Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The squad announcing the aforementioned schedule. But... spoiler alert, there's a secret scrimmage! Why isn't there more information out about this?

link
    Schnikies I don't recognize most on these whippersnappers. Great clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I mean, of our top 9 players in minutes last year, only one is back.

Lots of new faces.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    To help with your viewing pleasure:
    1. Roach (intro)
    2. Filipowski (CTC)
    3. Blakes (secret scrimmage)
    4. Johns (Fayetteville St)
    5. Young (Jacksonville)
    6. Reeves (USC Upstate)
    7. Lively (Kansas)
    8. Hubbard (Delaware)
    9. Schutt (Bellarmine)
    10. Proctor (PK Tourney)
    11. Mitchell (Ohio St)
    12. Whitehead (Iowa)
    13. Catchings (Maryland Eastern Shore)
    14. Grandison (closing)

Not included: Borden

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

PK85 Bracket

Per Jon Rothstein:

Duke/Oregon State
    Xavier/Florida
    Purdue/West Virginia
    Gonzaga/Portland State
    Good for our non-con that we don't get a real "cupcake" in Portland State... maybe Oregon State will surprise in the Pac-12 and give us a nice Q2 or so win. Xavier is just outside ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25, so a potential second round matchup with them could be a great opportunity for a solid Q1 game. Then, if chalk holds, we get another turn against the potential pre-season No. 1 Bulldogs.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Per Jon Rothstein:

Good for our non-con that we don't get a real "cupcake" in Portland State... maybe Oregon State will surprise in the Pac-12 and give us a nice Q2 or so win. Xavier is just outside ESPN's Way-Too-Early Top 25, so a potential second round matchup with them could be a great opportunity for a solid Q1 game. Then, if chalk holds, we get another turn against the potential pre-season No. 1 Bulldogs.
    Oregon State finished last year at 3-28. It might be that Duke got the easiest first round draw. Assuming the Blue Devils win, Coach Scheyer will face either Sean Miller and Xavier or Todd Golden and Florida. Both offer intriguing matchups with experienced rosters. Duke will be more talented, but it won't be a cakewalk to the finals against Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ok, I'm gonna take a stab at guessing a bit of how the PK85 bracket will play out.

Duke's PK85 bracket with last season's Kenpom rank/this season's Torvik projection:
    Gonzaga - 1 / 1
    Duke - 8 / 5
    Purdue - 14 / 28
    Xavier - 53 / 21
    Florida - 59 / 26
    West Virginia - 66 / 29
    Oregon State - 233 / 269
    Portland St - 256 / 294

As you can see, all three of Xavier, Florida, and West Virginia are projected to be better this year than they were last year. Last seasons was unusually bad for those three teams that are typically bouncing around the back half of the top 25. Purdue figures to be worse than it was a year ago, though still quite good.

Now, I know no one officially talks about it, but we all know that these tournaments do a bit of informal seeding in order to set up the best matchups. Duke and Gonzaga are sure to be on opposite sides of the draw to potentially face each other in the final. The nice thing is that these projected rankings break down very evenly. We have 2 teams clearly at the top and 2 clearly at the bottom. Then, we have a bunching of 4 teams where they are largely equal. It really works great to do something like this:

Gonzaga - Portland State
    Purdue - West Virginia
    Florida - Xavier
    Duke - Oregon State

I think the tourney (in conjunction with ESPN) will ty to get a Purdue - Gonzaga second round matchup so they can pit Drew Timme against the monster that is Purdue's Zach Edey. Duke and Florida have some history and I think the TV talking heads will want to pit Jon Scheyer against Florida's new coach Todd Golden in a hotly contested contest to be the best young Jewish coach in the sport. West Virginia and Xavier might ruin those matchups... whatever. In any event, I am super confident about Duke getting Oregon State, which is a P6 opponent, even if it is far and away the worst P6 team in the country (I don't think any others are ranked outside the top 200.
    2 week ago... I nailed it!!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    2 week ago... I nailed it!!!
    Your perspicuity is only exceeded by your obsequiousness.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Per Jon Rothstein:

The Duke-Oregon State men's game will be at 3:00 ET. The Duke women play U.Conn in the PK85 at 5:30 ET.

