Keenan Worthington 6-9 220
    Joey Baker 6-6 205
    Dariq Whitehead 6-6 190
    Jaden Schutt 6-5 180
    Jaylen Blakes 6-3 190
    Jeremy Roach 6-1 172

I expect our top scorers to be one of Kyle, Derek, or Mark,
    Then Dariq and Jeremy.

There is a high chance we have 4 high scoring players, and perhaps 5 if one of Derek or Jaden absolutely blows up.

The ideal starting lineup for us to end the season would be Derek, Kyle, Mark, Dariq, and Jeremy. Will probably have to resort to zone.

We should have a 7 man lineup (Joey, and Jaden off the bench), perhaps 8 depending on how improved Blake is.

If Derek, Kyle, Mark, and Dariq are all Paolo level studs then I did say we're more than fine. It's not impossible for that to happen, by all accounts, except for ESPN, the four are all top 10 players in HS.
    Last edited by proelitedota; 04-24-2022 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Derek Lively 7-1 220
    Christian Reeves 7-0
    Kyle Flipowski 6-11 230
    Mark Mitchel 6-9 220
    Joey Baker 6-6 205
    Dariq Whitehead 6-6 190
    Jaden Schutt 6-5 180
    Jaylen Blakes 6-3 190
    Jeremy Roach 6-1 172

Then Dariq and Jeremy.

There is a high chance we have 4 high scoring players, and perhaps 5 if one of Derek or Jaden absolutely blows up.

The ideal starting lineup for us would be Derek, Kyle, Mark, Dariq, and Jeremy. Will probably have to resort to zone.
    I'm happy to say I don't have a clue, but somehow expect Dariq will outscore Derek.

Derek Lively 7-1 220
    Christian Reeves 7-0
    Kyle Flipowski 6-11 230
    Mark Mitchel 6-9 220
    Joey Baker 6-6 205
    Dariq Whitehead 6-6 190
    Jaden Schutt 6-5 180
    Jaylen Blakes 6-3 190
    Jeremy Roach 6-1 172

Then Dariq and Jeremy.

The ideal starting lineup for us to end the season would be Derek, Kyle, Mark, Dariq, and Jeremy. Will probably have to resort to zone.

We should have a 7 man lineup (Joey, and Jaden off the bench), perhaps 8 depending on how improved Blake is.

If Derek, Kyle, Mark, and Dariq are all Paolo level studs then I did say we're more than fine. It's not impossible for that to happen, by all accounts, except for ESPN, the four are all top 10 players in HS.
    Well, we can certainly hope they are all Paolo level studs, but that seems pretty unlikely--and even Paolo, who came in to college described as already having NBA-level moves, took a while to really show his best on the court. But yes, I agree that if they do, we are more than fine.

Derek Lively 7-1 220
    Christian Reeves 7-0
    Kyle Flipowski 6-11 230
    Mark Mitchel 6-9 220
    Joey Baker 6-6 205
    Dariq Whitehead 6-6 190
    Jaden Schutt 6-5 180
    Jaylen Blakes 6-3 190
    Jeremy Roach 6-1 172

Then Dariq and Jeremy.

Wow- Paolo level? Not likely. Paolo is Paolo because he was 6’ 10” and can handle. This is a good group but they are not at that level. We should temper expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Wow- Paolo level? Not likely. Paolo is Paolo because he was 6’ 10” and can handle. This is a good group but they are not at that level. We should temper expectations.
    yeah, this group is not of that level, period. Still hope for a solid year, maybe we portalize a guy or two.

Derek Lively 7-1 220
    Christian Reeves 7-0
    Kyle Flipowski 6-11 230
    Mark Mitchel 6-9 220
    Joey Baker 6-6 205
    Dariq Whitehead 6-6 190
    Jaden Schutt 6-5 180
    Jaylen Blakes 6-3 190
    Jeremy Roach 6-1 172

Then Dariq and Jeremy.

Literally everyone thinks transfers are coming so this seems pretty premature.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, this group is not of that level, period. Still hope for a solid year, maybe we portalize a guy or two.
    2021 class was bad in comparison to previous years, as lots of HS upperclassmen missed extended time due to Covid. 2022 looks to be better as they got to play in their crucial senior years.
    Last edited by proelitedota; 04-24-2022 at 03:17 PM.

2021 class was bad in comparison to previous years, as lots of HS upperclassmen missed extended time due to Covid. 2022 looks to be better as they got to play in their crucial senior years.
    Regardless, the incoming group does not have the talent of the outgoing group...hope the portal gives us some help.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Regardless, the incoming group does not have the talent of the outgoing group...hope the portal gives us some help.
    And we ‘ll still lose three to the League…

2023 is shaping to be better than 2021 for sure with more incoming talent, but it feels like our ceiling will not be as high as 2022. The incoming class rankings are solid, but I don’t see a Paolo or AJ in this class. But that’s why they play the game. Maybe Whitehead is a dynamic scorer. Maybe Mitchell is better than advertised. Maybe Roach makes a jump like Tre did from year 1 to 2. Maybe we land an elite shooter in the portal.

A number of question marks that are yet to be answered. Another young team with upside. Who besides Jeremy will be a leader? Who will take the last shot? How will we do on defense?

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    And we ‘ll still lose three to the League…
    what can you do? I do very much like the look of the 2023 incoming crop...perhaps augmented by a holdover or two from the 2022 bunch (one can dream).

