MBB 2022-23 Captains announced

I didn't see this mentioned in any other threads, but somewhat hidden among the media announcements for next week is the fact that Jeremy Roach and Jacob Grandison were named as team captains. The latter is a bit of a surprise, but speaks to the value of his experience. And also re-emphasizes how new this entire roster is when nobody else with notable playing time returns from last season.

link

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I didn't see this mentioned in any other threads, but somewhat hidden among the media announcements for next week is the fact that Jeremy Roach and Jacob Grandison were named as team captains. The latter is a bit of a surprise, but speaks to the value of his experience. And also re-emphasizes how new this entire roster is when nobody else with notable playing time returns from last season.

link
    New coach, new rules.

I mean it's still a bit of a surprise, but we should be cautious not to hold Jon to our expectations built under K.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

link
    I get it though it is an interesting choice. Definitely the first time there will be a captain who I would not recognize walking down the street. Scheyer easily could have had just one captain (or none) so this was clearly a planned decision.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    New coach, new rules.

I mean it's still a bit of a surprise, but we should be cautious not to hold Jon to our expectations built under K.
    K typically had two or three captains and never had a player in his first year with the program as a captain (to my knowledge), but he has had years with only one captain and even had that season with zero captains. So I don't think there's any standard that I was expecting. And everybody knows this is Roach's team.

Maybe Jon is trying to send a message that he values experienced transfers. Perhaps it will help in the recruitment of the next transfer?

Leaders are easy to spot. Doesn’t matter if they are freshman or super seniors. If they demonstrate they are leaders, name them as captain. Pretty easy, IMO.

Biggest factor is that Grandison is embraced as a leader of DUKE by the coaching staff? players? In any case, I would think there is wholehearted acceptance of Grandison as captain... which to me, speaks volumes of the person he is.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's not a bit of a surprise, it's a total one. I'm assuming that captainship is earned, though, and not given, so he must be gelling well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Not a surprise to me. High character, very experienced guy who will play a big role on this year’s team.

And I agree it’s a great signal to future impact transfers.

If Jacob can't keep playing basketball after Duke,corporate America will be recruiting him. He already has this degree.Earned master’s (M.S.) degree from Illinois GIES School of Business in Business Management in May 2022. Marc Andriessen is from Illinos. Silicon Valley venture capitalist. Think he is in Fuqua for their program.Could be like Matt Christiansen in intellect power.

Matt's famous late Father Sorry for Wikpedia post but it seems accurate.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_Christensen
    https://sternstrategy.com/speakers/matthew-christensen/
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthewchristensen41/
    Last edited by heyman25; 10-06-2022 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Not a surprise to me. High character, very experienced guy who will play a big role on this year’s team.

And I agree it’s a great signal to future impact transfers.
    So including FUQUA graduate degree, and possibility of captainship... Coach Scheyer may really be in a good position going forward with upper class/experienced/grad transfers.

I think the tweet (not from an official Duke account) that started this thread is wrong. It would appear that Roach is currently the only team captain. Grandison or some other player might earn it at some point down the road, but at the moment, Jeremy is the only one: https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1578090244708175873
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think the tweet (not from an official Duke account) that started this thread is wrong. It would appear that Roach is currently the only team captain. Grandison or some other player might earn it at some point down the road, but at the moment, Jeremy is the only one: https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1578090244708175873
    Beat me to it by minutes, Jason

I think this makes sense. I imagine Jacob will play that role for this team regardless of whether he's "officially" a captain or not. I would have had no problem with him being a captain out of the gate, but given how weirded out many on the board were by the idea of a transfer being a captain right away, maybe this is Jon trying not to change things too quickly, haha.

That said, I see no reason why Jacob couldn't earn that status at some point this year. It would be a nice way to acknowledge what he brings to the table as a 6th year guy, even if he doesn't end up starting a lot (which he could've at a lot of other places he considered going to).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Grandy and Jeremy are going to ACC media day. I am guessing that Grandy beat out Young as the "elder transfer statesman likely to see PT" and therefore a logical media day choice. I must say that from the limited interview clips I have seen of Jake, he's very well spoken and thoughtful. The article about him by Brendan Marks in the Athletic ($) is a good read.

This thread needs a title change.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

When the mods discover my drafts of "breaking news" to post to the DBR forum:

sub-buzz-2638-1580918652-10.jpg

Awesome

Jeremy was a given. And congrats to him

Grandison isn't all that surprising when you think about it.

It wasn't going to be any of the frosh. It wasn't going to be Blakes (virtually no playing time yesterday). It wasn't going to be a walk-on.

So it's either Jeremy or...one of the 4 grad students. Let's remove the two Ivy Leaguers cus the Ivies don't produce leaders (kidding!). Let's remove them cus they aren't going to play meaningful minutes. Young would have an interesting choice, but I suspect his one-dimensionalism (back-to-the-basket posting up) is going to limit his minutes.

Grandison seems like the obvious choice. There are plenty of minutes at the 2 available. He is a proven 3-and-D guy. And he seems like a smart, good kid.

Love the choice by Scheyer. He's clearly embracing the transfer portal.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Jeremy was a given. And congrats to him

Grandison isn't all that surprising when you think about it.

It wasn't going to be any of the frosh. It wasn't going to be Blakes (virtually no playing time yesterday). It wasn't going to be a walk-on.

So it's either Jeremy or...one of the 4 grad students. Let's remove the two Ivy Leaguers cus the Ivies don't produce leaders (kidding!). Let's remove them cus they aren't going to play meaningful minutes. Young would have an interesting choice, but I suspect his one-dimensionalism (back-to-the-basket posting up) is going to limit his minutes.

Grandison seems like the obvious choice. There are plenty of minutes at the 2 available. He is a proven 3-and-D guy. And he seems like a smart, good kid.

Love the choice by Scheyer. He's clearly embracing the transfer portal.
    Except... scroll back up to JasonEvans post. Apparently this thread started with some bad information. It's just Roach (for now).

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Except... scroll back up to JasonEvans post. Apparently this thread started with some bad information. It's just Roach (for now).
    Cool. That's what I get for not reading...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Cool. That's what I get for not reading...
    S'okay. You have a lot of positive juju from the World Cup thread that should buy you some good mojo.