Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NHL Playoffs 2022

Surprised this hasn’t been started yet. I bet there are some NHL fans on these boards. The 2022 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs are in full swing. It is one of the most entertaining sporting events of the year. The guys really fly around out there. In the Western Conference, the Colorado Avalanche swept the Nashville Predators in the first round. My St. Louis Blues took a 3-2 series lead over the Minnesota Wild last night and have a shot at winning the series tomorrow in St. Louis. They’ll face the Avalanche if they advance. The Sacramento Kings lead the Edmonton Oilers in their series 3-2. The Calgary Flames and Dallas Stars are tied 2-2.

In the East, the Carolina Hurricanes lead the Boston Bruins 3-2. The Toronto Maple Leafs lead the Tampa Bay Lightning 3-2. The Pittsburgh Penguins lead the New York Rangers 3-1. And the Florida Panthers are tied 2-2 with the Washington Capitals.

I've been watching. One of the more interesting aspects has actually been totally unrelated to the games themselves...it appears that ESPN/ESPN2 have been running the games with no score ticker. After years (decades?) of every ESPN broadcast seemingly running a ticker even during ads, it's jarringly noticeable...not necessarily in a bad way, but more in a "I wonder if I should switch over to the other game on ESPN(2). I guess I need to change the channel to see what's happening over there." way. Even the score bug is fairly small. There's just so much room on my TV for actual hockey!

I'm a Canes fan and a new(ish) hockey fan. A big thing in this series is the matchups. Can someone explain to me the "coach of home ice team gets the last pick of matchups" thing? I sort of understand but I also sort of don't.

Anyways, I hope the Canes wrap this up in Boston. I was at the game last night and the crowd is electric, but no sense in playing the game 7 crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    I'm a Canes fan and a new(ish) hockey fan. A big thing in this series is the matchups. Can someone explain to me the "coach of home ice team gets the last pick of matchups" thing? I sort of understand but I also sort of don't.

Anyways, I hope the Canes wrap this up in Boston. I was at the game last night and the crowd is electric, but no sense in playing the game 7 crap shoot.
    As a very casual hockey fan, I openly root for any game seven. Best thing in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    As a very casual hockey fan, I openly root for any game seven. Best thing in sports.
    3rd period of a game 7 seven is absolute insanity. Agree there is really nothing like it.

The New York Rangers beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 5-3 tonight at Madison Square Garden to force a game 6 back in Pittsburgh. The Penguins lost star Sidney Crosby to an elbow to the head in the second period and he never returned. He has battled concussion issues during his career with at least four confirmed concussions sustained. Something to keep an eye on will be his availability moving forward in the series/playoffs for the Penguins.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post

When there is a faceoff (start of period or after play stopped by whistle), teams can change the players they have on the ice (exception: a team that ices the puck cannot change players before the faceoff). If visiting team makes a change, home team can then change who they have on ice and visitors cannot respond in kind. The home team can control the matchup of players on the ice when play starts after a whistle, and that can be a big deal when trying to limit the effectiveness of star offensive players as well as favorable matchups at Center to try to win the faceoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    When there is a faceoff (start of period or after play stopped by whistle), teams can change the players they have on the ice (exception: a team that ices the puck cannot change players before the faceoff). If visiting team makes a change, home team can then change who they have on ice and visitors cannot respond in kind. The home team can control the matchup of players on the ice when play starts after a whistle, and that can be a big deal when trying to limit the effectiveness of star offensive players as well as favorable matchups at Center to try to win the faceoff.

Ah thanks! I didn't realize that was a home or away thing. This seems to be a big advantage.

Holy cow with that hit on Aho.

With apologies to Issa Rae, I’m rooting for everybody Canadian.

The St. Louis Blues defeated the Minnesota Wild 5-1 last night in St. Louis to take the series 4-2 and move onto the Western Conference semifinals versus the Colorado Avalanche.

Hockey: Boston Bruins v Carolina Hurricanes, Game 7

Anyone else watching this game right now? I can’t believe I didn’t think of attending in-person considering I only live 20 minutes away.

I grew up a Bruins fan and it’s hard for me to root against them, but I’ve adopted the Hurricanes since moving here in 2000.

This is a tough one.

Fun start. My Tar Heel Neighbor is a life long Bruins fan who is really enjoying this series and will root for the winner moving forward.

Great hot first period. Should be a killer finish.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I'll be watching the Maple Leafs game tonight more closely... I'm a Red Wings fan and am supposed to had the Leafs, but since the Leafs were HORRIBLE for most of my childhood (while the Wings were winning 4 cups) that rivalry never cemented in my heart. So I'll be rooting for the Leafs because I'd rather my friends and colleagues in Toronto be happy tomorrow morning than depressed.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!

(obligatory lowercase)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!

(obligatory lowercase)
    Nice win tonight! Canes had to be like literal seconds away from going empty net.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Game starting times

Here in flyover country (St. Louis), the games are listed for an 8:30 starting time here, and actually starting more like 8:45 or later. Thanks for nothing, NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Nice win tonight! Canes had to be like literal seconds away from going empty net.
    Announcer said during the game that no Rangers player is older than 24. Wow that is young. And that youth came to the surface in the third period and OT. I would’ve loved to have been in a New York bar when the winning goal was scored. Just a critical lapse in judgment by the rangers defenseman to attempt to knock the puck out of the air. Bad bad bad idea. With no net front presence by the Canes The Rangers goalie was easily tracking a fairly slow moving puck. That’s the type of loss that has a potential to stick with you. It’ll be interesting to see how the young Rangers team responds in game two.

Go Canes!!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Announcer said during the game that no Rangers player is older than 24.
    That was the 5 on the ice...not the full roster...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Announcer said during the game that no Rangers player is older than 24. Wow that is young. And that youth came to the surface in the third period and OT. I would’ve loved to have been in a New York bar when the winning goal was scored. Just a critical lapse in judgment by the rangers defenseman to attempt to knock the puck out of the air. Bad bad bad idea. With no net front presence by the Canes The Rangers goalie was easily tracking a fairly slow moving puck. That’s the type of loss that has a potential to stick with you. It’ll be interesting to see how the young Rangers team responds in game two.

Go Canes!!
    I didn't watch the game, but suspect it was no player on the ice being over 24. They have lots of players on the team older than that.

And Go Canes!! is spot on.