Thread: Your DBR Family

Your DBR Family

It's the off-season. I'm just curious - not nosy!

Tell me about your family!

I'll start.

I live in Asheville - have off and on for 25 years. Happily married for almost 16. We both do non-profit work. No kids, two dogs, two cats, two humans.

My parents are two and a half hours away (Duke class of '68). O spend my free time drinking good Asheville beer, cooking good meals, doing crosswords, and hanging out with mixed neighbors (some Tar Heel fans). We get wild turkeys and bears and groundhogs. My wife enjoys yard work. We have a pleasant and simple life. If you find yourself in Western NC, I'd love to meet you for a beer or a tasty taco.

Please feel free to contribute to this friendly non-partisan thread about our "IRL" existence beyond our Duke fandom.
    Let's go Duke!

We are fellow "DINKS" as well, down to one dog from a high of three...into the rural lifestyle (deer, moose, bears, fishers, bobcats, coyotes visit regularly)...have a bunch of land, neighbors are just far enough away to suit our taste...April is the gardening month of raking, mulching, then we sit on our haunches and enjoy the fabulous May-October timeframe here before we have to settle in for the long Winter, which we shorten by going on some vacations (now that Covid is a bit less frisky, for the time being anyway). Visitors always welcome in the summer months...went on my typical five mile walk yesterday with Holly the dog, ended up chatting with retired neighbors for two hours, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    We are fellow "DINKS" as well, down to one dog from a high of three...into the rural lifestyle (deer, moose, bears, fishers, bobcats, coyotes visit regularly)...have a bunch of land, neighbors are just far enough away to suit our taste...April is the gardening month of raking, mulching, then we sit on our haunches and enjoy the fabulous May-October timeframe here before we have to settle in for the long Winter, which we shorten by going on some vacations (now that Covid is a bit less frisky, for the time being anyway). Visitors always welcome in the summer months...went on my typical five mile walk yesterday with Holly the dog, ended up chatting with retired neighbors for two hours, very nice.
    Thanks for contributing in the spirit! I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Vermont. I feel it's unique among US states in many ways. I met some phenomenal people during my brief life there. The beauty and wildlife are unsurpassed.

But those winters. Lordy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Thanks for contributing in the spirit! I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Vermont. I feel it's unique among US states in many ways. I met some phenomenal people during my brief life there. The beauty and wildlife are unsurpassed.

But those winters. Lordy.
    I don't mind the intensity (though less intense than they used to be) but the length is bad, so as retired people we get away for some warmth for several weeks.

Great idea! 2004 graduate from Trinity, married for 12 years with two kids - G (8) and B (4). We live in a town just northwest of Atlanta with our dog. I'm a corporate zombie and my wife is happily retired from the corporate world and working twice as hard raising our kids. Getting on a text chain with Duke friends (inclusive of JasonEvans) has really lowered my instances of postings during or right after games that can accrue violation points. Always up to meet fellow Duke fans who are from or travelling through Atlanta.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Great idea! 2004 graduate from Trinity, married for 12 years with two kids - G (8) and B (4). We live in a town just northwest of Atlanta with our dog. I'm a corporate zombie and my wife is happily retired from the corporate world and working twice as hard raising our kids. Getting on a text chain with Duke friends (inclusive of JasonEvans) has really lowered my instances of postings during or right after games that can accrue violation points. Always up to meet fellow Duke fans who are from or travelling through Atlanta.
    SonPK will be at Kennesaw this fall, look forward to maybe meeting up at one of the brewpubs.

I’m T-‘88 and an old East Campus Phi Kap. Been practicing law and trying cases in East Georgia long enough to see the finish line in the distance. One wonderful wife, two wonderful kids, one possessed cat. Taking my son to see the Drive-By Truckers tonight as soon as we finish dinner. Will be an empty-nester come autumn and not sure I’m ready for that.

In the good news department, I think the infection from my Juarez tattoo before the Sun Bowl game a decade or so ago is finally starting to subside.

Thanks for starting this thread, Mtn. Devil.

The Grouse family is changing plumage a bit. Although Ms. and I continue to have a home in the Rockies, we now have a place in the West End of DC. We will be splitting our time, once our family Covid subsides and our joints heal from surgery.

We have children and grandchildren in each time zone: DC area, Chicago, Denver area, and south of San Francisco. There are two in college at Colorado State and one grad from the U. of Denver. Others are approaching college age -- we'll see if we get a Dukie in the next couple of years.

It's been a slow winter, but we look forward to a late spring in DC and a return to the very nice summers here in the Colorado mountains.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013