View Poll Results: List the Top 5 2022 Summer Movies by US Box Office

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 6)

29 93.55%
  • The Bob's Burger Movies (May 27)

0 0%
  • Top Gun: Maverick (May 27)

18 58.06%
  • Jurassic World Dominion (June 10)

27 87.10%
  • Lightyear (June 17)

25 80.65%
  • Elvis (June 24)

1 3.23%
  • The Black Phone (June 24)

1 3.23%
  • Minions: The Rise of Gru (July 1)

14 45.16%
  • Thor: Love and Thunder (July 8)

30 96.77%
  • Paws of Fury (July 15)

1 3.23%
  • Nope (July 22)

3 9.68%
  • Bullet Train (July 29)

1 3.23%
  • DC League of Super Pets (July 29)

0 0%
  • Bodies, Bodies, Bodies (Aug 5)

0 0%
  • Other (Put your pick in Comments)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    We saw Lightyear yesterday, and I thought it was terrific...great visuals, action sequences, and tension throughout. As noted many times, I'm very much in the target audience as an animation fanatic, but I don't get what people find so mediocre about it.

Minions

Looks like it will have a big opening weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Looks like it will have a big opening weekend.
    Even if I flubbed on Top Gun, at least I picked Minions

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Not that there's many left standing, but if you didn't pick Minions, you lose.
    “ Minions: The Rise of Gru ” brought in an estimated $108.5 million in ticket sales from 4,391 screens in North America, Universal Pictures said Sunday. By the end of the Monday’s July Fourth holiday, it will likely have earned over $127.9 million.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...154245219.html

Also, while no longer surprising, it's still pretty amazing.
    In second place was “Top Gun: Maverick,” which continues to deliver six weeks in, adding another $25.5 million to its total, which has already surpassed $1 billion. The Paramount Pictures film is still playing in 3,843 locations.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Just saw Top Gun. As good as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not that there's many left standing, but if you didn't pick Minions, you lose.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...154245219.html

Also, while no longer surprising, it's still pretty amazing.
    I’m surprised at all the surprise about Top Gun.

Thor 4 checks in with $143 mil at the boxoffice. As most of us voted, it is a lock to be in the top 5.

But, it only got a B+ cinemascore, which is very low for a Marvel movie (one of only 4 Marvel films** to score less than an A-). This one may not have long legs or a lot of repeat viewing. Still, it will be shocking if it makes less than $300.

-Jason "the others: Thor 1 (B+), Eternals (B), Dr. Strange Multiverse (B+)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    "the others: Thor 1 (B+), Eternals (B), Dr. Strange Multiverse (B+)"
    Given that Spiderman NWH isn't fully Marvel, that means that the Stan Lee guys have a current three flick streak of less than prime movie making.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wait, Dark World got at least an A-?!?

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Wait, Dark World got at least an A-?!?
    This

Thor 4 checks in with $143 mil at the boxoffice. As most of us voted, it is a lock to be in the top 5.

But, it only got a B+ cinemascore, which is very low for a Marvel movie (one of only 4 Marvel films** to score less than an A-). This one may not have long legs or a lot of repeat viewing. Still, it will be shocking if it makes less than $300.

-Jason "the others: Thor 1 (B+), Eternals (B), Dr. Strange Multiverse (B+)" Evans
    Given that Spiderman NWH isn't fully Marvel, that means that the Stan Lee guys have a current three flick streak of less than prime movie making.
    We aren't the only ones noticing the downslide. Of course it's still a moneymaking landslide, but it definitely feels like a coattails ride.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Phase 4 Has Been a Total Train Wreck
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/marvel-ci...084321922.html

It won’t happen this weekend, and maybe not next weekend… but by the time they are both done with their box office runs, I’m fairly sure Elvis will beat Lightyear.

Whew… did not see that coming.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Thor plunged 68% from its opening weekend but still made $46 mil in its second weekend. It is going to comfortably reach $300 mil in boxoffice.

