Ademola Okulaja 1975 - 2022 RIP

https://basketnews.com/news-172063-a...way-at-46.html

German basketball legend Ademola Okulaja died at the age of 46. The cause of death is not known.
    Really stunning to hear about someone taken so young. I know we clowned on the guy over the years for his "we beat ourselves" comment but he was a big part of the The Rivalry and went far, far, far too soon.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wow. That's very sad news.

Very sad indeed. RIP.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

RIP. I hope he didn't beat himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It's your choice, but to me, this joke needs to die with him.

In your defense, JasonEvans probably should have quoted the whole sentence instead of inviting a self-flagellation punchline.

According to BIG information, German basketball legend Ademola Okulaja died at the age of 46. The cause of death is not known but Okulaja was fighting cancer for many years.

I love humor at the expense of Carolina, and will continue to appreciate the mockery of their many fools who are still alive and healthy.

Tough news. 46 is way too young. :-(

cancer sucks

RIP - he was just a few months younger than me. Very sad.

I remember him more as a complementary player but he actually had a very impressive career. He was on the UNC final four six starters team in 1998, then first-team All-ACC in 1999. The All-ACC rosters that year:

1st Team: Brand, Langdon, Francis, Terence Morris and Okulaja
    2nd Team: Avery, Terrell McIntyre, Ed Cota, Jason Collier, Robert O'Kelley
    3rd Team: Battier, Carrawell, Ron Hale, Laron Profit, Chris Williams

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Some players in The Rivalry stand out more than others, some for their contributions on the court, some for their contributions off, and of course some fall in the middle.
    He's in that mix, which is why we're taking note.

RIP, and thank you for your contributions to making the best rivalry in sports what it is.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I wish nothing negative toward the young man. Cancer is a tragedy and takes many who are far too young. RIP big fella.

Boo.

Prayers for the family. Cancer sucks.

RIP Ademola.

I'll add to the "Boo" sentiment on this one. A rival for sure, but a human being too.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It's your choice, but to me, this joke needs to die with him.

In your defense, JasonEvans probably should have quoted the whole sentence instead of inviting a self-flagellation punchline.

According to BIG information, German basketball legend Ademola Okulaja died at the age of 46. The cause of death is not known but Okulaja was fighting cancer for many years.

I love humor at the expense of Carolina, and will continue to appreciate the mockery of their many fools who are still alive and healthy.
    Let's not forget the "beats himself" joke though. It's a great rivarly moment to which I'll add two things:

1) He was right. It pains me to say, but that '98 Carolina team was the best in the country that season. They scared me. They were intimidating and maybe had the best group of four players in the country. Finding their fifth guy was a struggle, but they should not have lost to Utah. Dean would have secured that championship. Crying in the tunnel before the game, falsely accusing other players of racism, yeah... that's the kind of stuff that makes you beat yourself.

2) He and his teammates took the "Ademola Okulaja beat himself" chant with grace. I was at the game when we started in on that chant in warmups. They laughed, genuinely.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

I can only “hear” his name in my head as voiced by Woody Durham. I think Woody added about five extra syllables. RIP sir.