By the way, UNC's first game starts at 10:00 am local time in Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    The Duke-Oregon State men's game will be at 3:00 ET. The Duke women play U.Conn in the PK85 at 5:30 ET.
    The Duke-Oregon State men's game is at 3:00 ET on Nov. 24th (Thanksgiving Day). The women play UConn the following day at 5:30, while the men will be on to their second-round game on the 25th at a time TBD.

From what I can tell, if Duke beats Oregon State(a team that went 3-28 and was #233 in KenPom last year), we'll play at 3:00 on Friday against Xavier/Florida. One programing note for that day: the US plays England in the World Cup at 2:00.

It's strange to me that the PK85 apparently doesn't have a website, but I got the start times from this Gonzaga site: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...acket-revealed

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    The Duke-Oregon State men's game is at 3:00 ET on Nov. 24th (Thanksgiving Day). The women play UConn the following day at 5:30, while the men will be on to their second-round game on the 25th at a time TBD.
    A little turkey, family, Duke basketball, NFL football, and World Cup Soccer … let’s have a Thanksgiving Day in 2022 folks!

Glad to see Kentucky-Gonzaga signing up for a home and home starting this year, on top of Duke-Arizona starting next year, Kansas-Indiana starting this year, and UCLA-Villanova starting last year.

It's better for the game to be able to showcase some of these elite matchups on campus rather than having everything be neutral courts.

Rotation

Is it too early to begin approximating a rotation and/or depth chart?

I honestly cannot tell you the last time Duke had so many potential rotation players.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Is it too early to begin approximating a rotation and/or depth chart?

I honestly cannot tell you the last time Duke had so many potential rotation players.
    Never too early. At least it gets us away from talking about seat belts and mileage on British car models.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Glad to see Kentucky-Gonzaga signing up for a home and home starting this year, on top of Duke-Arizona starting next year, Kansas-Indiana starting this year, and UCLA-Villanova starting last year.

It's better for the game to be able to showcase some of these elite matchups on campus rather than having everything be neutral courts.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure what is motivating the return of these types of series, but I'm just glad they are returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    It's better for the game to be able to showcase some of these elite matchups on campus
    As a current student, I could not agree more. The non-conference scheduling at Cameron last season contained very little excitement outside of seeing our own team, and this coming season the best non-conference matchup in Cameron will be against OSU in the ACC/B10 challenge, which is better than last season, but still not a super high-profile opponent.

Needless to say, I am really looking forward to Arizona being a part of the non-conference slate in 2 years, and it will bring some much-needed fall energy to the campus.

Maybe the football team will be bringing some of that energy by 2023 as well.

I've been looking at Duke's schedule for December and noticing that Duke has no games scheduled after December 10. Last season we had four games scheduled in December after the 10th. I have to guess that Duke will have quite a conference schedule in December -- maybe three or four games. It's a shame since the students won't be in town for the home games but this may be an opportunity for Duke fans who don't have season tickets. This may open up the schedule in January and February for several open dates.

To my recollection we've never had more than two conference games in December, and usually it's only one. Agree that it's weird to have such a long break. My nightmare scenario is always that the team has two weeks off for the holidays and then our first game back is on the road at VT or FSU or even NCSU. Those never end well.

To my recollection we've never had more than two conference games in December, and usually it's only one. Agree that it's weird to have such a long break. My nightmare scenario is always that the team has two weeks off for the holidays and then our first game back is on the road at VT or FSU or even NCSU. Those never end well.
    yes, those are Twilight Zone venues.

I didn't see this one on the schedule- apparently some new Freshman will have a chance to scrimmage against the basketball team as part of the new orientation model.

https://today.duke.edu/2022/08/class...uke-experience