Here is where things stand at the moment:

1. Top Gun: Maverick -$617.9 mil. Made another $12 mil over the weekend. The legs on this sucker are amazing and it is clear that there is a lot of repeat business. Is $700 mil possible?
    2. Dr. Strange: MOM - $411.1 mil. This one is all done. It is now streaming and not really doing much in the few remaining dollar-theaters in which it is still playing.
    3. Jurassic World: Dominion - $359.0 mil. Earned just under $5 mil over the weekend so it is pretty close to done.
    4. Minions: Rise of Gru - $262.5 mi. Made $26 mil in its third weekend. Should end up over $300 mil.
    5. Thor: Love and Thunder - $233.2 mil. As mentioned, made $46 mil. I expect it to catch Minions, but it could be close. If there is a late-summer shocker (seems unlikely) then one of these two could be in trouble.
    6. Lightyear - $115.4 mil. Earned just $1.3 mil in its 5th weekend. Audiences are clearly rejecting this film. Biggest disappointment of the summer. Doubt it will reach $125 mil.
    7. Elvis - $106.2 mil. Made $7.6 mil in weekend #4 and showing really great legs/word-of-mouth business. It won't be a contender in our contest, but has a chance to earn close to $150 mil on a $85 mil budget. A big winner of summer!

The movies to keep an eye on over the next few weeks are Nope, League of Superpets, and Bullet Train. I don't see anything else that has a chance to really shake things up.

didnt want to include everything everywhere all at once?

just 1 of best movies ive ever seen

haha jurassic world voters must be feeling pretty dumb rn

Quote Originally Posted by JimSouthie View Post
    didnt want to include everything everywhere all at once?

just 1 of best movies ive ever seen
    I adored it, but it is not a summer release (came out in March) and this contest is only about the boxoffice each movie earns. EEAAO has scored just $68 mil in the U.S. and while that is an incredible number for a small, independent film released by A24, it is not a significant figure when matched up against the ticket sales of big summer blockbusters.

Like many folks, I think you may have misunderstood the mission of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JimSouthie View Post
    haha jurassic world voters must be feeling pretty dumb rn
    Why? It is clearly going to be among the 5 top films of summer in terms of boxoffice receipts. It is a "win" if you voted for that flick, even if the movie itself is borderline unwatchable.

-Jason "here is my 100-word review of EEAAO, written back when it first hit theaters: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...verything.html " Evans

I adored it, but it is not a summer release (came out in March) and this contest is only about the boxoffice each movie earns. EEAAO has scored just $68 mil in the U.S. and while that is an incredible number for a small, independent film released by A24, it is not a significant figure when matched up against the ticket sales of big summer blockbusters.
    For whatever reason, it isn't uncommon for two movies wrapped around very similar themes to be released at the same time, and often one makes tons while the other is left in the dust. (Deep Impact vs Armageddon, prime example)

This happened with EEAAO and Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness.

If I never watch the Dr. Strange madness movie again, I won't be bummed out. I'm sure I'll be tuning into EEAAO just about every time I see it pop up on my TV.

So, I'm too lazy to look right now...

Did anyone pick Top Gun, Jurassic World, Thor, Dr. Strange, and Minions to go 5-for-5?

It ain't even August yet, but I feel pretty sure those are gonna be the winning films. May not be another film within $100 million of any of them.

So, I'm too lazy to look right now...

Did anyone pick Top Gun, Jurassic World, Thor, Dr. Strange, and Minions to go 5-for-5?

It ain't even August yet, but I feel pretty sure those are gonna be the winning films. May not be another film within $100 million of any of them.
    Bundaberdevil and YmoBeThere are smarter than the rest of us.

Bundaberdevil and YmoBeThere are smarter than the rest of us.
    I’m printing this off and framing it for my wife’s side nightstand. Much appreciated.