Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Welcome to Duke Coach Jai Lucas

https://twitter.com/TravisBranham_/s...95275594956801

Seems like it wasn't going to happen, but things changed I guess.

Love this move. Jai will bring a fresh perspective and is a highly regarded recruiter and teacher. His father is an absolute legend. Great hire!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    A fresh face! Very welcome!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Very interesting move. This makes sense in that he replaces Nolan Smith as the primary recruiter on staff. I like that it will help to bring in a fresh face. This is a good move for Coach Scheyer.

Wow! Things do seem like Scheyer will run the program his own way. Great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Love this move. Jai will bring a fresh perspective and is a highly regarded recruiter and teacher. His father is an absolute legend. Great hire!!
    Wow, huge get for Scheyer. Lucas is known for his recruiting prowess. Welcome Coach Lucas!!!

Now everyone flood Rupp Rafters to see their reactions!!! LOL

BBN must be going nuclear. All the more reason to love this hire.

While all known to my fellow geezers, perhaps it's worth reiterating a few facts about Jai Lucas' dad:

He's from Durham! I presume that Duke recruited him, but obviously he didn't come. I'm sure he had his reasons.
    He was the #1 pick in his NBA draft class, after an outstanding career at Maryland playing for Duke grad Lefty Driesell.
    He was a fantastic tennis player, winning the ACC championship twice.
    He never had much of pro tennis career, but he did play World Team Tennis, a pro league of the 70s, where his partner was Renee Richards, who was the Lia Thomas of her day.

This is almost as good as Trevor returning, oh wait. This move should really help our new head coach. Stole him from Cal and that's good too.

GoDuke!

Jai’s father John II is one of the most respected basketball minds in Houston and is typically very well connected with up and coming prospects in the area. Exciting to see Duke strengthen its hold on that hotbed of talent. Also thrilled that we will have a Jeff Capel / Nolan Smith-esque recruiter on the staff. Go Duke!

I wonder what his motivation was to leave...Cal could and probably would have matched any offer financially...great to see some outside blood on the staff...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Just looked up Coach Lucas...and two headlines appear at the top. The first from UK's SBN site, and the second is our own DBR, both giving the spin on him "spurning" Duke last week. The DBR article simply linked to the Sea of Blue posting, so here's that one.

Jai Lucas turns down Duke to stick with Kentucky
    Jai Lucas is tabbed as one a “rising star” in the coaching world.
    https://www.aseaofblue.com/2022/4/23...ildcats-rumors

Poor 'lil Wildcats.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    While all known to my fellow geezers, perhaps it's worth reiterating a few facts about Jai Lucas' dad:

He's from Durham! I presume that Duke recruited him, but obviously he didn't come. I'm sure he had his reasons.
    He was the #1 pick in his NBA draft class, after an outstanding career at Maryland playing for Duke grad Lefty Driesell.
    He never had much of pro tennis career, but he did play World Team Tennis, a pro league of the 70s, where his partner was Renee Richards, who was the Lia Thomas of her day.
    I remember seeing John Lucas playing tennis on the Duke tennis courts, back in the mid to late 70's. He was a VERY good tennis player.

OK, now here's a funny thought.

Lucas was one of the lead guys on bringing Shaedon Sharpe to Kentucky. It's not completely out of the question that Sharpe will be ineligible for the NBA Draft. Could Lucas bring Sharpe with him?

Just to watch Lexington squirm, I would be interested in seeing how that played out.

Ironic he’s replacing Nolan considering they were comparably-ranked players in the same high school class and Duke landed one while (at least) flirting with the other.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post

I played doubles at Durham High against his Dad in a match against Hillside High. John was always playing tennis at the Duke tennis courts sometimes against Professor Bonk.

Wow. Shocking. UK must be flipping out.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Welcome Jai!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Wow. Shocking. UK must be flipping out.
    They are and it’s cheap amusement.