Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

VPN recommendations

I have scrolled back over a year to see if this conversation exists, and a search term also bore no fruit. We have international travel coming up, prompting us to consider using a VPN for the first time. We have had several hacks over the years with our WIFI providers. Once we found out that the hacker stole our account to watch Netflix, and we cut them off during the middle of a Mr Bean episode, according to the Netflix help desk. Another hack provided a month's rent at an apartment in Raleigh.
    So I feel the time is now to up our game. Any suggestions on a service of high repute? I reviewed CNET but I am still grappling with the mechanics.
    Some questions-
    1. Is it needed or useful for LTE/5G
    2. Does it regulate all home traffic through the router, or only designated traffic ( Eg, browser traffic, but not Netflix app)
    3. What level of protection does it provide? For instance, were past hacks on our end, or likely from a Credit Card company breach.
    4. If you use a service, does it slow down your traffic.
    5. How does it protect information (eg passwords) sitting on your device if they are not being used in the transaction.
    Any comments or links that would answer some of these questions would be appreciated.

I use OpenVPN with an account setup my son created and passed on to me. It seamless and simple and baffles me. 🤠

FWIW, my experience with VPN (via McAfee) is that it provides one more potential point of failure in a connection, although that does not occur terribly often. So make sure your provider allows you to turn it off and on on demand (which they all probably do allow). Also, there are some destination sites that just do not work well or at all with VPN in the middle, particularly sites that use IP network identification to disallow connections from supposedly ill-behaved networks (since VPN adds a hop and makes it look to the destination like you're coming in from some totally different network, network filtering at some destinations will create a chance that your connection might be refused). One provider that does not work with VPN at all, in my experience, is MLB.com (which I use to view my beloved Rockies); I always have to turn VPN off before connecting to that.

I don't see how VPN comes into play at all with your point #5; it does not protect information residing on your device, it just protects information transmitted from your device over the internet. At least, that is my rather-lowly-educated opinion.

How sure are you that it was a matter of WIFI/networking security, as opposed to just using compromised passwords?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    How sure are you that it was a matter of WIFI/networking security, as opposed to just using compromised passwords?
    Exactly.
    A VPN is not in any way real protection. The name alone gives it away. Virtual Private Network.
    Well guess what...any network can be hacked. Ask any major country or corporation, who are both paying out millions with a potential "b" to stay safe.
    Your password is the #1 item that protects you, so pick a good one, and change it frequently.

The biggest draw for any VPN company for their clients is so they can be somewhere they are not. That means that you can be "in Chicago" while watching your blacked out sports game in Durham.

From my own personal use, and that of a few clients, I'm fairly certain that some of the more popular named VPNs are the same folks. (And I guarantee you they ain't in this country, so you are likely putting your faith in the Chinese. Not saying that's bad, just pointing out the irony.)
    I've had experience with TORguard, and I myself use PIA (Private Internet Access). The two are dead on the same interface. (Kind of like how Avast and AVG are the same antivirus.)
    Big plus is that a year subscription covers like a dozen devices, so I have one installed on our tailgate computer, one at home, and I've given a friend access, and I still have multiple logins that I'll never use.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Not endorsing them, just saying that I've had a good experience for the $3 or so it cost me.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Exactly.
    A VPN is not in any way real protection. The name alone gives it away. Virtual Private Network.
    Well guess what...any network can be hacked. Ask any major country or corporation, who are both paying out millions with a potential "b" to stay safe.
    Your password is the #1 item that protects you, so pick a good one, and change it frequently.

The biggest draw for any VPN company for their clients is so they can be somewhere they are not. That means that you can be "in Chicago" while watching your blacked out sports game in Durham.

From my own personal use, and that of a few clients, I'm fairly certain that some of the more popular named VPNs are the same folks. (And I guarantee you they ain't in this country, so you are likely putting your faith in the Chinese. Not saying that's bad, just pointing out the irony.)
    I've had experience with TORguard, and I myself use PIA (Private Internet Access). The two are dead on the same interface. (Kind of like how Avast and AVG are the same antivirus.)
    Big plus is that a year subscription covers like a dozen devices, so I have one installed on our tailgate computer, one at home, and I've given a friend access, and I still have multiple logins that I'll never use.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Not endorsing them, just saying that I've had a good experience for the $3 or so it cost me.
    I know folks who use VPNs to, for instance, hide their internet traffic to DBR during work hours. Is this likely an effective strategy?

