Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    I do often worry about the game at Syracuse because they continue to treat it like their Super Bowl.
    The bigger problem is playing them and UVA on a Monday night without a bye. Those two have proven to be scheduled losses since they seem to require normal preparation time the first time we see them.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Good find. When I look at this, my eye always is drawn to who we only face on the road: this year, that's UVA, Cuse, GT, and Clemson. All things considered that's not a horrible draw, especially given Cuse's scuffles of late, although we all know @UVA will always be a fight.
    Well. but we also get 2 with UNC and 2 with Miami in addition to the game at UVA. There are 4 ACC teams getting some preseason Top 25 love right now. We are one of them and we play all three of the others on the road. And 2 of our other H&A opponents are teams that have experienced recent success (Wake and VT) and figure to be clubs that will really give us a fight. Plus, we get to play NC State and Seabourne twice -- he may be the best player in the conference next season.

I know it is insanely early and we really have only wild guesses about how teams will come together in the conference, but I would say that of the teams that have a realistic shot at beating Duke next season all of them will get us at their place with the exceptions of FSU and Notre Dame. I feel like this is about as tough a schedule as I could imagine. Though I would expect us to be favored in all our games except at UNC and maybe one or two others, if Duke only loses 4 games against this schedule, I will be mildly surprised.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Plus, we get to play NC State and Seabourne twice -- he may be the best player in the conference next season.
    Dereon Seabron stayed in the draft. Terquavion Smith returned to NCSU.

The irony of this tweet is outstanding:

Ethan McDowell @ethanmmcdowell

“For me, it wasn't about the money.”

Terquavion Smith (@Tgetsbuckss23) is back at NC State after testing the NBA draft waters, and NIL opportunities are not a significant reason why...

4:06 PM · Jun 15, 2022

Note the sentiment, and then note Smith's Twitter handle in parentheses.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Dereon Seabron stayed in the draft. Terquavion Smith returned to NCSU.
    Sorry, total brain fart on my part. Yes, I meant Smith who is certain to be on the pre-season All-ACC list and will contend with Bacot for POY, I suspect. I expect Smith to average over 20ppg next season.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

ACC schedule matrix, 2022-25

Update to ^ post #37 —

Here’s the complete ACC bball schedule matrix for next 3 seasons.

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vie...ate=1655324361

Duke is hosting Bellarmine this upcoming season on November 21st. The Knights won the ASUN Tournament in their second season at the D1 level but were barred from making the NCAAT as programs have to be D-1 for a more years to qualify.

If anyone thinks Duke has a tough non-conference schedule, check out the opponents for the Knights:

@ Clemson
    @ Duke
    @ Kentucky
    @ Louisville
    @ UCLA

Sheesh!

https://twitter.com/BUKnights/status...38983667453953

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Duke is hosting Bellarmine this upcoming season on November 21st. The Knights won the ASUN Tournament in their second season at the D1 level but were barred from making the NCAAT as programs have to be D-1 for a more years to qualify.

If anyone thinks Duke has a tough non-conference schedule, check out the opponents for the Knights:

@ Clemson
    @ Duke
    @ Kentucky
    @ Louisville
    @ UCLA

Sheesh!

https://twitter.com/BUKnights/status...38983667453953
    Bet they gonna make some serious bank, though.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Updated look at the schedule based on what I understand:

November 8: Duke vs. Jacksonville
    November 15: Duke vs. Kansas (Indianapolis, IN as part of Champions Classic)
    November 21: Duke vs. Bellarmine
    November 24-27: PK85 Legacy Bracket, including Duke, Florida, Gonzaga, Oregon State, Portland State, Purdue, West Virginia, and Xavier (Portland, OR)
    December 6: Duke vs. Iowa (MSG, Jimmy V Classic)
    December XX: Duke vs TBD (ACC/B1G Challenge at Cameron Indoor Stadium)

I think that leaves 3 more non-conference games to be added to the schedule. I assume one gets played around Veterans Day, November 11-12 between the opening day game and the Champions Classic. It would make sense to add another between the Champions Classic and Bellarmine as well as after the ACC/B1G game to tune up for the ACC schedule. It's possible that an ACC game could be played in November-December, although Duke hasn't played the early games before. In theory, Duke also "owes" Michigan State for a game played at CIS during COVID. That might be a good game between the game at PK85 and the one at MSG vs. Iowa. Like the Hawkeyes, MSU should be a borderline top 25 team this upcoming season. It might be a good year to play that game to help the young Duke team get acclimated to road games in the ACC.

I think that leaves 3 more non-conference games to be added to the schedule. I assume one gets played around Veterans Day, November 11-12 between the opening day game and the Champions Classic. It would make sense to add another between the Champions Classic and Bellarmine as well as after the ACC/B1G game to tune up for the ACC schedule. It's possible that an ACC game could be played in November-December, although Duke hasn't played the early games before. In theory, Duke also "owes" Michigan State for a game played at CIS during COVID. That might be a good game between the game at PK85 and the one at MSG vs. Iowa. Like the Hawkeyes, MSU should be a borderline top 25 team this upcoming season. It might be a good year to play that game to help the young Duke team get acclimated to road games in the ACC.
    History shows very strongly that what is left will be guarantee games in Cameron, and I can't complain like I did last year. Duke isn't going to play more non-conference games outside Cameron than inside it.

