Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Advice

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I was going to suggest checking the spare tire's pressure, as there is a sensor in there, too. Glad you did!
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I'll second (third?) this recommended check. Happened to me, too. (Usually in early November or so, when the temperature goes down.)
    I was very surprised that the tire pressure monitor also checks the spare tire. Amazing, to me. So when I check the tire pressure now, I always check the spare too.

Still nothing from the OP...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Still nothing from the OP...
    He/she is out buying a car or truck or SUV. No time to post.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I was very surprised that the tire pressure monitor also checks the spare tire. Amazing, to me. So when I check the tire pressure now, I always check the spare too.
    As was I. But given that I don't have a spare tire—well, not one in the trunk, anyway—that doesn't explain my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    As was I. But given that I don't have a spare tire—well, not one in the trunk, anyway—that doesn't explain my situation.
    Well no wonder it's registering low!

-jk

The TPMS requirement for all cars, which I think originated from some '90s class action suit is a scourge.

Pro tip: once the first tire's battery dies, buy four/five replacements and get them all installed in one visit to the tire shop.

Checking the pressure on the spare is a pain because you can't access the valve (on my car) without fully removing it from the trunk.

Also, in my state, while my car must have these stilly sensors, I can sail through the annual state inspection even if they are non-functional.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Pro tip: once the first tire's battery dies.
    Tires have batteries?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    The TPMS requirement for all cars, which I think originated from some '90s class action suit is a scourge.

Pro tip: once the first tire's battery dies, buy four/five replacements and get them all installed in one visit to the tire shop.

Checking the pressure on the spare is a pain because you can't access the valve (on my car) without fully removing it from the trunk.

Also, in my state, while my car must have these stilly sensors, I can sail through the annual state inspection even if they are non-functional.
    I"ve found that spares have limited use these days since the ailing tire is often impossible to extricate...lug nuts screwed on super tight, and cars these days come with crappy jacks and very short wrenches that give little leverage. Bring on the AAA man!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I"ve found that spares have limited use these days since the ailing tire is often impossible to extricate...lug nuts screwed on super tight, and cars these days come with crappy jacks and very short wrenches that give little leverage. Bring on the AAA man!
    If you don’t mind waiting about 3 hours, at least in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    If you don’t mind waiting about 3 hours, at least in my area.
    ah, we don't have any people...changing a tire used to be easy, not any more I find...

Tires have batteries?
    Sounds like the valves do! And batteries do, uh, tire out.

I'll see myself out.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Sounds like the valves do! And batteries do, uh, tire out.

I'll see myself out.
    You're retiring then?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    You're retiring then?

-jk
    Tread lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It could have been worse. At least you found your car.

I’ve actually had nightmares about not being able to find my car in a large parking lot. Not sure why, since it’s never happened to me (yet!).
    That nightmare happened to me once after I went to the annual High Point Market. When I arrived I had parked a few blocks away, guided by Park Here signs that directed me across a grassy area filled with cars into a space hidden behind a building. But by the time I came out to find my car the Park Here signs had been removed, a fact that took me an hour of walking around to realize. And even knowing the signs had been removed didn’t help me - I still couldn’t remember where my car was parked. After 2 hours of walking I convinced a guy to drive me around a several square block area repeatedly. Still no luck. So I’m at max exhaustion and embarrassment at this point and start wondering if I’m going to have to get a hotel room & spend the night so I can start fresh on my search the next day. The sun is setting when I finally remember that I had my iPad is in the car and I can use my phone Find Me app (duh!). But now my phone desperately needs a charge so I go into a store and get permission to use an employee’s personal charger. Once I have adequate juice I walk to where the location beacon says my car is but I still don’t see my car! It is almost completely dark by now. So I circle the area many times before I finally see the small grassy path leading to an area well hidden behind a building. (It was amazing how different the location looked once the rows of cars and signs were gone.) So after a very stressful and embarrassing 3 hr search I almost cried with relief when I finally saw my car. Then me and my chagrin gratefully drove home.

And yes, I did have a few lost car nightmares after that.

