Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I preferred Labyrinth to Legend for 80s sci-fi/fantasy kitzsch.

Why? Jennifer Connelly of course.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post

Wilson would approve. Muppets > Tom Cruise.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post

Mia Sara v Jennifer Connelly?

No one loses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Mia Sara v Jennifer Connelly?

No one loses.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    All things come full circle... Mia Sara is married to Brian Henson, the son of Jim Henson, the creator of the Muppets.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I certainly hope not! Let’s just say it’s no surprise Bowie was in a movie where he got to charm a teenage girl.

Art and life and such.

Frankly, I’m surprised Wilson would associate with the muppets for associating with Bowie!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    All things come full circle... Mia Sara is married to Brian Henson, the son of Jim Henson, the creator of the Muppets.
    Must spread sporks. That's some trippy trivia.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Must spread sporks. That's some trippy trivia.
    Wilson definitely approves, because Labyrinth is a masterpiece. Extra points to the various posters knowledgeable enough not to call it "The Labyrinth." Bowie was for sure problematic, but as CB&B notes, Muppets > Tom Cruise.

Even more trippy trivia: Toby, the baby from the movie, was played by Toby (his real name) Froud, son of Brian Froud, who was basically the main production designer for both Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. You may also recognize his work from art books like Faeries in the late '70s:
    6a00e54fcf7385883401b8d2649bb0970c.jpg

...anyway, Toby Froud grew up to be a puppeteer and fabricator in his own right, with his work featured in (excellent) films like ParaNorman, Kubo and the Two Strings, and (not quite so excellent) The Boxtrolls. He was the lead design supervisor for the (again, excellent) Dark Crystal Netflix series, and has his own production company, Stripey Pajama Productions, a nod to his Labyrinth costume way back when:
    https___s3-images.ladbible.com_s3_content_dfee97b1585ec075bffca1321a78f8b9.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Wilson definitely approves, because Labyrinth is a masterpiece. Extra points to the various posters knowledgeable enough not to call it "The Labyrinth." Bowie was for sure problematic, but as CB&B notes, Muppets > Tom Cruise.

Even more trippy trivia: Toby, the baby from the movie, was played by Toby (his real name) Froud, son of Brian Froud, who was basically the main production designer for both Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. You may also recognize his work from art books like Faeries in the late '70s:
    6a00e54fcf7385883401b8d2649bb0970c.jpg

...anyway, Toby Froud grew up to be a puppeteer and fabricator in his own right, with his work featured in (excellent) films like ParaNorman, Kubo and the Two Strings, and (not quite so excellent) The Boxtrolls. He was the lead design supervisor for the (again, excellent) Dark Crystal Netflix series, and has his own production company, Stripey Pajama Productions, a nod to his Labyrinth costume way back when:
    https___s3-images.ladbible.com_s3_content_dfee97b1585ec075bffca1321a78f8b9.jpg
    Acknowledging that this may be a can o worms, but what was Bowie problematic? Only issue I can see is some very tight pants in a kids movie.

Acknowledging that this may be a can o worms, but what was Bowie problematic? Only issue I can see is some very tight pants in a kids movie.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-aged-15.html

Tom Cruise is an awful person and you shouldn’t give him your money.
    There’s a bunch on every movie set. Shouldn’t stop anyone from watching something. You’re also giving the middle finger to hundreds of other people who worked hard and really need the revenue.

That’s not directed at you but at that sentiment in general for movies, sports, etc…

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    There’s a bunch on every movie set. Shouldn’t stop anyone from watching something. You’re also giving the middle finger to hundreds of other people who worked hard and really need the revenue.

That’s not directed at you but at that sentiment in general for movies, sports, etc…
    To up this, can you imagine the news that you've been hired for a franchise film? That's pretty big, and even bigger if it's for something like "lead carpenter". I know it sounds like a ridiculous title, but that shows that someone had enough faith in you to move you up.
    I don't know how many years ago it was when such credits started showing up, but I actually pay attention to those, just because it's perfect that they are being acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post

This is a valid, perfectly reasonable point, and since this is the Internet, I offer no argument (that’s how you do it, right?).