Block out Dec 9-19 for exams if Duke has any say in it. I think the Michigan series was during reading period, but it's been very rare since that series ended when we've scheduled games in that block. The school calendar is linked below:

https://registrar.duke.edu/fall-2022-academic-calendar

So you might add games (+/-) 11/11 (not Saturday), 11/18 (not Saturday), 12/3 (football conference championship weekend), and 12/20. At least 19/20 of the full ACC rotation will start around 12/27.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualObserver View Post
    I loved watching that Jacksonville team back in the day. I also believe it was a Jacksonville game in which Brent Musberger came up with the phrase, “Phi, Slamma, Jamma”! whenever either of the above went hard to the iron.
    Oh my! That was the Cougars from U of H.

Hakeem Olajuwan, Clyde Drexler and Co. Team from '82-85, named by an H-town sports writer

Another one to add to the schedule: Duke is hosting USC Upstate on November 11th per twitter account The D1 Docket.

https://twitter.com/TheD1Docket/stat...88533724708876

November 8: Duke vs. Jacksonville
    November 11: Duke vs. USC Upstate
    November 15: Duke vs. Kansas (Indianapolis, IN as part of Champions Classic)
    November 21: Duke vs. Bellarmine
    November 24-27: PK85 Legacy Bracket, including Duke, Florida, Gonzaga, Oregon State, Portland State, Purdue, West Virginia, and Xavier (Portland, OR)
    December 6: Duke vs. Iowa (MSG, Jimmy V Classic)
    December XX: Duke vs TBD (ACC/B1G Challenge at Cameron Indoor Stadium)

That leaves two more non-conference games.

Another one to add to the schedule: Duke is hosting USC Upstate on November 11th per twitter account The D1 Docket.

https://twitter.com/TheD1Docket/stat...88533724708876

That leaves two more non-conference games.
    Thanks for compiling this info. Based upon projections for next season, the OOC schedule should at least be solid with the potential to be really good. I’m assuming the ACC-Big# game will include aTop-20ish team (Indiana, MSU, Illinois, or Michigan with Purdue out because of being in the Legacy Bracket) and Duke plays at least one Top-25 team in Oregon with the potential of playing two.

Projecting the Legacy Bracket, my guess is Duke and Gonzaga are on opposite ends with Purdue and Xavier (both likely top 25 teams) split as well. Florida looks like a top 40ish team and I’m not seeing much expectations for OSU and WV. So best case for SOS would be playing Gonzaga and Xavier or Purdue (or one of them instead of Gonzaga)- worst realistic case should be only one of Xavier/Purdue.

So that means the following quality OOC opponents:

Kansas - top 10
    Iowa - top 30ish
    ACC-BigThing - top 10-20ish
    Gonzaga/Purdue/Xavier- top 5 and/or up to two top 25 teams
    One more ranked team might fill one of the remaining slots but I see that as unlikely given it being Scheyer’s first season and all the player turnover. I think the schedule is already challenging enough, especially if things fall right in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I’m not seeing much expectations for OSU and WV.
    Just for clarification: the OSU you reference is 2021 Elite 8 Oregon State and 2022 Oregon State that went 3-28 (1-19). They did take Wake to OT last year, but I think for NET purposes I would rather play Portland State again. I will predict that the Beavers double or triple their win total--maybe more.

Duke hosting Ohio State

The ACC/B1G matchups were just announced and Duke will be hosting Ohio State.

Revenge game?

Revenge game?
    Kind of? Ten Ohio State players played in that game, but by my count only one (Zed Key) is back.

On the other side, nine Duke players played in that game, but only one (Roach) is back.

So it's a rematch featuring 10.5% of the players and 50% of the coaches from last year.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Revenge game?
    Just beat me to it Here's the full list: https://collegehoopstoday.com/index...ten-challenge/

Looks like I couldn't manifest my trip to see Duke in Ann Arbor into reality, haha. But Michigan will be hosting Virginia which will be a fascinating matchup... can Virginia's two-headed monster at the 5 and pack-line defense stop Hunter Dickinson, especially in Ann Arbor?

North Carolina should get a test at Indiana, although I personally think Indiana is getting overrated a bit based on them returning most of a mediocre team (a bit similar to what was discussed in another thread about Creighton).

With us getting this game at home, I hope that Coach Scheyer diverges from his mentor's scheduling strategy a bit and finds us a road game to get the youngsters acclimated. Some floated a "return visit" to Michigan State, and while this is likely a down year for the Spartans that would be a heck of a baptism by fire. I'd love to see us schedule a home-and-home with a more "average" non-conference opponent with the road matchup this year. Maybe something like a middling Big East team?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Revenge game?
    That's THE Ohio State.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    That's THE Ohio State.
    That's right, lest we forget Ohio State grads need the reminder of how to spell "the" by having it in all caps in front of their alma mater's name.

I'll see myself out.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Nothing yet. Ignore this.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    That's THE Ohio State.
    Did you see where they actually trademarked "THE"?
    Ohio State University has officially registered a trademark for the word "THE" after a nearly three-year battle to clinch legal branding access to a word that's deeply meaningful to the school's overall identity.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/23/us/oh...the/index.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."