Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Non-conference schedule announced. On paper the schedule is just ok. No more South Carolina, in its place is TAMU. Northwestern visits in the Big 10 challenge. Road game at FGCU won't be easy. IU-Penn is the exhibition game... real season starts on a Monday. Guaranteed to get at least one top 5 matchup in Portland.

https://goduke.com/news/2022/7/6/wom...-sale-now.aspx
    Ugh...weakest OOC schedule in a long, long time. We truly need to win every one of those games, aside from whoever we play in the Phil Knight Classic, which is likely going to be our only top rated competition until we hit conference play.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Ugh...weakest OOC schedule in a long, long time. We truly need to win every one of those games, aside from whoever we play in the Phil Knight Classic, which is likely going to be our only top rated competition until we hit conference play.
    TAMU is a very good program and a better matchup for us than USC right now. They won a national championship a decade ago and last year was the first time since 2005 they didn't win at least 22 games.

Northwestern is certainly a step down from Iowa, but that's the ACC/B1G (Does B1G even make sense anymore? Did it ever?) Challenge so I don't believe Duke had any power over that matchup.

FGCU was 30-3 last year, ended ranked #23 (#20 in coaches poll), and has been a regular in the NCAA Tourney.

Remember, we're still rebuilding. I think it's a reasonable OOC schedule.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    TAMU is a very good program and a better matchup for us than USC right now. They won a national championship a decade ago and last year was the first time since 2005 they didn't win at least 22 games.

Northwestern is certainly a step down from Iowa, but that's the ACC/B1G (Does B1G even make sense anymore? Did it ever?) Challenge so I don't believe Duke had any power over that matchup.

FGCU was 30-3 last year, ended ranked #23 (#20 in coaches poll), and has been a regular in the NCAA Tourney.

Remember, we're still rebuilding. I think it's a reasonable OOC schedule.

And FGCU put a good whipping on us (78-56) the last time we played (Dec 2019). They will certainly test our perimeter defense.

The matchups aren't set yet, but the teams in the Phil Knight Legacy are extremely strong. We'll be getting 2 of these 3: UConn, Iowa, and Oregon State. The first 2 are pre-season top-10, and Oregon State has been a regular in the NCAA Tourney, advancing pretty deep a few years.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Was too slow on my edit...I can pretty much assure you they're not going to put UConn against Iowa in the first game, we'll get one of those two. And if we win, chances are we'll get the other next.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Was too slow on my edit...I can pretty much assure you they're not going to put UConn against Iowa in the first game, we'll get one of those two. And if we win, chances are we'll get the other next.
    I'd like to play Iowa again. It would be a good rematch on a neutral court, and by "different" teams than played last year. I'm guessing since they lost, Iowa wouldn't be opposed to it either.
    Of course since we did play last year is why they are likely to not make it happen in game 1.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'd like to play Iowa again. It would be a good rematch on a neutral court, and by "different" teams than played last year. I'm guessing since they lost, Iowa wouldn't be opposed to it either.
    Of course since we did play last year is why they are likely to not make it happen in game 1.
    I'm betting Uconn gets Iowa and Oregon State, and we get the same matchups. A Oregon State matchup will now be interesting due to our 2 new transfers. I also want Iowa again. Some of their fans say that our victory last year was a tainted due to it was their first game after a long covid break.
    Last edited by triaddukefan; 07-06-2022 at 01:41 PM.

I'm betting Uconn gets Iowa and Oregon State, and we get the same matchups. A Oregon State matchup will now be interesting due to our 2 new transfers. I also want Iowa again. Some of their fans say that our victory last year was a tainted due to it was their first game after a long covid break.
    ??? It's a mini-tourney, the winners play and there's a consolation game.

Good point about Oregon State re Brown and Corosdale. While UConn and Iowa are the stars of the bracket, OSU won't be a pushover. They've recruited 2 of the top-10 freshmen in the country. Both frontcourt players, that will be a very interesting matchup if it happens.

??? It's a mini-tourney, the winners play and there's a consolation game.

Good point about Oregon State re Brown and Corosdale. While UConn and Iowa are the stars of the bracket, OSU won't be a pushover. They've recruited 2 of the top-10 freshmen in the country. Both frontcourt players, that will be a very interesting matchup if it happens.

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't aware that it was a mini-tourney.

Sad story. Impaired driver drives onto sidewalk and plows into pedestrians. Among the injured was a rising senior that just committed to Iowa on Sunday. No reports on how serious her injuries are yet.

Wishing her the best.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ing-struck-car

We get Northwestern in Cameron in the ACC/BIG10 Challenge.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Another thought on our strength of schedule:

Of the way-too-early top-25, in addition to #2 UConn/#6 Iowa (maybe both!), in conference we'll play:

#9 ND away
    #11 uNC 2X
    #14 UL home
    #15 VT 2X
    #16 NCSU 2X

By expectations, the ACC will have over a quarter of the teams in the Sweet Sixteen. No other conference has more than 3 teams.

That looks like a top-10 strength of schedule to me, certainly top-20. Of course, lots of basketball between now and next March.

Bottom line, I think we'll have more than enough chances to show what we're made of.

It seems longer than it is, but only two years ago today, Kara Lawson was named Duke's head coach.

Last year, Duke took advantage of the pro teams not participating in two events to pick up some wins on the Red Bull 3x3 series. No such luck in Charlotte this weekend with six of the ten teams in the field being WNBA team-owned groups of pros, including alum Haley Peters.

Vanessa, Lee, Mia, and Reigan did win decisively against Kansas State, which was the only other college team in the tournament and played the three WNBA-related teams well.

Rosters:
    https://play.fiba3x3.com/events/90ec...cff4d618/teams

Standings:
    https://play.fiba3x3.com/categories/...7b2d5/overview

Their schedule:
    https://play.fiba3x3.com/categories/...c-9eb79bdabf19

I renewed my season tickets yesterday. They are very reasonable and I love supporting the team. I only made it to one game last year but I expect to go to more this season. Go Duke!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I renewed my season tickets yesterday. They are very reasonable and I love supporting the team. I only made it to one game last year but I expect to go to more this season. Go Duke!
    I renewed yesterday, as well, and although I did make it to more than one game last season, it was far fewer than I'd hoped. I'm looking forward to this season. Hopefully new boosters are available before the season starts.

Official Jersey Release. No Nyah Green

https://twitter.com/DukeWBB/status/1549119243450556416

Official Jersey Release. No Nyah Green

https://twitter.com/DukeWBB/status/1549119243450556416
    And I thought roster max was 15?

Also, The Chronicle is doing a series on the newbies. First up, Kennedy Brown.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...-kennedy-brown

And I thought roster max was 15?

Also, The Chronicle is doing a series on the newbies. First up, Kennedy Brown.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...-kennedy-brown
    14 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons. I assume you can have as many as needed but just can't exceed 15 scholarships. I've seen 17-18 players on Syracuse's (W) roster before

14 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons. I assume you can have as many as needed but just can't exceed 15 scholarships. I've seen 17-18 players on Syracuse's (W) roster before
    As injury prone as WBB seems to be, I'll take as many as can fit on the bench.