Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Car Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    [
    One has to wonder if there is a similar dynamic at play in the housing market, but this isn't the thread for that.
    There was (Zillow and house flipping). You are right that it’s for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    I do enjoy the car threads that pop up from time to time. I do miss Car Talk. We are getting to the point where our '08 Sienna w 229K has thrown some expensive repairs at us the last couple years when we take the car in for the annual inspection drill. This year it was a bunch of steering and suspension work. I have a good relationship with the guys who do the heavy repair work on the Turk motor pool, I asked the manager. "if this was your car would you fix it?" "No question - I wouldn't even blink." So now, it's time to start thinking about what might be the next Turkmobile. The young Turks have fledged the nest and unlikely to return, so we have no need to haul large numbers of young people. Mrs. Turk likes the Sienna because in summertime, she can throw in her windsurfer, a bike, and a beach chair in the back, and spend the afternoon at a lake at a local state park, when her boss is gone and all business conducted (that's my excuse to hit the links until dark). We only roof rack the kayak and the windsurfer on longer trips to Delaware or NC. I think she would be happy with another Sienna, but they seem a bit bigger to me these days, and I choose to operate under the delusion we can get at least another couple of years out of the current vehicle. I am reluctant to tempt fate and see if we can get to 250K, 225, or maybe even 300K ("or maybe fate should not tempt me...") I would be interested in reading about vehicles that lend themselves to "just throw the water toys in the back, they're not going anywhere..." or any other ideas to consider if our timetable gets scrambled a bit...

P.S. Our standard words of farewell to any subset of the young Turks that we see is: "Careful, careful. ("and don't drive like your brother" - in homage to Click and Clack...)
    To be honest if they only offered 1500 or so on trade in .I'd keep it gut the seats use it like a truck.
    That joker will get to 300k .
    I had a 02 sequoia I got rid of at 400 plus . We redid front end aswell went all polyurethane bushings ect. I miss it no doubt in my mind I could still be driving it. I took the seats out at 300k
    Hauled everything in it. (Never let squid spill in your vehichle)

I do enjoy the car threads that pop up from time to time. I do miss Car Talk. We are getting to the point where our '08 Sienna w 229K has thrown some expensive repairs at us the last couple years when we take the car in for the annual inspection drill. This year it was a bunch of steering and suspension work. I have a good relationship with the guys who do the heavy repair work on the Turk motor pool, I asked the manager. "if this was your car would you fix it?" "No question - I wouldn't even blink." So now, it's time to start thinking about what might be the next Turkmobile. The young Turks have fledged the nest and unlikely to return, so we have no need to haul large numbers of young people. Mrs. Turk likes the Sienna because in summertime, she can throw in her windsurfer, a bike, and a beach chair in the back, and spend the afternoon at a lake at a local state park, when her boss is gone and all business conducted (that's my excuse to hit the links until dark). We only roof rack the kayak and the windsurfer on longer trips to Delaware or NC. I think she would be happy with another Sienna, but they seem a bit bigger to me these days, and I choose to operate under the delusion we can get at least another couple of years out of the current vehicle. I am reluctant to tempt fate and see if we can get to 250K, 225, or maybe even 300K ("or maybe fate should not tempt me...") I would be interested in reading about vehicles that lend themselves to "just throw the water toys in the back, they're not going anywhere..." or any other ideas to consider if our timetable gets scrambled a bit...

P.S. Our standard words of farewell to any subset of the young Turks that we see is: "Careful, careful. ("and don't drive like your brother" - in homage to Click and Clack...)
    We don't have to worry about annual inspections in SC. Don't got nunn.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Few 100 on a flight might save you thousands.
    I agree completely here. Columbus OH car prices are thousands more than other areas. Cargurus is a great resource if you know what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Wife asked me what are you going to do
    If they steal your catalytic converters. Tundras are prime targets .
    I'm like I'm not paying 7 k for replacements .it will be straight piped and 02 sensors bypassed .we don't have inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    That's a good call. If/when Mrs. Turk and I do the snowbird thing, that might be something to keep in mind. I don't think I'll trade the old one in. I like the idea of taking all the seats out, and use it for hauling stuff.

Pet peeve of the day: every time I hit a Toyota dealer website, an annoying chat bot pops up in the corner. "Can I help you". "duh no, unless you can give me the login to usedsiennas.com - I ain't buying a new one, so you can just sod off..."

I'll take a look at cargurus, there's a couple Carmaxes nearby, which is the leader in the clubhouse right now. I'll also look in other parts of the Commonwealth - see if there are price variations that work in our favor. This is not very enjoyable, and I'm ready to flip the switch to "Grumpy Old Turk" mode (nobody wants that)
    "Quality is not an option!"

That's a good call. If/when Mrs. Turk and I do the snowbird thing, that might be something to keep in mind. I don't think I'll trade the old one in. I like the idea of taking all the seats out, and use it for hauling stuff.

Pet peeve of the day: every time I hit a Toyota dealer website, an annoying chat bot pops up in the corner. "Can I help you". "duh no, unless you can give me the login to usedsiennas.com - I ain't buying a new one, so you can just sod off..."

I'll take a look at cargurus, there's a couple Carmaxes nearby, which is the leader in the clubhouse right now. I'll also look in other parts of the Commonwealth - see if there are price variations that work in our favor. This is not very enjoyable, and I'm ready to flip the switch to "Grumpy Old Turk" mode (nobody wants that)
    Just make sure you do your due diligence (Carfax, etc) if you deal with those guys...