View Poll Results: List the Top 5 2022 Summer Movies by US Box Office

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 6)

29 93.55%
  • The Bob's Burger Movies (May 27)

0 0%
  • Top Gun: Maverick (May 27)

18 58.06%
  • Jurassic World Dominion (June 10)

27 87.10%
  • Lightyear (June 17)

25 80.65%
  • Elvis (June 24)

1 3.23%
  • The Black Phone (June 24)

1 3.23%
  • Minions: The Rise of Gru (July 1)

14 45.16%
  • Thor: Love and Thunder (July 8)

30 96.77%
  • Paws of Fury (July 15)

1 3.23%
  • Nope (July 22)

3 9.68%
  • Bullet Train (July 29)

1 3.23%
  • DC League of Super Pets (July 29)

0 0%
  • Bodies, Bodies, Bodies (Aug 5)

0 0%
  • Other (Put your pick in Comments)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Summer 2022 Box Office Movie Top 5 (with Poll)

Knock on wood, but for the first time in three years, we might actually have a "normal" summer movie season. With that, let's start the DBR bi-annual movie poll. From the films below, pick the Top 5 you think will end up as the Top 5 in the US domestic box office (per Box Office Mojo). To me, a few stand out, but it's a pretty strong list overall. Something will likely disappoint.

The last option is for Other. If you pick this, select the movie you think it will be in the comments. Good luck all. Poll closes May 4th. After that you can still enter but need to put your picks in the bottom (and you can't pick a movie that has already been out for day or longer). I'll post mine on May 4th. Otherwise you could use that as the picks that definitely won't win.

Dr Strange and Thor vs Super Pets

Is MCU vs DCEU even an argument these days?

I doubt I'll see any of them in a theater, but I've voted. Those pet movies are something the kids would want to see, right? I look forward to the Top Gun moving coming to a small screen in my living room...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Already 8 different movies picked, with a few big ones getting no votes (yet). Gonna be tough to win this one...

There are 4 no-brainers. You don't even need to think to pick them.

The 5th is a really tough call. I went kids movie over old nostalgia action, but I could be wrong.

But, I think the 4 no brainers are a lock... I think.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

The 5th is a really tough call. I went kids movie over old nostalgia action, but I could be wrong.

Top Gun was the #1 grossing movie of 1986 and it wasn't particularly close.

Many many 40 something dads out there eager to introduce their sons to the latest and greatest advertising from the US Navy

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

More than half these movies just sell themselves, like they don't even need marketing.
    "Hey kids, you were born nine months after your parents saw Top Gun."
    And the best movie commercial of all time,
    "Hey kids, people are going to get eaten by dinosaurs, in a movie that your parents saw nine months before you were born, starring those same actors."

But no self selling marketing could outsell a still photo of Buzz Lightyear, with the announcement
    "Hey kids, nine months before you were born, your parents went to infinity and beyond!"

I guess someone could toss out a "Hey kids, your nerdy parents read about Dr. Strange. In a comic book. Nine months before you were born."

Long story short, lots of parents gonna be taking their kids.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Top Gun was the #1 grossing movie of 1986 and it wasn't particularly close.

Many many 40 something dads out there eager to introduce their sons to the latest and greatest advertising from the US Navy
    How did Independence Day: Resurgence work out? I expect Top Gun will be better and do better, but I'm not sure it is enough to carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I guess someone could toss out a "Hey kids, nine months before you were born your parents stopped reading comic books. "
    FTFY

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    FTFY
    That's a good fix.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    How did Independence Day: Resurgence work out? I expect Top Gun will be better and do better, but I'm not sure it is enough to carry it.
    Not even comparable. The original ID4 was just a typical blockbuster disaster movie. Top Gun was a romance (Mav and Charlie), a buddy film (Mav and Goose), a tragedy (Goose), an action film, a hard hitting drama depicting tensions with Russia at the height of their cold war power, the greatest movie soundtrack in history, and it featured really awesome jets and aircraft carriers. ALL IN THE SAME MOVIE!

ID4 can not even be remotely compared to the masterpiece that was Top Gun! Mods, would a permaban on Acymetric be appropriate for suggesting such a thing?

JE - my problem is that I see more than 5 no brainers - Top Gun, Dr Strange, Thor, Gru, Lightyear and Pets. And that’s not counting Nope and Bullet Train (which looks great) or Jurassic ir the other kids movie. Or a sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    JE - my problem is that I see more than 5 no brainers - Top Gun, Dr Strange, Thor, Gru, Lightyear and Pets. And that’s not counting Nope and Bullet Train (which looks great) or Jurassic ir the other kids movie. Or a sleeper.
    And you left off Dominion, which is also in there, as in total lock.

This is a very hard year.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    And you left off Dominion, which is also in there, as in total lock.

This is a very hard year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    or Jurassic ir the other kids movie.
    Oops, I just noticed you tail ended you comment with "Jurrasic".
    Actually surprised you are selling that one so short, since in my mind even with all the "kids" movies and Marvel out there, there isn't a snowball's chance that a series that has taken 30 years to complete, and is bringing back all of the living actors, and literally paved the way for every summer blockbuster that you have seen ever since,
    Isn't Number One.

(It will be)

So, are X-Men movies totally over? They were the jam, pre-Marvel.

Ugh, Box Office Mojo used to be so much easier before it got bought by IMDB.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    So, are X-Men movies totally over? They were the jam, pre-Marvel.
    Marvel has had the rights for a few years now. I think a Fantastic 4 film is in the works. From what IÂ’ve read, the integration of X-Men into the MCU will be slow but I trust Marvel Studios to knock it out of the park.

Minions vs. Top Gun for the fifth spot was a tough one for me. Just a straight guess in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Marvel has had the rights for a few years now. I think a Fantastic 4 film is in the works. From what I’ve read, the integration of X-Men into the MCU will be slow but I trust Marvel Studios to knock it out of the park.
    Seems fair. I mean, the X-Men movies with Hugh Jackman etc were really a revolution in comic book movies. Then, they launched the next generation (McAvoy) and the first one was okay. But they fell off a cliff. I don't think I watched the Phoenix movie or Apocalypse all the way through.

And Logan was just a stunning movie.

I'd love to see them get their traction again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Seems fair. I mean, the X-Men movies with Hugh Jackman etc were really a revolution in comic book movies. Then, they launched the next generation (McAvoy) and the first one was okay. But they fell off a cliff. I don't think I watched the Phoenix movie or Apocalypse all the way through.

And Logan was just a stunning movie.

I'd love to see them get their traction again.
    Yeah for sure. They have had some good movies in there but really the only characters they nailed were Wolverine, Magneto, and X. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Yeah for sure. They have had some good movies in there but really the only characters they nailed were Wolverine, Magneto, and X. IMO.
    Do you mean the first or second generation of movies? Because I thought the first generation was solid all the way through. Well, except for Halle Berry, though I would argue Alan Cumming more than made up for her.

Second generation - with Wolverine as the holdover (smart move) I thought Beast was good. McAvoy and Fassbender were very good. Quicksilver was solid as well.

Anyways, to me it was the writing that was SO strong in the good movies, and clearly an afterthought in the weak ones. They wasted some good characters and very good actors.