-jk
    Two common opponents:

UCF 27, Georgia Tech 10; Duke 20, Georgia Tech 23
    UCF 70, Temple 13; Duke 30, Temple 0
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    We’re in the Annapolis!

-jk
    Obviously a city with a lot of great Duke sports history, so let's hope we add to it.

Computers would favor UCF by 4-7 points. Sagarin = +4 and Massey = +7.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Two common opponents:

UCF 27, Georgia Tech 10; Duke 20, Georgia Tech 23
    UCF 70, Temple 13; Duke 30, Temple 0
    UCF has victories over 2 ranked teams, Tulane and Cincinnati.

They also lost to ECU 34-13 and Navy 17-14.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    UCF has victories over 2 ranked teams, Tulane and Cincinnati.

They also lost to ECU 34-13 and Navy 17-14.
    Woulda been extra fun if that loss were at Navy, but nope. They dropped the ball at home.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke and UCF seasons. Ordered by margin of victory/defeat. # = SRS rank of opponent

Duke (#43)

+30 Temple (#105)
    +29 NCAT
    +24 @Miami (#86)
    +21 UVA (#98)
    +17 VaTech (#102)
    +08 @NU (#107)
    +07 @BC (#95)
    +03 WFU (#29)
    -----------------
    -02 @Pitt (#39)
    -03 UNC (#49)
    -03 @GT (#88)
    -08 @KU (#31)

UCF (#40)

+57 Temple (#105)
    +46 SCSt
    +26 @FAU (#99)
    +22 SMU (#51)
    +17 GT (#88)
    +07 @Tulane (#17)
    +07 @Memphis (#58)
    +07 @SoFL (#116)
    +04 Cincy (#36)
    ------------------
    -03 Navy (#79)
    -06 Lville (#25)
    -17 @Tulane (#17)
    -21 @ECU (#59)

10 bowls feature a matchup with more combined wins than Duke/UCF.
    2 tied.
    28 lesser.

25: Mich/TCU
    24: UGA/tOSU
    23:
    22: Troy/UTSA; USC/Tulane
    21: Tenn/Clemson
    20: Alabama/KSt; PennSt/Utah
    19:
    18: SoAla/WKY; Oregon/UNC; Washington/Texas
    17: UCF/Duke; Pitt/UCLA; LSU/Purdue
    16: Cincy/Lville; Fresno/WashSt; Boise/NTX; Toledo/Liberty; ECU/Coastal; ND/SoCar; Illini/MissSt
    15: UF/OrSt; SanJose/EMU; AF/Baylor; TxTch/Ole Miss; Minn/Syr; FSU/Okla; NCSU/MD; Ohio/Wyo
    14: BYU/SMU; UConn/Marshall; SDSU/MTSU; Ky/Iowa
    13: UAB/MiaOH; Houston/LA; Wake/Mizzou; OkSt/Wisc
    12: BG/NMexSt; GaSo/Buffalo; UtSt/Memphis; KS/Ark
    11: SoMiss/Rice

No opt outs!

I don’t want to hear about ANY “opt outs” for the bowl game. (So far, no word on any Duke opt outs or transfers). Unless you are injured, if you played in the regular season, play in the darn bowl game. I hate hearing about players (from any school) opting out of bowl games. I don’t buy the argument that they are trying to prevent injuries.. they played a full season already.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    I don’t want to hear about ANY “opt outs” for the bowl game. (So far, no word on any Duke opt outs or transfers). Unless you are injured, if you played in the regular season, play in the darn bowl game. I hate hearing about players (from any school) opting out of bowl games. I don’t buy the argument that they are trying to prevent injuries.. they played a full season already.
    Clearly those who opt out are the selfish ones who value themselves over their team. They made a commitment to their teammates. And you can get insurance regarding a bowl game injury.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Sporked you for the link, but just wanted to add...

Top half!
    Again, while Duke might be in a "lesser bowl", I'm way happy, and I didn't expect to be. UCF is gooood. I expect this game to be way close, and not decided til the 4th. OT would not shock me.
    Been literally forever since we rooted against anyone named Plumlee.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I understand your perspective, but players at much higher profile programs than Duke have opted out of much bigger bowl games.

I don't like it either, but it's part of the new college sports world order, with transfer portals, NIL, etc.

If you recall, we had a basketball player who "opted out" of more than a bowl game fairly recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I understand your perspective, but players at much higher profile programs than Duke have opted out of much bigger bowl games.

I don't like it either, but it's part of the new college sports world order, with transfer portals, NIL, etc.

If you recall, we had a basketball player who "opted out" of more than a bowl game fairly recently.
    I’d understand if a player were transferring, or left the team or got kicked off, but I just don’t get playing the entire season and then not playing in the bowl game…

In basketball, it would be like a player playing the entire season, and conference tournament, then “opting out” of the NCAA Tournament. It just doesn’t happen in hoops like it does in football.

(Speaking of football transfers, I haven’t heard of any for us so far, but our rivals to the west are bleeding players!)

I’d understand if a player were transferring, or left the team or got kicked off, but I just don’t get playing the entire season and then not playing in the bowl game…

In basketball, it would be like a player playing the entire season, and conference tournament, then “opting out” of the NCAA Tournament. It just doesn’t happen in hoops like it does in football.

(Speaking of football transfers, I haven’t heard of any for us so far, but our rivals to the west are bleeding players!)
    Didn't Ben Simmons do that?

Anyway, I'm not defending it in any way, just asking you to not be surprised when it happens more and more.

And really, the Duke basketball player who left two months in is possibly worse? Is it better to leave your band of brothers with one game remaining? Or as you move into the meat of the season?

Regardless, all these trends are things I see as "fine" - individuals have no legal obligation that I'm aware of - but leaving me less and less interested in sports in general. Which is a "me" problem, not a sports problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Didn't Ben Simmons do that?

Anyway, I'm not defending it in any way, just asking you to not be surprised when it happens more and more.

And really, the Duke basketball player who left two months in is possibly worse? Is it better to leave your band of brothers with one game remaining? Or as you move into the meat of the season?

Regardless, all these trends are things I see as "fine" - individuals have no legal obligation that I'm aware of - but leaving me less and less interested in sports in general. Which is a "me" problem, not a sports problem.
    That player who left Duke is not even in the brotherhood IMO.

And I’m not surprised at all when players on any team opt out of bowl game, playoffs, etc…. Just disappointed as a fan…. And I’m sure the player’s teammates are more disappointed than any fans would be.

Does anyone know what Annapolis hotel will be the "Duke hotel"??? TIA!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Had they not lost their conference championship game, UCF would likely be ranked in the top 20. As it is, they lost to Tulane and fell out from 23rd, but they are still up there in the votes. Duke will be playing the "28th" ranked team.

From ESPN's crystal ball.

First-year Duke coach Mike Elko took a team that went 3-9 (0-8 in ACC play) last season and guided it to a bowl for the first time since 2018. Both teams are solid on defense, and while UCF has an edge offensively with athletic quarterback John Rhys Plumlee, if healthy, Duke should be much more motivated to play. The Elko-Gus Malzahn coaching matchup should be fun, but Duke rallies in the fourth quarter behind dual-threat QB Riley Leonard.

Prediction: Duke 36, UCF 33
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ore-every-game