Asking for a friend, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    1. Is it needed or useful for LTE/5G
    2. Does it regulate all home traffic through the router, or only designated traffic ( Eg, browser traffic, but not Netflix app)
    3. What level of protection does it provide? For instance, were past hacks on our end, or likely from a Credit Card company breach.
    4. If you use a service, does it slow down your traffic.
    5. How does it protect information (eg passwords) sitting on your device if they are not being used in the transaction.
    Any comments or links that would answer some of these questions would be appreciated.
    1) You can use it over a cell connection. You get the same benefits that you would over a WiFi network.
    2) Most VPNs have a software program that you turn on/off to use the VPN connection. Depending on your level of tech confidence you can set up the connection on the router level to cover the whole network. It depends on if your router supports it our or an alternative firmware like DDWRT, OpenWRT, Advanced Tomato etc.
    3) It provides some security but if your device is compromised it will not make a difference. I would first advise you to update the firmware on your router. Then factory set it and then put a strong password for the WiFi connection which should be using WPA3 if available.
    4) Yes, at least slightly and the degree is dependent on the service, the location/number of servers and their reliability. It's adding a extra connection to your traffic.
    5) It does nothing. That's what a firewall is for.

Something you also have to consider is: Do you trust the VPN provider? They will be privy to all your internet traffic over their service instead of your ISP. The better services claim to protect privacy with some saying they do not log traffic and some even claim RAM only servers where logging is effectively impossible. Your ISP has been collectin this data for ever so I don't find it a big deal that another company gets it instead of Spectrum.

Also as mentioned you may have trouble logging into to some sites like Google/Gmail, Outlook, Amazon etc...They will usually flag the activity and ask you to verify that it's you.

If you want to play around with a VPN, ProtonVPN offers a free slower tier. It will give you an idea of what to expect.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 04-18-2022 at 01:45 PM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I know folks who use VPNs to, for instance, hide their internet traffic to DBR during work hours. Is this likely an effective strategy?

Asking for a friend, obviously.
    Bob Green, through his Navy connections, sees everything.
    He's making a list, checking it twice, DARPA knows when you've been naughty or nice.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I use NordVPN - I think it is the most popular and consistently at or near the top of the ratings for VPN services and is pretty cheap (~$3/mo iirc). I think it only provides minimal protection against hacking though. I mainly use it to get around local blackouts when streaming. It also allows me to watch Netflix shows not available in US.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I use NordVPN - I think it is the most popular and consistently at or near the top of the ratings for VPN services and is pretty cheap (~$3/mo iirc). I think it only provides minimal protection against hacking though. I mainly use it to get around local blackouts when streaming. It also allows me to watch Netflix shows not available in US.
    These have been helpful rec's. To answer a few questions: We have no idea if the hacks were from inside our router or data releases in credit companies or the like.
    Right now, I dont use a regional sports network where a different zip code would help except watching Atl Utd or Charlotte on ESPN when they are blocked in region. Interesting to hear about international versions of Netflix, or for watching US TV when abroad. And upgrading router firewalls.

I could see an international burner phone and a short acting credit card for travel only, might also provide similar protection.
    Has anyone used the Duke VPN (for students), or tested functionality for that service from other countries?
    For instance, https://oit.duke.edu/help/articles/kb0014056 for iOS devices, presuming the user is a student.
    Thanks for all the advice

My understanding is that a VPN is good for: (a) connecting to a potentially unsecure network in a manner that the data you send over that network is secure and (b) trying to hide your location, so that you can access content that you would be restricted from accessing if your location were visible.

Am I off base on the first point?

Assuming that VPNs do provide a secure method of connecting through unsecured networks, does anyone here use a VPN for phone/tablet access?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    My understanding is that a VPN is good for: (a) connecting to a potentially unsecure network in a manner that the data you send over that network is secure and (b) trying to hide your location, so that you can access content that you would be restricted from accessing if your location were visible.

Am I off base on the first point?

Assuming that VPNs do provide a secure method of connecting through unsecured networks, does anyone here use a VPN for phone/tablet access?
    IF you are in an actual private setting, then a VPN can be secure. I'm talking about a tunnel connected between two or more securely connected routers that intertwine your "private" network so that each satellite office (that has its own corresponding and connected router) can connect each workstation to a centralized server and printers. That way Bob can act like Jane is in his own office, shoot off a printout to her printer, even though Bob is in East Kapeepie and Jane is West Kapeepie.
    I've set those up, in states far apart, and they worked great and were really cool.

But in the overall mass marketed "VPN", that's not the case. At all. The mass marketed VPNs being discussed are for stream stealers, media pirates, and pervs. Well not FOR them, but they are the biggest users. All of which are illegal, which is why VPNs on the level being discussed are popular and money makers.

