Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ohh boy. He hooked it left.

Let's get 'em in overtime

He hooked it left?

He put it right where anyone who understands football would have expected him to put it.
    GTHC

Bah!

Wide left again...

He's consistent.

Carolina wins...TD in 1st OT

Incredible way for this game to end.

Heartbreaking, and I am afraid it will be more than a few years before we have that kind of opportunity against UNC.

Knowing what we know about Duke's place-kicking, the decision to play for the field goal at the end of regulation simply defies belief. Duke should have played that last possession like they were down by four. Touchdown or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Knowing what we know about Duke's place-kicking, the decision to play for the field goal at the end of regulation simply defies belief. Duke should have played that last possession like they were down by four. Touchdown or nothing.
    Jim, truer words were never written.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Yes, never a truer word spoken. BUT, can you imagine the frustration of a coach who knows his team can't kick a FG from the 22? As a coach you have to put your players in a position to make plays and challenge them to have the guts to do so.

Still, this is about the worst Duke loss I've endured. Beyond words.

12. Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Seriously. The kicking has been terrible.

Damn. Just damn. Kicking game is terrible. The Devils outplayed them all day. It should not have come to this. I told my son that I wished it would come to a walk-off field goal to win because I didn't like the chances in OT. I thought it might be redemption. Damn.

Oh. Win or lose, carolina can still go to hell.

3 for 10 on the season for field goals.

That's D-III caliber.

Recruit a kicker for God's sake. And I hope Roof stayes cause he's this close.

Amen

Yes, and the lack of understanding by the coaching staff on that kind of point, combined with the fact that a team supposedly handicapped in recruiting by academic standards is still making inexcusable mental errors in the last game of the season explain why Ted Roof, a good man, will no longer be Duke's coach. A COACHING CHANGE WILL NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. But still, the end of this game was poorly played by decisions makers in denial.
    GTHC

"can you imagine the frustration of a coach who knows his team can't kick a FG from the 22"

that would be the same coach the recruited the kicker, right?

i think i would rather have been blown out.

Well another football season ends with a splat. I wish TR could have gone out a winner. Really I see only two options at this point for the school in regards to the football program. Spare no expense to improve it or leave the ACC for the Big East so we can field one of those Div 1-AA teams or whatever they are calling it now. And lets face it, option number 2 isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "can you imagine the frustration of a coach who knows his team can't kick a FG from the 22"

that would be the same coach the recruited the kicker, right?

i think i would rather have been blown out.
    And every football player recruited lives up to his billing? This resides with Ted, no question. It's beside the point that Maggio was not recruited as a kicker and has had at least some success this year.

'A kicker, a kicker. My kingdom for a kicker!

I'm actually more upset by the series immediately following the 4th Q TD. The team had proven that it could run on the Heels. But the first play was a TD pass attempt (that if successful, would have been amazing). But the incompletion put the team in a hole that eventually went backwards. Boyle was running very well and another drive like the TD drive would have eaten clock big time. I have no doubt that if the series had begun with a decent run, we'd have won the game.

The other bone I have to pick, is the failure to deal with Little. To use a basketball analogy, he had a 'Bootsy' game going. So why didn't we develop something to stop him? In the OT, everyone under the sun knew it was going to be handed off to him.

Another bone...What is it with missed first tackles? We had guys in their backfield all day long, but they rarely nailed the ball carrier. The ball carrier, often Little as the game developed, just shouldn't be missed like that. Too many one-armed tackles. No one is that slippery. No one. He should have been slowed up at the very least.

Overall, though, I liked the teams' effort. They didn't give up.

Roof's final words, quoting Shakespeare: 'A kicker, a kicker. My kingdom for a kicker!
    Last edited by Jim3k; 11-24-2007 at 07:35 PM.

FB

Word. Not to mention we had 2-3 TO left, 0:38 on the clock and I think Kelly and Riley still had their unis on. Even 1 or 2 first downs to the 5 or 10 yard line may have made it a tough kick