Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I think Kennedy Brown is a steal. She started every game her freshman year and Oregon State was 19-4 and ranked #11 when she tore her ACL. OSU proceeded to lose their next 4 games in a row and finished the season 4-5. Those 4 wins were against the 3 worst teams in the PAC12.

Obviously red-shirted her sophomore year and was recovering last year, getting her feel and confidence back. She's gonna be great for Duke. Make no mistake, this is an upgrade in the frontcourt.

USC is honoring Gayles' committment, as it should. But what a sad situation for this young woman.

Gayles told Fox5 Las Vegas that while she has feeling in her arms, she doesn't currently have feeling in her legs.
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...etball-program

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    USC is honoring Gayles' committment, as it should. But what a sad situation for this young woman.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...etball-program
    That's awful, and very honorable of USC. I figured they would, but it's nice seeing that its true.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Think about this: With the addition of Kennedy Brown, we now have McDonald's All-Americans at every position (and a few backups) with the exception of point guard...who was the ACC Freshman of the Year and probably would have been an MDAA if she wasn't Canadian.

Another pickup from Oregon State. Played here in Cameron when they played us in 2017.

https://twitter.com/tchooper5/status...92168643555328

Think about this: With the addition of Kennedy Brown, we now have McDonald's All-Americans at every position (and a few backups) with the exception of point guard...who was the ACC Freshman of the Year and probably would have been an MDAA if she wasn't Canadian.

Jordyn Oliver was a McDonald's all-american, unless you included her as a SG.

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Another pickup from Oregon State. Played here in Cameron when they played us in 2017.

Jordyn Oliver was a McDonald's all-american, unless you included her as a SG.
    Rebounds shouldn't be a problem next year. Our frontcourt will be better...how much, time will tell.

So were Nyah and Reigan. Hence the "backups" (who may turn into starters, who knows). Lots of talent, possibly more (potentially) talented depth than we've ever had, time to mold them into a squad!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    And another transfer from Oregon State...

Taya Corosdale. 6'3" post, averaged 7.3/7.4 Points/Rebounds in 31 minutes. Started all 31 games for OSU.

Unless somebody leaves, that's 15 scholarship student-athletes.

ETA - Sorry, others picked up on this earlier. I thought when reading that it referred to Kennedy Brown.)

C. Vivian Stringer officially announced her retirement, effective Sept. 1st. (I'm sure that had something to do with getting as much money from Rutgers even though she hasn't coached in about two years.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    And another transfer from Oregon State...

Taya Corosdale. 6'3" post, averaged 7.3/7.4 Points/Rebounds in 31 minutes. Started all 31 games for OSU.

Unless somebody leaves, that's 15 scholarship student-athletes.

ETA - Sorry, others picked up on this earlier. I thought when reading that it referred to Kennedy Brown.)
    Well, tomorrow is the deadline, so we'll know soon. And summer session I starts in 11 days, I'd be shocked if all incoming transfers were not required to enroll for it.

I know scholarships are year-to-year, but usually honored unless extreme circumstances. Is there also an unwritten obligation to give a student-athlete a 5th year?

The no-sit transfer rule has made athletes mercenary, just like the coaches have always been. Will schools follow suit?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    (I'm sure that had something to do with getting as much money from Rutgers even though she hasn't coached in about two years.)
    I want that kind of job!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

C. Vivian Stringer officially announced her retirement, effective Sept. 1st. (I'm sure that had something to do with getting as much money from Rutgers even though she hasn't coached in about two years.)
    didn't she just sign an extension?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I want that kind of job!
    Stringer cares for an adult, special-needs daughter and opted out of the 2021-'22 season due to concerns over COVID-19.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    didn't she just sign an extension?
    She signed it two years ago, IIRC.

Well, tomorrow is the deadline, so we'll know soon. And summer session I starts in 11 days, I'd be shocked if all incoming transfers were not required to enroll for it.

I know scholarships are year-to-year, but usually honored unless extreme circumstances. Is there also an unwritten obligation to give a student-athlete a 5th year?

The no-sit transfer rule has made athletes mercenary, just like the coaches have always been. Will schools follow suit?
    Not so. The Power Five members have agreed to 4 year scholarships not to be terminated because of athletic performance. That covers about 70 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Stringer cares for an adult, special-needs daughter.
    I have plenty of qualms with Stringer, but she will always have my respect for this.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not so. The Power Five members have agreed to 4 year scholarships not to be terminated because of athletic performance. That covers about 70 teams.
    Did not know that. So what about the 5th year?

Kara just picked up another transfer, this one from Tulane. Welcome Mia Heide!

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...-lawson-tulane
    Last edited by -jk; 05-04-2022 at 05:39 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by wandalee View Post
    Kara just picked up another transfer, this one from Tulane. Welcome Mia Heide!

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...-lawson-tulane
    How many players do we now have on scholarship for next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    How many players do we now have on scholarship for next season?
    I believe it is all 15 slots. I've tried to list class here, too, so you can see how long players potentially have left to play at Duke.

From last season:
    Shayeann Day-Wilson (So.)
    Lee Volker (So.)
    Vanessa de Jesus (Jr.)
    Celeste Taylor (Sr.)
    Jordyn Oliver (RS Sr.)
    Nyah Green (RS Sr.)
    Elizabeth Balogun (Super Sr.)
    Imani Lewis (Super Sr.)

New to team:
    Emma Kaobel (R Fr.)
    Ashlon Jackson (R Fr.)
    Shay Bollin (R Fr.)
    Reigan Richardson (T; So.)
    Kennedy Brown (T; RS Jr., but only 2 years left*)
    Mia Heide (T; Super Sr.)
    Taya Corosdale (T; Super Sr.)

R = Recruit; T = Transfer; RS = Redshirt

All players except freshmen are eligible for an extra year of eligibility due to COVID, so a "Sr." still has a year of eligibility remaining beyond next season, and a RS Sr. has two.

*Based on my understanding of the COVID rules, a player like Kennedy Brown, who red-shirted the 2020-2021 season due to injury, is NOT eligible for an additional year, hence she is the exception and has only this year and next left to play. If anyone can definitively confirm or deny that, I'd welcome your comment/correction.

Does it look like we have assembled a juggernaut of a WBB team? It would be wonderful to be a top-ten program again.