Tires have batteries?
    Not much different than an electric vehicle, when you think about it...is a battery having tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    That nightmare happened to me once after I went to the annual High Point Market. When I arrived I had parked a few blocks away, guided by Park Here signs that directed me across a grassy area filled with cars into a space hidden behind a building. But by the time I came out to find my car the Park Here signs had been removed, a fact that took me an hour of walking around to realize. And even knowing the signs had been removed didn’t help me - I still couldn’t remember where my car was parked. After 2 hours of walking I convinced a guy to drive me around a several square block area repeatedly. Still no luck. So I’m at max exhaustion and embarrassment at this point and start wondering if I’m going to have to get a hotel room & spend the night so I can start fresh on my search the next day. The sun is setting when I finally remember that I had my iPad is in the car and I can use my phone Find Me app (duh!). But now my phone desperately needs a charge so I go into a store and get permission to use an employee’s personal charger. Once I have adequate juice I walk to where the location beacon says my car is but I still don’t see my car! It is almost completely dark by now. So I circle the area many times before I finally see the small grassy path leading to an area well hidden behind a building. (It was amazing how different the location looked once the rows of cars and signs were gone.) So after a very stressful and embarrassing 3 hr search I almost cried with relief when I finally saw my car. Then me and my chagrin gratefully drove home.

And yes, I did have a few lost car nightmares after that.
    Great story. My father told me a story once from the '50s, back when cars had physical keys, and the trunk key was different from the ignition key. He and his buddy were out on a trip one time, and accidentally locked all their stuff into the trunk of my father's car. They tried a bunch of things to try to get the trunk open, and just on a whim, his buddy tried the ignition key from his car (which was from the same manufacturer). Sure enough, it worked. So a few months later, my dad was taking a date out to a movie, and saw that his buddy was already at the theater. So with that prior experience, and knowing his buddy was also out on a date, my dad took his trunk key and used it to move his buddy's car to the other side of the parking lot! Fortunately, theater parking lots aren't that big and there weren't any intervening buildings and such, so it only took him about 20 minutes to find his car. Also fortunately, his buddy and his date both had a good sense of humor, and they realized after a while what had probably happened. Much counter-pranking ensued.

A little of topic, but it did involve a car:

While working at a downtown Atlanta hospital, I went to my car to go out to lunch. Near my car, two security guards and a maintenance man were trying to use a jimmie stick to help a lady get into her driver side door. I had my lunch at The Silver Grill (I miss that diner), and returned to the hospital parking lot. The folks were still trying to get into the car. I looked over their shoulders, walked around to the unlocked passenger door and opened it. I told them that would help them get in to unlock the driver’s door, then casually walked away.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    A little of topic, but it did involve a car:

While working at a downtown Atlanta hospital, I went to my car to go out to lunch. Near my car, two security guards and a maintenance man were trying to use a jimmie stick to help a lady get into her driver side door. I had my lunch at The Silver Grill (I miss that diner), and returned to the hospital parking lot. The folks were still trying to get into the car. I looked over their shoulders, walked around to the unlocked passenger door and opened it. I told them that would help them get in to unlock the driver’s door, then casually walked away.
    Did you say it with a $#!+ eating grin?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Did you say it with a $#!+ eating grin?
    That’s the only kind of grin I have. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Great story. My father told me a story once from the '50s, back when cars had physical keys, and the trunk key was different from the ignition key. He and his buddy were out on a trip one time, and accidentally locked all their stuff into the trunk of my father's car. They tried a bunch of things to try to get the trunk open, and just on a whim, his buddy tried the ignition key from his car (which was from the same manufacturer). Sure enough, it worked. So a few months later, my dad was taking a date out to a movie, and saw that his buddy was already at the theater. So with that prior experience, and knowing his buddy was also out on a date, my dad took his trunk key and used it to move his buddy's car to the other side of the parking lot! Fortunately, theater parking lots aren't that big and there weren't any intervening buildings and such, so it only took him about 20 minutes to find his car. Also fortunately, his buddy and his date both had a good sense of humor, and they realized after a while what had probably happened. Much counter-pranking ensued.
    friend of mine with a Plymouth Valiant left a bar back in the 1970s, got in his car and drove home. Except the next morning he noticed it wasn't his car at all, though the key had worked to start it.