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    2023 is shaping to be better than 2021 for sure with more incoming talent, but it feels like our ceiling will not be as high as 2022. The incoming class rankings are solid, but I don’t see a Paolo or AJ in this class. But that’s why they play the game. Maybe Whitehead is a dynamic scorer. Maybe Mitchell is better than advertised. Maybe Roach makes a jump like Tre did from year 1 to 2. Maybe we land an elite shooter in the portal.

A number of question marks that are yet to be answered. Another young team with upside. Who besides Jeremy will be a leader? Who will take the last shot? How will we do on defense?
    AND... maybe Coach Scheyer surprises...

I need to see a lot of offball movement next year and some high pnr with JR and DL

Look around the nation. UNC seems like they'll return a lot. But their season still hinges on Love, and Manek's loss could prove devastating in the end.

Who else? UK has a few big returnees, but lots of question marks, both more and bigger than Duke's, across their roster.

Ark has recruited well, but it all depends on their C returning. If he doesn't, they are weak in side, and could have some chemistry/fit problems.

Nova loses players and a coach.

UCLA wasn't that great and still lost some guys, but brings in a few.

Are we world beaters? Nope. But the rest of the nation ain't so great. We don't have to be great, just better than everyone else. And I think we will be.

I am not worried about offense. And I think the D next year will be better than last year.

With five guys gone, Jeremy Roach will have to be the captain, floor general, glue guy, and coach on the floor. Fortunately, based on his play in the postseason, I think he’s ready.

Defense is absolutely going to be a struggle for this team. It’s so very young and will likely get killed on ball screens and movement off the ball. It’s just way too young of a group with zero familiarity with each other to have any confidence of being strong on D. I’m hoping Scheyer goes with a very different philosophy than K in this regard. Maybe look for a lot more zone.

The offense could be interesting. Jeremy is now in a position of floor general which he really hasn’t had to be in the past. How will he adapt? Will if affect his shooting pct? Can he actually run an offense instead of playing off the ball? Flip could be a guy that is a huge asset on O due to his size and ball handling ability, but a huge liability on D. How much of a perimeter load will Dariq have to shoulder? Can Mitchell actually fill in as a wing? If so then it adds some depth. Otherwise we just don’t have much on the perimeter.

Way too many big questions about this team to even assume they’ll be in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Defense is absolutely going to be a struggle for this team. It’s so very young and will likely get killed on ball screens and movement off the ball. It’s just way too young of a group with zero familiarity with each other to have any confidence of being strong on D. I’m hoping Scheyer goes with a very different philosophy than K in this regard. Maybe look for a lot more zone.

The offense could be interesting. Jeremy is now in a position of floor general which he really hasn’t had to be in the past. How will he adapt? Will if affect his shooting pct? Can he actually run an offense instead of playing off the ball? Flip could be a guy that is a huge asset on O due to his size and ball handling ability, but a huge liability on D. How much of a perimeter load will Dariq have to shoulder? Can Mitchell actually fill in as a wing? If so then it adds some depth. Otherwise we just don’t have much on the perimeter.

Way too many big questions about this team to even assume they’ll be in the tournament.
    I disagree. I think Flip will be great on O (for a frosh) and very good on the boards. We'll hide him on D vs whoever the other team's least mobile big is. Lively can probably guard a lot of taller SFs, so opposing bigs won't be a problem.

As great as Mark was in the paint and around the rim (and he was great), he couldn't switch onto anyone but a big. And if the other big could step out, Mark's effectiveness on D plummeted. But a lot of great NBA bigs are just like that. Lively is far more mobile than Mark was. Lively can step out, and still help defend the paint.

And what Flip lacks in quickness I think he makes up for in nastiness and strength.

Roach will be fine on D, as will Dariq, who is apparently a very willing and able defender. He's closer to AJ in size, but is more like Moore. Only taller and more athletic than Moore. But Moore was an upperclassmen and great defender. DW will be far closer to Moore than AJ, or probably even Keels.

A lot of next year hinges on the other wing spot at Duke. I expect that spot to be filled, somehow, but MM might be able to handle it.

Derek Lively 7-1 220
    Christian Reeves 7-0
    Kyle Flipowski 6-11 230
    Mark Mitchel 6-9 220
    Joey Baker 6-6 205
    Dariq Whitehead 6-6 190
    Jaden Schutt 6-5 180
    Jaylen Blakes 6-3 190
    Jeremy Roach 6-1 172

Then Dariq and Jeremy.

It's not too soon if it's actually a minutes thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post

Ha - not in the tournament. Based on rankings this class matches Zion’s as the best in Duke history. And we have a stud returning junior PG.

I know people are down about Keels and Moore not returning but come on. We are young but we are loaded. I predict either Baker or Schutt will surprise with upside.

And Coach J will be adding 1-2 rotation players via transfer.

I guess it’s just in some people’s nature to down talk a team pre-season. Me, I’ll take our roster over anyone’s including UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Ha - not in the tournament. Based on rankings this class matches Zion’s as the best in Duke history. And we have a stud returning junior PG.

I know people are down about Keels and Moore not returning but come on. We are young but we are loaded. I predict either Baker or Schutt will surprise with upside.

And Coach J will be adding 1-2 rotation players via transfer.

I guess it’s just in some people’s nature to down talk a team pre-season. Me, I’ll take our roster over anyone’s including UNC.
    I think we’ve seen plenty of Baker’s upside. When someone shows you who they are, believe them.