Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Heavy handed moderating?

A moderator shut down the vehicle fatality thread because “it is a public policy discussion.” He noted it was a temporary shutdown and would be discussed with other moderators. But no word followed and it remains closed. I was surprised at the action because while the thread included some arguments about the morality of driving SUVs and whether European fatality stats should be compared to US numbers the discussion in general was about whether fatalities are really increasing or decreasing, what factors affect fatality rates ranging from road design to new auto safety features and so on. In any case I thought shutting down the thread was an overreaction and I messaged the moderator asking him to reconsider. Crickets… I got no reply, so I am resorting to this. Is there any way the thread could be re-opened? Thanks!

In general, I think this site is very well moderated. The moderators aren't really heavy handed at all, in my opinion. I'm no expert on moderating, but I did serve as a moderator for another forum for about 4 or 5 years, so I do have some experience. It is a very difficult job. It's kind of like refereeing, really, in that no matter how well you do it, somebody will think you either did too much or didn't do enough.

I agree with you that, in this case, the thread could probably be re-opened. I didn't see a lot in it that was veering too far into the political lane, if you will (see what I did there?).
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    In general, I think this site is very well moderated. The moderators aren't really heavy handed at all, in my opinion. I'm no expert on moderating, but I did serve as a moderator for another forum for about 4 or 5 years, so I do have some experience. It is a very difficult job. It's kind of like refereeing, really, in that no matter how well you do it, somebody will think you either did too much or didn't do enough.

I agree with you that, in this case, the thread could probably be re-opened. I didn't see a lot in it that was veering too far into the political lane, if you will (see what I did there?).
    The premise of that thread was that about how laws should be changed to promote the views of the OP.
    Some of the subsequent technical discussions were non-political, but the basic initial premise was entirely related to public policy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    The premise of that thread was that about how laws should be changed to promote the views of the OP.
    Some of the subsequent technical discussions were non-political, but the basic initial premise was entirely related to public policy.
    I agree with this. I think the mods on this site do a fantastic job. The thread in question was a public policy thread.

I think an interesting discussion could happen regarding vehicle safety and accident/injury prevention while staying away from public policy. I wasted 15 minutes last year watching a youtube video that was all about the history and design of traffic barriers and how they have helped reduce traffic deaths. Absolutely fascinating.

I enjoy the heavy handed moderation and delight when I get an infraction. I’m a total Roman Roy though.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I enjoy the heavy handed moderation and delight when I get an infraction. I’m a total Roman Roy though.
    I can't think of a reply that wouldn't earn me a vacation.

I enjoy the heavy handed moderation and delight when I get an infraction.
    Do you even need a safe word for that?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Do you even need a safe word for that?
    Krzyzewski! Krzyzewski!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I can't think of a reply that wouldn't earn me a vacation.
    Think of one that earns him a vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I agree with this. I think the mods on this site do a fantastic job. The thread in question was a public policy thread.

I think an interesting discussion could happen regarding vehicle safety and accident/injury prevention while staying away from public policy. I wasted 15 minutes last year watching a youtube video that was all about the history and design of traffic barriers and how they have helped reduce traffic deaths. Absolutely fascinating.
    I may have seen the same video years ago in a California traffic school I was forced to attend because of a speeding ticket. It included great footage from traffic cameras showing the real world effects of good and bad highway design, from traffic barriers to signage. The signage one showed cars on an interstate careening all over the place as they came upon a poorly worded highway sign that required an instant Go left or go right? decision. The the wrong choice meant having to drive for dozens of miles in the wrong direction. Cars would slow, steer right, then back left, then jerk back right wildlly. Some would follow this by just giving up and screeching to a stop at the tip of the split point. Some slid over the embankment due to indecision. And some ended up backing up on the busy interstate after they realized they had chosen the wrong fork! They then show a similar decision point in Houston where there had been a number of fatalities. So they put up energy absorption barrels and showed footage of cars slamming into them at 50 miles an hour, then the car sheepishly backing up and resuming their trip. Best use of traffic school time ever.

Also agree that mods generally do a good job. I was just questioning this decision. The thread in question was more light than fire IMO. I was enjoying the thread and think when it is a close call the default should be to allow the discussion. This one was just closed without even a warning. I also have my doubts that there was a discussion with other mods as promised - if there was then there should be a post sharing such info. Also the mod still hasn't responded to my private message.

It's obviously no biggie. Just stating my viewpoint.

I enjoy the heavy handed moderation and delight when I get an infraction.
    I will say that every infraction I've gotten on this site, I've more than earned. Sometimes I'm like my kids:

Parent: "If you do that, I'm going to have to take away your toys"
    Kid: "Ok".
    Kid does the thing.
    Parent: "There go your toys, I hope your happy"
    Kid: "Worth it!"

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I hope your happy
    This grammar deserves an infraction.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This grammar deserves an infraction.
    If I got an infraction for my every spelling mistake, I would never have made it a week. LOL! A day! Probably not even past my first post.

I feel like I'm held to a lower standard and all because of me being an NC State fan. We aren't so good at the liberal arts.

Heavy handed moderating?
    This thread would not be allowed if this site had “Heavy handed moderating”.

I thought the rule was basically "things that are hot button issues between the two current major political parties in the US".

The Ukraine thread is stuffed full of public policy discussion, but we nearly all generally agree on the broad idea that Russia is acting unethically so it's OK to remain open.

Many complaints about recent or current political figures have absolutely nothing to do with public policy by any reasonable definition of that term, but we're still not supposed to discuss.

(this is not a complaint, btw)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Heavy handed moderating?
    This thread would not be allowed if this site had “Heavy handed moderating”.
    I dunno — anyone see Skydog since his original post?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I dunno — anyone see Skydog since his original post?
    Yes, he is in my trunk. But, that has nothing to do with this thread. I’m merely doing a couple of DBR friends a favor.

It’s amazing how easily these matters get blown out of proportion.

Yes, he is in my trunk. But, that has nothing to do with this thread. I’m merely doing a couple of DBR friends a favor.

“Now I've been lookin' for a job, but it's hard to find
    There's winners and there's losers
    And I'm south of the line
    Well, I'm tired of gettin' caught out on the losin' end
    But I talked to a man last night, gonna do a little favor for him

“Well, everything dies, baby, that's a fact
    But maybe everything that dies some day comes back
    Put your makeup on, fix your hair up pretty
    And meet me tonight in Atlantic City.”

The trunk of the 2008 Impala that you are selling?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    The trunk of the 2008 Impala that you are selling?
    Would he be safer if he was in the back of a SUV?