Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 167

Thread: Car Advice

  1. #21
    So, when is the OP going to reveal what they are going to do?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    So, when is the OP going to reveal what they are going to do?
    According to the rules, Highlander has until May 1 in the Transfer Automobile Title Portal to retain the Impala's drivability next season.

    Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed there was no username synergy in this thread. Highlander never even considered a Toyota!

    highlander.jpg

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    I was embarrassed a few years ago when I went to jump start my car and couldn't find the battery (it was in the "way back" next to the spare tire)..

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I was embarrassed a few years ago when I went to jump start my car and couldn't find the battery (it was in the "way back" next to the spare tire)..
    It could have been worse. At least you found your car.

    Iíve actually had nightmares about not being able to find my car in a large parking lot. Not sure why, since itís never happened to me (yet!).

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It could have been worse. At least you found your car.

    Iíve actually had nightmares about not being able to find my car in a large parking lot. Not sure why, since itís never happened to me (yet!).
    Did this to myself as a young driver at the Columbus airport. I forget how long it took me to finally find the car but I remember that it was cold.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It could have been worse. At least you found your car.

    Iíve actually had nightmares about not being able to find my car in a large parking lot. Not sure why, since itís never happened to me (yet!).
    Probably my favorite Seinfeld episode.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It could have been worse. At least you found your car.

    Iíve actually had nightmares about not being able to find my car in a large parking lot. Not sure why, since itís never happened to me (yet!).
    That happened to me after an ACC Tourney game in Greensboro back in the 60's. We came out and we're disoriented. It took about 45 minutes to find the car. Most embarrassing.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    That happened to me after an ACC Tourney game in Greensboro back in the 60's. We came out and we're disoriented. It took about 45 minutes to find the car. Most embarrassing.
    This sort of happened to me coming out of Shinjuku train station in Tokyo in the 70s, only I lost my hotel, not my car. I was completely disoriented, because signage is just not much help there for an occidental trying to determine basic directions. I thought I came out of the train station in the same portal that I entered in the morning, but nothing outside registered to me. I had to walk the circumference around the whole station (and it's a big station) before finding a store I recognized, and then I was jake (because I knew the streets from there). One thing that helped ... at 6'4" I could see a long way down the streets and sidewalks there, over the bobbing heads of the masses. But for a while there I was as close to panic mode as I've ever been.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I was embarrassed a few years ago when I went to jump start my car and couldn't find the battery (it was in the "way back" next to the spare tire)..
    Better weight distribution and potentially longer battery life.

  10. #30
    I've had to use the alarm function on my key fob on a couple occasions.

  11. #31
    Leaving a Royals game many cars ago, my sister bragged to the group that I never lose my car. I immediately walked up to the wrong blue Accord and tried to unlock the door - key went into the lock but didn't turn. My blue Accord was 4 spots down and 1 row over.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    One thing that helped ... at 6'4" I could see a long way down the streets and sidewalks there, over the bobbing heads of the masses. But for a while there I was as close to panic mode as I've ever been.
    I had that same advantage in Tokyo in 1985. The downside to that was when it rained, which it apparently does a lot in October and November when I was there. That would bring out a lot of eye level umbrellas.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It could have been worse. At least you found your car.

    Iíve actually had nightmares about not being able to find my car in a large parking lot. Not sure why, since itís never happened to me (yet!).
    For 25 years I worked at a place with 8000 employees and a huge parking lotÖa friend used to routinely lose his car so he would stalk around the lot holding his key fob aloft trying to get a beep out of it. I quickly learned to park at the same (distant) spot every dayÖ

  14. #34
    For safety and ability to run forever if properly maintained, itís hard to beat Volvo. I expect that my 1970 wagon is still out there so where, and Iím virtually certain that my 2001 wagon is.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    For safety and ability to run forever if properly maintained, itís hard to beat Volvo. I expect that my 1970 wagon is still out there so where, and Iím virtually certain that my 2001 wagon is.
    my 16 year old Volvo XC70 is still running strong and is good for at least another year...going in to the non-dealer Volvo specialist next week for a look see (always good to have one of them around, a guy who knows your specific brand of car without being a dealer)...no rust at this point which is rare for this environment...

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    my 16 year old Volvo XC70 is still running strong and is good for at least another year...going in to the non-dealer Volvo specialist next week for a look see (always good to have one of them around, a guy who knows your specific brand of car without being a dealer)...no rust at this point which is rare for this environment...
    My 2003 Toyota Corolla is going strong, though I already have it's replacement a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE (around 5,000 miles) with all the bells and whistles. Plan to keep driving the Corolla until it falls apart. The Camry was my father-in-laws last car purchased just before his health failed him.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    ^ yeah, I try to choose a good reliable car and then run it as long as I can...seems like the cheapest way to do things.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ yeah, I try to choose a good reliable car and then run it as long as I can...seems like the cheapest way to do things.
    It's the environmental thing to do! Without getting into the debate on the environmental friendliness of an ICE vs EV car, regardless of the type of engine, MANUFACTURING a new car is exceptionally unfriendly to the environment. Best thing to do is run an existing car as long as possible. I'm an old school conservative, in that I believe we should conserve stuff. Big supporter of Museums and Habitat Restores.

    ETA: Though, if I had been the winner of the powerball you'd better believe I'd be out getting a Tesla Plaid S, a Rivian R1T and probably a LucidAir just for fun

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    This sort of happened to me coming out of Shinjuku train station in Tokyo in the 70s, only I lost my hotel, not my car. I was completely disoriented, because signage is just not much help there for an occidental trying to determine basic directions. I thought I came out of the train station in the same portal that I entered in the morning, but nothing outside registered to me. I had to walk the circumference around the whole station (and it's a big station) before finding a store I recognized, and then I was jake (because I knew the streets from there). One thing that helped ... at 6'4" I could see a long way down the streets and sidewalks there, over the bobbing heads of the masses. But for a while there I was as close to panic mode as I've ever been.
    At 6'4" in Japan they thought you were Mt. Fuji. 😂

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    My 2003 Toyota Corolla is going strong, though I already have it's replacement a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE (around 5,000 miles) with all the bells and whistles. Plan to keep driving the Corolla until it falls apart. The Camry was my father-in-laws last car purchased just before his health failed him.
    For every day use Iím still driving a 2001 Toyota Corolla. 300,000 miles and I drove it to an audition in Boston last week. The headliner has been waving around for about two years and I finally got tired of it when half of it flew out the window like Katharine Hepburnís scarf billowing in the wind while driving down the highway in a 1920s roadster. Pulled Into a rest area in New Jersey whipped out a box cutter and performed a quick headliner-ectomy, Added a quart of 50 W 15 motor oil and blasted down the highway again. For at least two years Iíve been trying to solve a check engine light problem. Toyota has run two diagnostics and canít tell me what the problem is but they swear itís not an oxygen sensor. I was about to scrap the car for good because it couldnít pass inspection when I learned that In Durham county at least, cars 20 years and older only have to pass a mechanical inspection not an emissions test. So the check engine light no longer poses a problem.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 04-28-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Dog advice.
    By wavedukefan70s in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 06-15-2018, 10:52 AM
  2. Mac/PC Advice
    By JBDuke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM
  3. advice on a new car...
    By bjornolf in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •