Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    IL, Purdue, OSU, Rutgers, MSU, MD, and PSU are theoretical candidates to play in Cameron for the ACC-B10 Challenge since the cycle does not reset this year. I'm not sure we will draw Purdue given that we might have played less than a week earlier.

If you add the MSG game to what we know, that's all 5 of our away/neutral spots.
    Wouldn't Michigan be a likely candidate for Duke for the ACC-B1G Challenge? I'm supposing those two will be the top rated schools in the two conferences. Who knows? Maybe UNC will be rated higher than Duke coming into the 22-23 season.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Won’t open the season in 2022, but it’s been renewed through 2025, with same 4 teams.

https://espnevents.com/press/champio...ee-more-years/
    Yep. The teams indicated a desire for it to not be the season opener, as the lowering of the number of exhibition games meant that they didn't get enough time on the court before such a big game.

I think it's best not being the first game of the season, but I did like that Duke went undefeated in the Champions Classic when it did serve as the season opener.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Wouldn't Michigan be a likely candidate for Duke for the ACC-B1G Challenge? I'm supposing those two will be the top rated schools in the two conferences. Who knows? Maybe UNC will be rated higher than Duke coming into the 22-23 season.
    It would require Duke or MI to play two road games in one H-A cycle. Since UNC-MI played last year, I'm expecting a repeat there.

This is non-Duke related, and it wouldn't start up until 2023-2024, but CBS' Matt Norlander has a piece up today about a proposal to basically re-instate and expand the old "Bracket Buster's concept." https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...into-february/

The idea, assuming everyone buys in, would be for the non-power conferences to commit to a week of non-conference play (2 games each team, one home and one away), in mid-February -- i.e., they would "give up" 2 of their early season non-con games (which are mostly buy games anyway), move conference play up a week, and then in Feb. have home and away non-con. games with similarly-rated opponents (e.g., Quad 1 vs. Quad 1 and Quad 2 vs. Quad 2 matchups).

It seems to be spearheaded by Michigan St. Associate AD Kevin Pauga -- who's a long-standing creative schedule-maker and creator of the KPI index. The key to it seems to be that everyone would commit to matchups being determined 3 weeks or so ahead of time by an algorithm that would be based primarily on rankings (be it NET rankings or some combination of other metrics/predictive rankings systems) plus trying to "equitably" match travel obligations:

"… A key component of this idea is removing human decision-making when it comes down to actually figuring out what teams are playing each other. Pauga said the matchups would be out of the hands of coaches, athletic directors and conferences. The algorithm would automatically determine the matchups in late January ... based on team performance. It could be based on the NET, or it might be determined in a combination of results-based metrics and predictive ones. … and Pauga put together a package to explain how the algorithm would account for things like travel, bus mileage, flight mileage and how this can be built out equitably. The games would also be broadcast across many television networks…"

The article quotes Pauga as saying the temple he put together would, this season, have generated 31 Q1 opportunities and 52 Q2 opportunities for these non-power 5 teams.

The article doesn't give the details of Pauga's model, but in just sketching out what something like this could look like, if you took last season's NET rankings and grouped the non-power 5 teams in the top 125 in pods of 4 roughly in order (with some adjustments for conference affiliation) and then had each of those groups of 4 play 2 games against one another, it could be:

Gonzaga - @ Houston, Loyola Chicago
    Houston - Gonzaga, @ Murray St.
    Murray St. - @ Loyola Chicago, Houston
    Loyola - @ Gonzaga, Murray St.

St Mary's - San Diego St., @ Memphis
    Memphis - @ Davidson, St Mary's
    San Diego St. - @ St Mary's, Davidson
    Davidson - Memphis, @ San Diego St.

Boise St. - San Francisco, @ SMU
    San Francisco - @ Boise St, UAB
    UAB - SMU, @ San Francisco
    SMU - @ UAB, Boise St.

Colorado St - Dayton, @ North Texas
    North Texas - Colorado St., @ Vermont
    Vermont - @ Dayton, North Texas
    Dayton - @ Colorado St., Vermont

BYU - Wyoming, @ UTC
    UTC - BYU, @ VCU
    VCU - @ Wyoming, UTC
    Wyoming - @ BYU, VCU

Utah St. – South Dakota St., @ Santa Clara
    South Dakota St. - @ Utah St., St. Louis
    St. Louis – Santa Clara, @ So. Dakota St.,
    Santa Clara - @ St. Louis, Utah St.

Other 4 team/2 game pods:
    Towson, St Bonny, Missouri St., Belmont
    Fresno St., N. Mexico St., Furman, Richmond
    Iona, Drake, Toledo, Wichita St.
    Cincy, Middle Tenn., UNLV, Grand Canyon
    Tulane, La. Tech, UCF, Northern Iowa
    Temple, St Peter’s, Bradley, Wofford
    Hofstra, George Mason, Morehead St., Liberty.

The bottom of this would have gotten tough to watch, but it would generate probably 20-30 watchable games during a time of year when the mid-majors don't get much national attention

Are there any rumblings on whether Duke will take a foreign trip this summer? I'm seeing where other schools are announcing trips. With it being Jon's first year as head coach and a team with many new parts, I think a trip would make sense. (Also, I'd love a fix of Duke basketball.) However, I recall that Jon was supposed to be coaching in the Maccabiah games this summer so maybe he doesn't have time.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Are there any rumblings on whether Duke will take a foreign trip this summer? I'm seeing where other schools are announcing trips. With it being Jon's first year as head coach and a team with many new parts, I think a trip would make sense. (Also, I'd love a fix of Duke basketball.) However, I recall that Jon was supposed to be coaching in the Maccabiah games this summer so maybe he doesn't have time.
    Scheyer mentioned in the presser earlier this week that Duke would not be doing an international trip this summer.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Not just a Duke thing but Jeff Goodman has a page on Stadium where they are tracking all the regular-season tournaments and the teams in them: https://watchstadium.com/college-bas...le-05-23-2022/

We already know Duke is in the Champion's Classic against Kansas; that we will face some combo of Florida, Gonzaga, Oregon State, Portland State, Purdue, West Virginia, and Xavier in the Phil Knight Legacy; and that we have a TBA opponent in the Jimmy V Classic on Dec 6 (I think UCLA could be a really interesting one).

A few other interesting tourneys --
    • Baylor, Illinois, UCLA, and Virginia play in Las Vegas the week before Thanksgiving. good chance for the Cavs to test themselves against top ten opponents in Baylor and UCLA.
    • The Hall of Fame event at Mohegan Sun features Maryland, Miami, Providence, and Saint Louis. That will be a great test for a loaded St. Louis team that will be among the best mid-majors in the country
    • Maui has a loaded field with Arizona, Arkansas, Cincinnati, Creighton, Louisville, Ohio State, San Diego State, and Texas Tech. How quickly can Payne and Nolan rebuild at Louisville?
    • ESPN has invited Florida State, Memphis, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Seton Hall, Siena, and Stanford to their tournament over Thanksgiving at Disney. Feels like a second-rate field. May not be a ranked team in the bunch.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

We have an opponent in the Jimmy V in MSG in December. It will be a pretty good Iowa team that is a fringe Top 25 team coming into the season.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...00238997716994
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We have an opponent in the Jimmy V in MSG in December. It will be a pretty good Iowa team that is a fringe Top 25 team coming into the season.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...00238997716994
    With Kris Murray returning to Iowa (twin bro of potential Top 5 pick Keegan), the Hawkeyes will be a very solid team next year, although definitely not a Top 10 caliber team. I really like this from a scheduling perspective, since it'll in all likelihood be a Q1 game come tourney time, but one we should be comfortably favored in. These "mid tier" Q1 games are something that our resume really lacked this year since our non-conference schedule was so top heavy with Gonzaga, Kentucky and Ohio State, but then was cupcake city.

Also, this is one more step towards us facing Michigan in the B1G ACC Challenge, which I hope will be in Ann Arbor, because that means I'll in all likelihood be there in my family's seats that are in prime TV camera spot, and then I'll get to wear all my Duke blue and annoy everyone and y'all will have VIDEO EVIDENCE that I root for Duke over Michigan.

Sorry for the tangent
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    With Kris Murray returning to Iowa (twin bro of potential Top 5 pick Keegan), the Hawkeyes will be a very solid team next year, although definitely not a Top 10 caliber team. I really like this from a scheduling perspective, since it'll in all likelihood be a Q1 game come tourney time, but one we should be comfortably favored in. These "mid tier" Q1 games are something that our resume really lacked this year since our non-conference schedule was so top heavy with Gonzaga, Kentucky and Ohio State, but then was cupcake city.

Also, this is one more step towards us facing Michigan in the B1G ACC Challenge, which I hope will be in Ann Arbor, because that means I'll in all likelihood be there in my family's seats that are in prime TV camera spot, and then I'll get to wear all my Duke blue and annoy everyone and y'all will have VIDEO EVIDENCE that I root for Duke over Michigan.

Sorry for the tangent
    So, last year Duke and Michigan were both on the road. I think the Challenge tries to alternate it year to year, so Duke is due a home game and so is Michigan (especially because Michigan's scheduled home game in 2020 was canceled due to Covid).

The top tier Big Ten teams who played at home in 2021 and would therefore be likely opponents for Duke in Cameron are: Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State, and Michigan State. I think Purdue is my choice, just for the sake of variety. Plus, Lively versus Zach Edey would be a great matchup.

