
    You and I cannot be friends.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    (Salutes. Single tear streaming down cheek).

Question for Jason or anyone else: would the movie be appropriate for a (young) 12 year old girl?

Question for Jason or anyone else: would the movie be appropriate for a (young) 12 year old girl?
    Watched it with my 10 year old son and 12 year old daughter today. Almost no bad language and the violence is while flying so not too bad for the kids. They both enjoyed it. I made them watch the original last night and they liked “Maverick” much more. I really enjoyed it. The cinematography of the flight scenes is amazing.