IF you are in an actual private setting, then a VPN can be secure. I'm talking about a tunnel connected between two or more securely connected routers that intertwine your "private" network so that each satellite office (that has its own corresponding and connected router) can connect each workstation to a centralized server and printers. That way Bob can act like Jane is in his own office, shoot off a printout to her printer, even though Bob is in East Kapeepie and Jane is West Kapeepie.
    I've set those up, in states far apart, and they worked great and were really cool.

But in the overall mass marketed "VPN", that's not the case. At all. The mass marketed VPNs being discussed are for stream stealers, media pirates, and pervs. Well not FOR them, but they are the biggest users. All of which are illegal, which is why VPNs on the level being discussed are popular and money makers.
    What of those using VPNs when connecting to public wifi access points (coffee shops, airports, etc, with all the potential trouble/spoofing associated with them), or in countries with repressive policies?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    What of those using VPNs when connecting to public wifi access points (coffee shops, airports, etc, with all the potential trouble/spoofing associated with them), or in countries with repressive policies?

-jk
    Tell me the difference between connecting to a VPN in that public setting vs just connecting to the available wifi or your phone.

A VPN (in this sense, and not the corporate setting I was explaining above) is still a public accessible network. In fact, there are literally hundreds of other users connected to your same server, in whatever city/country that you are pretending to be.

Just because you are in Durham while being "in Chicago" doesn't prevent someone in Brisbane who also may be "in Chicago" from accessing you.

Overall, my point is that if you want true security, don't be on the internet. If you want to be on the internet and want better security, change your secure password often. If you want to steal Netflix while sitting in Durham from "Germany", then pay for a VPN.

Tell me the difference between connecting to a VPN in that public setting vs just connecting to the available wifi or your phone.

A VPN (in this sense, and not the corporate setting I was explaining above) is still a public accessible network. In fact, there are literally hundreds of other users connected to your same server, in whatever city/country that you are pretending to be.

Just because you are in Durham while being "in Chicago" doesn't prevent someone in Brisbane who also may be "in Chicago" from accessing you.

Overall, my point is that if you want true security, don't be on the internet. If you want to be on the internet and want better security, change your secure password often. If you want to steal Netflix while sitting in Durham from "Germany", then pay for a VPN.
    It’s not the legit VPN provider or the legit public wifi I’m worried about - they’re about the same as going through your home or mobile isp. It’s the guy who sets up his own AP at the airport, pretends to be the legit wifi, and proceeds to suck all the info he can from you. People see an appropriately named network and connect. Most data will be over https and thus secure, but we hear of new exploits every day. I’m pretty careful and have some training but not everyone is or does.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    It’s not the legit VPN provider or the legit public wifi I’m worried about - they’re about the same as going through your home or mobile isp. It’s the guy who sets up his own AP at the airport, pretends to be the legit wifi, and proceeds to suck all the info he can from you. People see an appropriately named network and connect. Most data will be over https and thus secure, but we hear of new exploits every day. I’m pretty careful and have some training but not everyone is or does.

-jk
    Well again, as in the apartments scenario, the folks I'm serving are in the burbs in their homes. They are more concerned about watching Duke from Chicago instead of the "FBI Surveillance" free SSID being broadcast from the creepy van in their front yard or the "Free Cookies Here" SSID at the airport.

Well again, as in the apartments scenario, the folks I'm serving are in the burbs in their homes. They are more concerned about watching Duke from Chicago instead of the "FBI Surveillance" free SSID being broadcast from the creepy van in their front yard or the "Free Cookies Here" SSID at the airport.
    So .., does using 5g at the airport, or the apartments, avoid the "creeps"? or, does a VPN help? Same issues, right, WiFi or LTE/5G? Can't hurt?.. or useless?

^^^ THIS. I really try to limit my internet use, but alas, too much of life is here. So just try to be vigilant.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    ^^^ THIS. I really try to limit my internet use, but alas, too much of life is here. So just try to be vigilant.
    Did you mail in copy for this post? 🤔

I have unlimited data on my Verizon plan, so I don't use the publicly available wifi on my phone, especially in hotels. I haven't been in an airport this decade, although that will change in June...

AOL (I still use it for my personal email, but rarely their browser) offers me the NordVPN as a free benefit. If I sign up for it, will it allow me to watch my Yankees on the mlb.tv app when they play Baltimore, Washington or Atlanta? nc is "in" those markets so I'm blacked out. Above someone said mlb.tv doesn't work through VPNs?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com