So, last year Duke and Michigan were both on the road. I think the Challenge tries to alternate it year to year, so Duke is due a home game and so is Michigan (especially because Michigan's scheduled home game in 2020 was canceled due to Covid).

The top tier Big Ten teams who played at home in 2021 and would therefore be likely opponents for Duke in Cameron are: Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State, and Michigan State. I think Purdue is my choice, just for the sake of variety. Plus, Lively versus Zach Edey would be a great matchup.
    Remember that we might play Purdue 3-4 days before in the Portland tournament. I'm betting on OSU returning the trip at this point. IL would be making two consecutive road trips to Cameron, and the same applies to Izzo with the Champions game. My hunch is Scheyer continues the department-wide boycott of MD, and Rutgers would bring more jokes from ACC opponents than actual viewers.

By the way, remember that Duke apparently made some sort of at least vague commitment of a return game at Michigan State after they played their Champion's Classic game at an empty Cameron Indoor Stadium in 2020. Something tells me that game isn't coming this season, if ever, but who knows?

Anyone but Sparty. Man am I sick of playing them. With Jackson-Davis back, Indiana should be close to the top of pre-season Big 10 prognostications. I wouldn't mind a game with them.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Anyone but Sparty. Man am I sick of playing them. With Jackson-Davis back, Indiana should be close to the top of pre-season Big 10 prognostications. I wouldn't mind a game with them.
    Fully agree - No MSU, -please!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Fully agree - No MSU, -please!
    We’ll definitely play Michigan State in 2023 in the Champions Classic.

They don’t exactly alternate every year, that would make scheduling impossible unless you always played the same opponent. I think I remember hearing once that within every four year window each team will play twice at home and twice on the road.

ACC schedule matrix, 2022-2025

It irritates me that goduke.com isn’t onto the story of this post, which is the matrix for each ACC school’s opponents for the next 3 seasons.

As I speculated on a thread back in April, the new ACC schedule rotation for the next 3 seasons will repeat the last 3 seasons. Thus, our ACC opponents in ‘22-‘23 will match those of ‘19-‘20. (Similarly, ‘23-‘24 = ‘20-‘21, and ‘24-‘25 = ‘21-‘22.)

So, for upcoming season ‘22-‘23, our H&A opponents are UNC, Wake, NCSt, BC, Miami, and VT. We get H-only with UL, Pitt, FSU, and ND. That leaves A-only with UVa, Cuse, GT, and Clemson.

Link is to a si.com site linking to UVa bball: https://www.si.com/college/virginia/...hups-announced

Money sentence is: ”The 20-game ACC schedule model, which was first adopted for the 2019-2020 season, included a three-year cycle that came to an end with the 2021-2022 season. Now, that cycle will begin again with each ACC team having the same home/away/repeat opponents this coming season as in the 2019-2020 season.”

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    It irritates me that goduke.com isn’t onto the story of this post, which is the matrix for each ACC school’s opponents for the next 3 seasons.

As I speculated on a thread back in April, the new ACC schedule rotation for the next 3 seasons will repeat the last 3 seasons. Thus, our ACC opponents in ‘22-‘23 will match those of ‘19-‘20. (Similarly, ‘23-‘24 = ‘20-‘21, and ‘24-‘25 = ‘21-‘22.)

So, for upcoming season ‘22-‘23, our H&A opponents are UNC, Wake, NCSt, BC, Miami, and VT. We get H-only with UL, Pitt, FSU, and ND. That leaves A-only with UVa, Cuse, GT, and Clemson.

Link is to a si.com site linking to UVa bball: https://www.si.com/college/virginia/...hups-announced

Money sentence is: ”The 20-game ACC schedule model, which was first adopted for the 2019-2020 season, included a three-year cycle that came to an end with the 2021-2022 season. Now, that cycle will begin again with each ACC team having the same home/away/repeat opponents this coming season as in the 2019-2020 season.”
    Good find. When I look at this, my eye always is drawn to who we only face on the road: this year, that's UVA, Cuse, GT, and Clemson. All things considered that's not a horrible draw, especially given Cuse's scuffles of late, although we all know @UVA will always be a fight.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Good find. When I look at this, my eye always is drawn to who we only face on the road: this year, that's UVA, Cuse, GT, and Clemson. All things considered that's not a horrible draw, especially given Cuse's scuffles of late, although we all know @UVA will always be a fight.
    I do often worry about the game at Syracuse because they continue to treat it like their Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Artis Gilmore and Pembrook Burrows III aren't walking through that door.
    I loved watching that Jacksonville team back in the day. I also believe it was a Jacksonville game in which Brent Musberger came up with the phrase, “Phi, Slamma, Jamma”! whenever either of the above went hard to the iron.