• Sam's team: Zion, Jah, Tatum, Trent, Reddish, Maggette, Rivers

33 45.21%
  • Jason's team: Kyrie, RJ, Ingram, Winslow, Carter, Carey, Cassius

29 39.73%
  • Donald's team: Bagley, Tyus, Paolo, Deng, Griffin, Jabari, Duval

11 15.07%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Apologies for not listening to the podcast yet, but to be clear on the rules here: are we judging which team has the best collection of OAD talent from Duke, or are we judging who we think would win an actual basketball game with these players at the level they were at at Duke? Because my answer changes drastically depending...
    It is the latter. We are picking the best team. 5 starters (your first 5 picks) plus 2 subs. How the players fit together and how their skills complement each other is absolutely part of the task. We were told to draft a team of players based on the pool of OAD former Dukies and to juge the players based on how they played when they were at Duke (not based on how their NBA careers turned out).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Does anyone have a good game simulator these teams could be loaded into?

-jk

I've always thought Wendell Carter gets severely underrated. I absolutely loved watching him play. He was a solid rebounder and shotblocker with the size to anchor a defense. He had fantastic footwork in the low post, and a reliable jump shot all the way out to 3. If Bagley weren't also on the team, Carter would have put up the gaudy numbers that would have gotten more attention. He just had no holes in his game as a big.

Add Vernon Carey as his backup, and Jason's team has excellent two-way play at center at all times. Then you add an offensive genius in Kyrie, and versatile wings in Barrett, Justise and Ingram...that team can shoot, defend, and everything else in between.

Sam's team, as already mentioned, lacks ball handlers, and also seems vulnerable against quick point guards (who is guarding Kyrie or Tyus?).

I love Donald's core of Tyus-Luol-Paolo, and it's a steal that he could also add Jabari. But between Jabari, Bagley, and even Griffin/Paolo, there are some real question marks on defense. Great core, but the pieces don't quite fit well enough.

So I'd rank 'em:

1st - Jason

2nd - Donald

3rd - Sam

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is the latter. We are picking the best team. 5 starters (your first 5 picks) plus 2 subs. How the players fit together and how their skills complement each other is absolutely part of the task. We were told to draft a team of players based on the pool of OAD former Dukies and to juge the players based on how they played when they were at Duke (not based on how their NBA careers turned out).
    In that case, Sam's team is eliminated for me, but not because of the PG issue: I think having Jah on the court with Zion would significantly limit both of their abilities to operate as desired. In contrast, I think Don's team is much more complimentary, and I especially like the Marvin/Paolo frontcourt. Jabari Parker on the bench is also possibly the steal of the draft: we don't look fondly back on that season because of how it ended, but people forget how talented Jabari was at Duke.

Jason's team is intriguing given the strategy of surrounding Kyrie with big, versatile wings. But give me Don's team by a hair because of the best sixth man (by a significant margin, in my view), Tyus Stones at the point, and AJ and Luol spacing the floor for a dominant and complimentary frontcourt.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I went with Jason's team because the pieces seem to fit well. I think the lane would get a little clogged having both Zion and Jah in there, so that broke the tie for me.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    In that case, Sam's team is eliminated for me, but not because of the PG issue: I think having Jah on the court with Zion would significantly limit both of their abilities to operate as desired. In contrast, I think Don's team is much more complimentary, and I especially like the Marvin/Paolo frontcourt. Jabari Parker on the bench is also possibly the steal of the draft: we don't look fondly back on that season because of how it ended, but people forget how talented Jabari was at Duke.

Jason's team is intriguing given the strategy of surrounding Kyrie with big, versatile wings. But give me Don's team by a hair because of the best sixth man (by a significant margin, in my view), Tyus Stones at the point, and AJ and Luol spacing the floor for a dominant and complimentary frontcourt.
    I've always liked you, Scott!

Jabari still on the board was something I expected to happen because of how 2014 ended, but his stats don't lie and neither does the way he really dominated that season for us in several areas.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Jabari still on the board was something I expected to happen because of how 2014 ended, but his stats don't lie and neither does the way he really dominated that season for us in several areas.
    Jabari or Vernon Carey? Who is the better bench pick?

Player A - 19.1ppg, 8.7rpg, 1.2apg, 1.2bpg, 47.3 FG%, 35.8 3FG%, 28.4 PER, 5.5 WS, 115.0 Ortg, 99.3 Drtg
    Player B - 17.8ppg, 8.8rpg, 1.0apg, 1.6bpg, 57.7 FG%, 38.1 3FG%, 34.1 PER, 5.6 WS, 121.2 Ortg, 88.0 Drtg

PER = Player Efficiency Rating, WS = Win Shares, Ortg = offensive points scored per 100 possessions (the higher, the better), Drtg = defensive points allowed per 100 possessions (the lower, the better)

The regular stats are fairly similar, but look at the advanced stats. Honestly, it isn't really that close.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Can another Detroiter get some love?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Always!! You know you're the favorite around here.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Ah, now I understand the DW!

Btw, I do think Luol might be the most underrated on all these teams. He was such a smooth star who had the skills and attitude to improve everybody on his team…

Whichever team has Tyus Stones gets my vote. Congratulations, Donald!

It’s a tossup between Jason and Donald. Sams team is just gonna get destroyed by the other 2. Who’s playmaking? The spacing is gonna be awful for Zion and Jah and neither protects the rim
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I think us Detroiters take the offseason extra hard given how crappy all of our pro sports teams are right now, haha. I was optimistic about the Tigers this year, but now our entire starting rotation is hurt. Alas...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jabari or Vernon Carey? Who is the better bench pick?

Player A - 19.1ppg, 8.7rpg, 1.2apg, 1.2bpg, 47.3 FG%, 35.8 3FG%, 28.4 PER, 5.5 WS, 115.0 Ortg, 99.3 Drtg
    Player B - 17.8ppg, 8.8rpg, 1.0apg, 1.6bpg, 57.7 FG%, 38.1 3FG%, 34.1 PER, 5.6 WS, 121.2 Ortg, 88.0 Drtg

PER = Player Efficiency Rating, WS = Win Shares, Ortg = offensive points scored per 100 possessions (the higher, the better), Drtg = defensive points allowed per 100 possessions (the lower, the better)

The regular stats are fairly similar, but look at the advanced stats. Honestly, it isn't really that close.
    True, but I'm assuming the game is being played "today", which means that Jabari's versatility would have more value than Vernon's limitations as a "traditional" center. Maybe I also should've asked what era this game is being played in, what version of Coach K each team has, etc... SO MANY QUESTIONS!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I'll take our '91-'92 team over any of them but that's a team without OADs, but it was a team.

GoDuke!

... I got Tyus Stones, one of the most clutch players in Duke history. I got Mr. Second Jump. I got P5. I got Luol...
    You know you're the favorite around here.
    As long as I can seats behind the bench, I vote for blazin.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Apologies to those that voted logically but I had to go with Sam. Zion at point is just too wonderful a fantasy to discount. He was running several sets like that with the Pelicans, and he can get to the lane with one dribble. It’s so crazy it just might work.

I just recently started listening to the podcast. It’s a little strange to hear your voices after many, many years of reading your posts.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR