Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Car Advice

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    not sure how that works. My agent from decades ago (no agent recently) always told me you insure the driver not the car (except for collision of course)..
    Not my area either .
    I know gieco is comming out .so insurance is there .
    The back door is done .the bottom rail is done add back quarter panel and back axel .
    It's a sorento 2020 . I'm not sure the value .but the damage is heavy .

not sure how that works. My agent from decades ago (no agent recently) always told me you insure the driver not the car (except for collision of course)..
    There is a thing called permissive use where the owner of the car is essentially extending their coverage to the person driving in the act of giving them the car to use. Another issue that may crop up here is a clause eliminating coverage if the vehicle is being used during the commission of a crime. Lots to unpack in this scenario. The downside here besides any injuries/soreness, the loss of the vehicle and trying to replace it, is the policy is likely a minimum limits policy, so coordinating coverage with your own carrier(Uninsured/underinsured).

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    There is a thing called permissive use where the owner of the car is essentially extending their coverage to the person driving in the act of giving them the car to use. Another issue that may crop up here is a clause eliminating coverage if the vehicle is being used during the commission of a crime. Lots to unpack in this scenario. The downside here besides any injuries/soreness, the loss of the vehicle and trying to replace it, is the policy is likely a minimum limits policy, so coordinating coverage with your own carrier(Uninsured/underinsured).
    I ran into that when I got hit head on by a dui thanks giving 1999 or 2000 I forget
    Minimum was 15 000 .
    Which is ridiculously low in my opinion.
    But that was 20 yrs ago hopefully it's changed .
    I had to go to my insurance to cover the rest .
    Today the Minimum should be 100 k in my opinion .

Well on the flipside of this crazy car market, I sold my 15-year old Mazda sedan to CarMax today. I bought it for $16.5k in 2007, sold for $5k. Low miles though (60,000ish). More than I thought I would get and I'd imagine three years ago I would have gotten less. Maybe could have gotten a tad more from private market but not worth the hassle. CarMax definitely provides the "frictionless" experience. Although I upgraded my vehicle considerably so I didn't end up on the good side of the market craziness since I was a buyer too, but at least felt good about the numbers today.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I ran into that when I got hit head on by a dui thanks giving 1999 or 2000 I forget
    Minimum was 15 000 .
    Which is ridiculously low in my opinion.
    But that was 20 yrs ago hopefully it's changed .
    I had to go to my insurance to cover the rest .
    Today the Minimum should be 100 k in my opinion .
    Looks like they've up it to 25k for property damage. Not to get too far into PPB ground, but one of the goals for any risk pooling scheme is to maximize participation. Not too long ago, Wisconsin increased their minimum limits, only to see a sharp increase in the uninsured. A year or two later, they reversed the move. Affordability is the main reason not too increase the limits too far.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Looks like they've up it to 25k for property damage. Not to get too far into PPB ground, but one of the goals for any risk pooling scheme is to maximize participation. Not too long ago, Wisconsin increased their minimum limits, only to see a sharp increase in the uninsured. A year or two later, they reversed the move. Affordability is the main reason not too increase the limits too far.
    Sort of a double edged sword .

bump the thread time..check this one out

Not looking for advice, but I feel compelled to comment on a picture I just saw in the NY Times Book Review. As a kid growing up in the fifties, I used to know ALL the car models even though they changed nearly every year. Gargantuan rear fins and massive front bumpers abounded...it seemed like many models were just trying to out-spaceship the competition. So, how did I miss this:https://www.favcars.com/mercury-turn...ers-353714.htm

Tell me that isn't just marvelous...very fitting for the fifties. Can't believe I have no recollection of this model...they probably didn't sell very many...

Googlage reveals they only sold about 17,000 so no wonder I don't recall having seen one...the car was intended to commemorate the Interstate Highway System (yo, Ike).

Not looking for advice, but I feel compelled to comment on a picture I just saw in the NY Times Book Review. As a kid growing up in the fifties, I used to know ALL the car models even though they changed nearly every year. Gargantuan rear fins and massive front bumpers abounded...it seemed like many models were just trying to out-spaceship the competition. So, how did I miss this:https://www.favcars.com/mercury-turn...ers-353714.htm

Tell me that isn't just marvelous...very fitting for the fifties. Can't believe I have no recollection of this model...they probably didn't sell very many...

Googlage reveals they only sold about 17,000 so no wonder I don't recall having seen one...the car was intended to commemorate the Interstate Highway System (yo, Ike).
    Actually, what you (we) are really seeing is the "Continental Kit," which is the large rear bumper and the external spare tire. It was an extra cost option, and of course dealers loved it as it increased their profit margin. The car in the photo is a more prosaic Mercury that was sold in much greater quantities, although as a ragtop it was still pretty special. Point being that it was built on the same assembly line as the other cars, it was just at the step where they added the rear bumper that the "kit" was bolted on.

Most cars in the 50s and even early 60s offered this option. I'm with budwom on having been car crazy during these years. In my area, a favorite after church activity in the fall was to visit the new car dealer show rooms to see the latest models.

All I can say is that you had to be there to fully grasp the cultural significance of America and the post war car boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    Actually, what you (we) are really seeing is the "Continental Kit," which is the large rear bumper and the external spare tire. It was an extra cost option, and of course dealers loved it as it increased their profit margin. The car in the photo is a more prosaic Mercury that was sold in much greater quantities, although as a ragtop it was still pretty special. Point being that it was built on the same assembly line as the other cars, it was just at the step where they added the rear bumper that the "kit" was bolted on.

Most cars in the 50s and even early 60s offered this option. I'm with budwom on having been car crazy during these years. In my area, a favorite after church activity in the fall was to visit the new car dealer show rooms to see the latest models.

All I can say is that you had to be there to fully grasp the cultural significance of America and the post war car boom.
    Until I saw this photo I thought the late fifties Cadillacs were the most outrageous ever, with a crazy tail fins and protruding tail lights, but I really want a Turnpike Cruiser...I see what you're saying about the Continental Kit, but there really was a discrete offering called the Turnpike Cruiser, and there was a lot more to it than just the Continental Tire Kit:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Turnpike_Cruiser

I want one. (maybe)

Okay car folks - I have a brand new 2012 Buick Enclave. Love it. Super comfy. But my radio reception is super weak. AM comes in a little bit. FM I pick up two or three stations in town (should be several dozen) and even the XM cuts in and out.

There's nothing OBVIOUSLY wrong with the antenna itself. The audio works great when stations come in or I run my phone audio.

Thoughts? Ideas? I'd rather not run it to the dealership for an audio overhaul if it is something simple, and my mechanic is more of an "oil change and brakes" guy than stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I have a brand new 2012 Buick Enclave.
    I think you were snookered!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I figured someone would catch that.

I figured someone would catch that.
    But I guess it makes you an early adopter of Sirius/XM!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

But I guess it makes you an early adopter of Sirius/XM!
    Well. I would be if it came in stronger.

Okay car folks - I have a brand new 2012 Buick Enclave. Love it. Super comfy. But my radio reception is super weak. AM comes in a little bit. FM I pick up two or three stations in town (should be several dozen) and even the XM cuts in and out.

There's nothing OBVIOUSLY wrong with the antenna itself. The audio works great when stations come in or I run my phone audio.

Thoughts? Ideas? I'd rather not run it to the dealership for an audio overhaul if it is something simple, and my mechanic is more of an "oil change and brakes" guy than stereo.
    I'm hoping you haven't run into the same thing I learned about that model when I sold the one my mother-in-law had owned. It was a great car although I don't prefer vehicles that are quite that large - except when I drove it cross country from Arizona to Ohio when she moved back here.
    Anyhow, the car did have what sounded like a very similar problem with the radio. I replaced the roof antenna since that's a relatively easy thing to do. You can buy new ones on Amazon for about $20. That didn't help at all. I did a little Googling and learned that you have to buy the EXACT correct replacement or reception can still be poor. There's an impedance match or some other thing they're sensitive to. So I figured I'd take it to the dealer and see if they had any advice.

About five seconds after I said the words "radio reception", the service manager began repeatedly apologizing. He was giving me his advance apology speech because he already knew I would not like his answer.

Turns out it's a relatively common problem, and to diagnose whether the problem is coming from a) wrong antenna, b) roof mount problem, or c) Sirius/antenna system issue, they have to run a diagnostic for about $175. That's the good news.

The bad news is that if the problem is with the general antenna system which is built into the interior of the roof - they have to pretty much rip out the interior roofing. And then you're talking about $700. Almost all for the labor. A wonderful design.

I really hope you end up with a cheaper solution.

Well. I would be if it came in stronger.
    I think the 2012 version only has 3 satellites. If you were at the equator the reception would better.

Trust me. I took a physics class once. For a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    I'm hoping you haven't run into the same thing I learned about that model when I sold the one my mother-in-law had owned. It was a great car although I don't prefer vehicles that are quite that large - except when I drove it cross country from Arizona to Ohio when she moved back here.
    Anyhow, the car did have what sounded like a very similar problem with the radio. I replaced the roof antenna since that's a relatively easy thing to do. You can buy new ones on Amazon for about $20. That didn't help at all. I did a little Googling and learned that you have to buy the EXACT correct replacement or reception can still be poor. There's an impedance match or some other thing they're sensitive to. So I figured I'd take it to the dealer and see if they had any advice.

About five seconds after I said the words "radio reception", the service manager began repeatedly apologizing. He was giving me his advance apology speech because he already knew I would not like his answer.

Turns out it's a relatively common problem, and to diagnose whether the problem is coming from a) wrong antenna, b) roof mount problem, or c) Sirius/antenna system issue, they have to run a diagnostic for about $175. That's the good news.

The bad news is that if the problem is with the general antenna system which is built into the interior of the roof - they have to pretty much rip out the interior roofing. And then you're talking about $700. Almost all for the labor. A wonderful design.

I really hope you end up with a cheaper solution.
    Well, the fact is that the radio isn't THAT much of an issue these days, with the ability to run my Bluetooth through the sound system. I'm definitely disinclined to spend $200 on a diagnostic followed by another $700.

I was already wondering if replacing the antenna might help - that's a cheap fix I could do myself in minutes. But I also had considered it might be a wiring issue that would be difficult to track down.

Thanks for the heads up and your experience. Not the answer I was hoping for, but sounds fairly likely.

Well, the fact is that the radio isn't THAT much of an issue these days, with the ability to run my Bluetooth through the sound system. I'm definitely disinclined to spend $200 on a diagnostic followed by another $700.

I was already wondering if replacing the antenna might help - that's a cheap fix I could do myself in minutes. But I also had considered it might be a wiring issue that would be difficult to track down.

Thanks for the heads up and your experience. Not the answer I was hoping for, but sounds fairly likely.
    When the XM cuts out does it say No Signal? Also with electrical gremlins, the first thing I do is unhook the battery for a couple of hours. That fixes a surprising number of things.

Oops, it just hit me. So what color is it?
    I did not get the radio repaired before I sold it. The car was in great shape with low mileage. Really was driven by a little old 85-year old lady.

Just wondering if maybe I've driven your car before

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    When the XM cuts out does it say No Signal? Also with electrical gremlins, the first thing I do is unhook the battery for a couple of hours. That fixes a surprising number of things.
    Yes it says "searching for XM signal" or something to that effect.

It seems to be in weak signal spots (where my cell signal is also week) but seems to cut out WAY too often for XM. And the FM and AM signals are barely there. I can get a few scratchy stations.