Duke Offering Tik Tok Class

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...class-for-that

I can't actually get behind the paywall, but I hope social media star and Duke recruit Jared McCain makes an appearance. For context, he has 1.5 million followers on tik tok and 430k followers on instagram. The official Duke men's basketball instagram account has 1.3 million followers and their tik tok account has 376k followers. Jared also still has another year of highschool left.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...class-for-that

I can't actually get behind the paywall, but I hope social media star and Duke recruit Jared McCain makes an appearance. For context, he has 1.5 million followers on tik tok and 430k followers on instagram. The official Duke men's basketball instagram account has 1.3 million followers and their tik tok account has 376k followers. Jared also still has another year of highschool left.
    Hope it ages better than the MySpace class they had when I was there.

on a side note, Google appears to have sneakily packaged the TikTok app in a recent security update to my Android phone, installed without my request or consent, and despite my settings being as locked down as I could make them.

If there's any doubt, I take a very dim view of this sort of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    on a side note, Google appears to have sneakily packaged the TikTok app in a recent security update to my Android phone, installed without my request or consent, and despite my settings being as locked down as I could make them.

I can assure you that did not happen. Either you installed it by mistake, someone else that uses your phone installed it (significant other/kids/grandkids for instance), or you have some kind of malware.

Google is not installing TikTok on people's phones, nor would they.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

That sounds very iffy. For one, Google doesn't own Tik Tok, some company in China does. They aren't going to voluntarily force another company's product on you. I've looked as much as I can, and can't find a single instance of an Android update including Tik Tok.

My GF wound up with Tik Tok on her phone, and I know it hasn't installed any such updates, she simply did it herself without being aware of the fact that she did it. (Happened some time during her watching of many TT vids on Facebook.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I can assure you that did not happen. Either you installed it by mistake, someone else that uses your phone installed it (significant other/kids/grandkids for instance), or you have some kind of malware.

Google is not installing TikTok on people's phones, nor would they.
    It’s possible it’s a manufacturers update. They get paid to include apps. It’s also the reason you can’t delete some preinstalled apps like Facebook or carrier apps. You can only disable them. Last year Samsung’s update to the new version of Android (12?) added a couple new apps and removed a few others. I guess they changed weather providers because my dad was angry that his Accuweather was gone. I assumed user error but no he was right it was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    It’s possible it’s a manufacturers update. They get paid to include apps. It’s also the reason you can’t delete some preinstalled apps like Facebook or carrier apps. You can only disable them. Last year Samsung’s update to the new version of Android (12?) added a couple new apps and removed a few others. I guess they changed weather providers because my dad was angry that his Accuweather was gone. I assumed user error but no he was right it was gone.
    I only use my phone for phone calls - and the rare text. I don't use apps.

Might have Samsung put an "install wrapper" on an Android/Google security update? TikTok appeared after a Google Security update became available and I agreed to install it. I did not notice any other update (such as from Samsung) declare itself. I've always heard that phone security updates have to be delivered from the manufacturer (a weakness in Android, as some manufacturers are very slow to roll them out). So perhaps Samsung had a hand in it, but labeled it as a Google thing.

Later, after watching this video:

https://youtu.be/RyT5n8HD9Wk

I was if any apps had the right to install other apps; none listed on my phone did. I had the bases covered as far as that video's recommendations go, save for "data usage access", I think. But nothing about installs.

Anyway if you all are right, my distrust is now a bit more diffuse to the Android mobile phone platform & practices generally.