Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Congrats Carlos!

So K can retire his jersey now, right?
    Carlos Boozer’s college basketball career at Duke didn’t end the way he wanted: the Blue Devils were upset by Indiana in the 2002 NCAA Tournament.

Boozer then declared for the 2002 NBA draft, leaving school after three years. And leaving without a degree.

Boozer now has it. The former Blue Devils big man posted a photo Tuesday of his Duke diploma on his Instagram page (@MrCBooz). The Bachelor of Arts degree is dated Sept. 1, 2020.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...245574985.html
    Last edited by -jk; 09-08-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: fix tags
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This makes my day. Congrats Los!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Good for him! Also a good reminder that leaving early for the NBA is NOT necessarily a tradeoff vs. getting a degree. One can do both.

This is awesome! Contrats to Carlos and his family!
    We are very proud of you!!!

Great to hear Way to go Carlos
    Prince if he was alive would complement you too as his former landlord

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Good for him! Also a good reminder that leaving early for the NBA is NOT necessarily a tradeoff vs. getting a degree. One can do both.
    Yes if you leave after three years. Very very hard to do for the one and dones at Duke. I don't think anybody has done it yet.

But more importantly, congrats Carlos! Glad to see he got his degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yes if you leave after three years. Very very hard to do for the one and dones at Duke. I don't think anybody has done it yet.

But more importantly, congrats Carlos! Glad to see he got his degree.
    Too early to say. They are still playing in the nba. I don’t think it’s particularly hard at all. They may choose not to spend the time on it though

Great news about Carlos. Maybe he'll start posting here. I'll def give him as many sporks as I can before I have to pass them around more.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

If Carlos would start posting here - maybe he could give us updates on his son Cameron! I believe that young player has quite the future at Duke !

Congrats Booze! Boy, he got into the NBA just in time. I'm not sure he would have had nearly the career that he did if he'd entered the league 10 years later. His size and style just wouldn't have had as many opportunities to shine. What a great success story after he was drafted in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Too early to say. They are still playing in the nba. I don’t think it’s particularly hard at all. They may choose not to spend the time on it though
    Duke is very stingy when it comes to transferring credits and isn't with the online coursework either (ironic given the times we're in). So, unless you're willing to show up in Durham for a considerable time, it'd be hard to get credit for three years of coursework at Duke...Perhaps at other schools it's much easier, and maybe they'd provide more flexibility for players that want their degree at Duke. Maybe we're saying the same thing as it's simply a large commitment of time (whether that's "hard" or not is certainly subject to debate). Carlos was only missing a year and got his degree 18 years later. I think it'd be tough for somebody missing three years, but would love to see it! As you said, they're still playing in the NBA (except for Maggette and Deng).

Again, glad to see Carlos with his degree. I believe it's a requirement to coach in the ACC. I think he's been busy with his contributions to the ACC Network, but with everything going on, perhaps he had more downtime recently.

Anyone know what major he got his degree in? Just curious.

Congratulations Carlos Boozer

Congratulations on obtaining your Duke degree. I know it is not the easiest thing in the world for a multi-millionaire to come back 12 or so years later and finish course work. You can justifiably be proud of your accomplishment and hopefully it will serve as an incentive for others to follow your example.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Anyone know what major he got his degree in? Just curious.
    BA in Sociology

BA in Sociology
    Boozer came back today to get his diploma- he attended the big one in Wallace Wade and the small one on campus.

Most admirable. What a great lesson for his children. Life is a continuum, not a moment.

Congratulations !!!!

The name of the game is college basketball. Obviously many players financially should leave before getting their degree. Great to someone who stuck with it and earned his.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Boozer came back today to get his diploma- he attended the big one in Wallace Wade and the small one on campus.
    That’s fantastic! Congrats, Booze!

As you said, they're still playing in the NBA (except for Maggette and Deng).
    Less than two years on, there's a few more no longer in the league. And therefore shorter careers and quite a bit younger than those two, so maybe. But still doubtful.

Good for Carlos!

What an achievement for Carlos. Just fantastic. Congratulations Mr. Boozer!