Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jim Cramer, Mad Money, Duke Hater?

I was watching Mad Money with Jim Cramer on CNBC last night and someone called in to the show from Virginia and the caller made a shout-out to the UVa Cavaliers basketball team (undefeated and second in the country, etc) and Jim responded: "I like the Cavs; I've always been a Cavs fan; NEVER a Duke fan, I'm really sorry about that" and the caller responded: "I like to hear that". LOL, I was a little surprised to hear Jim trash Duke but I guess he is in the legions of millions who hate Duke.

Hopefully he'll soon hate Duke football as well.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

There is a good twitter account called "Inverse Cramer ETF" -- that guy is wrong impressively often, including about Duke, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I was watching Mad Money with Jim Cramer on CNBC last night….
    Your mistake.

Well

I was watching Mad Money with Jim Cramer on CNBC last night and someone called in to the show from Virginia and the caller made a shout-out to the UVa Cavaliers basketball team (undefeated and second in the country, etc) and Jim responded: "I like the Cavs; I've always been a Cavs fan; NEVER a Duke fan, I'm really sorry about that" and the caller responded: "I like to hear that". LOL, I was a little surprised to hear Jim trash Duke but I guess he is in the legions of millions who hate Duke.
    I would be much more concerned if Cramer were a Duke fan.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    There is a good twitter account called "Inverse Cramer ETF" -- that guy is wrong impressively often, including about Duke, I guess.
    Yea, there used to be a website called something like "Jim Cramer vs. the monkey", where they kept track of all of Jim's recommendations on the Mad Money show and they compared his track record to a hypothetical monkey throwing darts at the Wall Street Journal stock pages and, needless to say, the "monkey" consistently beat Jim Cramer in terms of performance.

NEVER a Duke fan, I'm really sorry about that" and the caller responded: "I like to hear that". LOL, I was a little surprised to hear Jim trash Duke but I guess he is in the legions of millions who hate Duke.
    Well, I have NEVER been a Cramer fan.

Yea, there used to be a website called something like "Jim Cramer vs. the monkey", where they kept track of all of Jim's recommendations on the Mad Money show and they compared his track record to a hypothetical monkey throwing darts at the Wall Street Journal stock pages and, needless to say, the "monkey" consistently beat Jim Cramer in terms of performance.
    ….and, you still watch Cramer?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Well, I have NEVER been a Cramer fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    ….and, you still watch Cramer?
    Good Lord people, show some respect. He was the best character on Seinfeld.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Good Lord people, show some respect. He was the best character on Seinfeld.
    We all know K was awesome! But, C s@cks.

I guess I didn't see it to pick up tone but merely saying "never a Duke fan" hardly qualifies as a "hater." He just tries to show pleasantries to his caller with some quick banter/agreement. I haven't watched the show in 15 years but found it entertaining at the time, but didn't actually use it for stock picks. At least he preaches diversification and gets some people excited about money that may otherwise not be...I'm not losing sleep over Cramer saying he's not a Duke fan. I'm pretty surprised he's still doing the show, he's been around forever.

We don't need him.

Who's Jim Cramer ?

When Jim Cramer voice gets shrill he sounds like Curly on the 3 Stooges. He is knowledgeable but is annoying as well.

Looking at his Twitter, his blatant pushing of product etc I wouldn't take anything he says seriously including his advice.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    I’ve never been on Twitter or heard of it. Is there an actual ETF? The concept and justification have existed for decades. If one does not exist by now, then it’s a greatly missed opportunity.

IIRC, about 2008, when Cramer was catching lotsa feedback about his Bear Stearns recommendation (which he tried very hard to deny!), the WSJ had a great Cramer article. The article showed that you could make ~300% annually by immediately buying corresponding puts when Cramer issued buy recommendations.

Those aren't/weren't darts they're throwing...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Those aren't/weren't darts they're throwing...
    Cramer slings more crap than a monkey.

Can't believe that clown still has a job. I thought he had been disgraced and (I had hoped) run out of town.

Okay, I haven't carefully studied the quality of Cramer's picks.

He does know a lot about the market, and a quick review of the internet showed mixed results. I read thestreet fairly closely about 20 years ago, but I always found his tv show to be maddeningly chaotic. How was I supposed to make use of all of that noise?

I don't view him as corrupt or stupid. He's a Wall Street entertainer, which is difficult to pull off.

He's kinda the Vitale of stocks. It could be far worse.

Oh, and as for his view of Duke basketball, he made this comment on twitter, which seems to imply he's a fan of college basketball:
    "How many professional basketball games have the thrill of one Lehigh-Duke March Madness Game?"

Oh, wait, how'd we do in that game?