This is a valid, perfectly reasonable point, and since this is the Internet, I offer no argument (that’s how you do it, right?).
    My argument was upthread. Everyone gets to decide what they spend money and time on. If you think Tom Cruise, Roman Polanski, or Kanye West are reprehensible and don't deserve your entertainment attention- cool. I don't think we get to decide what other people should or shouldn't be offended by or what should be deal breakers.

As someone whose personal life has been touched by mental health in many different ways, I find some of Cruise's comments abhorrent. Other people think Kyrie's anti-science chatter is a non-starter.

That's the beauty of being an individual. We can all make those choices.

Of course, thinking like that would render most of the internet useless.

Question for Jason or others: do top actors also get a cut of the per-stream viewing? Or can I enjoy the movie at home without contributing to this artist directly?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Question for Jason or others: do top actors also get a cut of the per-stream viewing? Or can I enjoy the movie at home without contributing to this artist directly?
    Leave us out of your Kevin Spacey binge-fests.

…I find some of Cruise's comments abhorrent. Other people think Kyrie's anti-science chatter is a non-starter...
    Other people are both of these people…

It depends on the contract signed by the actor. In some cases they merely get a flat fee, in others they get a cut of the take from ticket sales, and others will get a piece of the streaming or TV/DVD rights as well. I strongly suspect that an superstar like Tom Cruise (an argument could be made that he is among the most successful and bankable actors in Hollywood history) will get a piece of everything.

But, even if he did not, one could argue that any way you see the movie, you are contributing to his overall success. Lets say he did not get a penny of streaming revenues... if they movie turned into a hit in the streaming world, that would absolutely allow Cruise to demand more money in future films that would also be expected to be a streaming success due to his presence.

-Jason "anyone want to discuss/debate the most successful actors of our lifetimes? I'm not talking only awards, I am talking about making money from their films over many, many years. Let's try this on for an initial list: Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks, Robert Redford, Will Smith, Bruce Willis, and Denzel Washington**" Evans

** - And don't come back at me with RDJr or Samuel L Jackson just because they were in a bunch of Star Was or Marvel movies. I'm talking multiple franchises and bankability in something that is not already established IP.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It depends on the contract signed by the actor. In some cases they merely get a flat fee, in others they get a cut of the take from ticket sales, and others will get a piece of the streaming or TV/DVD rights as well. I strongly suspect that an superstar like Tom Cruise (an argument could be made that he is among the most successful and bankable actors in Hollywood history) will get a piece of everything.

But, even if he did not, one could argue that any way you see the movie, you are contributing to his overall success. Lets say he did not get a penny of streaming revenues... if they movie turned into a hit in the streaming world, that would absolutely allow Cruise to demand more money in future films that would also be expected to be a streaming success due to his presence.

-Jason "anyone want to discuss/debate the most successful actors of our lifetimes? I'm not talking only awards, I am talking about making money from their films over many, many years. Let's try this on for an initial list: Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks, Robert Redford, Will Smith, Bruce Willis, and Denzel Washington**" Evans

** - And don't come back at me with RDJr or Samuel L Jackson just because they were in a bunch of Star Was or Marvel movies. I'm talking multiple franchises and bankability in something that is not already established IP.
    Thanks for the info!

I’d add Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Keanu Reeves, Sean Connery, and Nick Cage if we’re limiting to male actors. Brando and DeNiro obviously too.

we’re limiting to male actors.
    Russell Crowe?

FWIW, Jennifer Connolly can have all of my money...

RDJr literally basically owned Iron Man and I've got no doubt that the MCU wouldn't be what it is without him and those first movies.
    That might not be your best example. (Plus he has been quite bankable in other movies as well, aside from Dr. Poolittle.) Not saying your overall point isn't sound.