Page 71 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 2417
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Do people still really believe in jinxes? I mean, for real? Does anybody still really believe that if you say, "this game is over" it will somehow alter the outcome? Or if the announcer says "Player X has made 16 free throws in a row" that the utterance of those words is what causes the player to miss?
    I think a reverse jinx is primarily a mental tool for the person stating it. Its a way of lowering expectations so that there is less disappointment or pain if the outcome is not favorable. I often try to cushion my emotions by acknowledging the worst outcome and factoring that in to my thinking process. Its like an emotional reset button. I find that after doing so I can relax and just watch things unfold and then be pleasantly surprised if my team ends up winning.

If you put out a reverse jinx on the message board you are cushioning other people's return responses so you are not out on a limb as much for your preferred outcome. Again, its an emotional reset button. I agree that it can be overused and it may be that this thread has had more than normal use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    No, it's an off day. Only 90 mins.

P.S. Steven43, if I could send you a PM I'd give you some backstory on my workouts, but alas "Steven43 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."
    A considerable number of posters have mentioned attempting to send me a private message(s) to no avail. Several moderators have tried to resolve the issue, but thus far nothing has worked. I used to get private messages fairly frequently, but for quite some time now the only messages I’ve been able to get have been from moderators giving me an infraction😮 or a warning.

I’ve looked on my User CP to try to figure it out, but I don’t even see an option of enabling (or not) private messages. I think of all the wonderful messages (I’m assuming they’d be wonderful, though that hasn’t always been the case) I’ve been unable to receive and it makes me sad. 😞

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Looney will be just fine vs Horford.
    Except he should be guarding Williams. Either way, GS does not matchup with both Horford and Williams.

In that starting lineup Klay will have to guard Tatum or Brown. Klay is 6’ 6” and has historically been known as a good defender. I bet Green guards Horford then and Looney guards Williams. It will be an interesting series and yea I mostly agree that Golden State could have a tough time matching up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Thanks for the post script.

I think Boston has better than a puncher's chance. Their defense is far superior to Golden State. Golden State has superior shooting. I see it as a wash. I am expecting a fun series. I'll be rooting for Tatum and the Celtics. Neither winner would surprise me.
    In terms of defensive rating for the season Boston was #1 and Golden State was number two. Not sure where you’re getting that Boston is far superior defensively.

In that starting lineup Klay will have to guard Tatum or Brown. Klay is 6’ 6” and has historically been known as a good defender. I bet Green guards Horford then and Looney guards Williams. It will be an interesting series and yea I mostly agree that Golden State could have a tough time matching up.
    Yes that is my expectation. Thompson just isn’t physical enough but could strip the ball like Miami did. My guess is Thompson tries to keep Brown from driving and a stronger player like Green tries to be really physical with Tatum. This series may come down to a consistent 3rd scorer like Wiggins vs Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Yes that is my expectation. Thompson just isn’t physical enough but could strip the ball like Miami did. My guess is Thompson tries to keep Brown from driving and a stronger player like Green tries to be really physical with Tatum. This series may come down to a consistent 3rd scorer like Wiggins vs Smart.
    Don’t forget about Jordan Poole.

Quote Originally Posted by mdj View Post
    Agree on both fronts. Hard to believe Warriors are favored that little and Vegas usually knows what they’re doing. Will be interesting to see which way it moves.
    I’m a little perplexed as to why so many fans and commentators are so high on the Warriors. Their road to the finals was really quite easy. In the first round they played a Denver team missing their 2nd and 3rd best players. In the second round they played a young and inexperienced Memphis team who was missing their best player for significant parts of the series. Then they beat an overmatched and overachieving Dallas team who has one great player, one pretty good player, and a bunch of average guys.

Steph is not as good as he used to be, Klay is a shadow of his former self on both sides of the ball, and Draymond is oft-injured, past his prime, and can’t score much at all anymore.

That being said, I’m picking the Warriors to win in 6, not so much because I think they are a fearsome force to be reckoned with — they most certainly are not — but because Boston just isn’t quite ready.

In terms of defensive rating for the season Boston was #1 and Golden State was number two. Not sure where you’re getting that Boston is far superior defensively.
    Fair point.

If I'm an NBA player, I'd rather be guarded by Curry than anyone on the C's starting five. I guess that's my own bias.

Green will have to guard Horford in my opinion.

Except he should be guarding Williams. Either way, GS does not matchup with both Horford and Williams.
    Interesting. I don't think Golden State will struggle to guard those two at all. Is your contention that this series is going to turn because the Celtics will be able to bully Golden State inside? I don't see the ancillary players deciding this series. My inclination is its Golden State's two stars versus the Celtics two stars. And Golden State has a history of doing it on the big stage. I'm skeptical the Celtics two best players can dominate the series in the way that I think they need to for the Celtics to win the series. With the caveat that I'm seldom right about these things so the Celtics should feel really good about my predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’m a little perplexed as to why so many fans and commentators are so high on the Warriors. Their road to the finals was really quite easy. In the first round they played a Denver team missing their 2nd and 3rd best players. In the second round they played a young and inexperienced Memphis team who was missing their best player for significant parts of the series. Then they beat an overmatched and overachieving Dallas team who has one great player, one pretty good player, and a bunch of average guys.

Steph is not as good as he used to be, Klay is a shadow of his former self on both sides of the ball, and Draymond is oft-injured, past his prime, and can’t score much at all anymore.

That being said, I’m picking the Warriors to win in 6, not so much because I think they are a fearsome force to be reckoned with — they most certainly are not — but because Boston just isn’t quite ready.
    I think most folk are picking the Warriors because this is, I think, their 6th trip to the Finals in 8 years. So it’s all about experience. Which is kind of what you alluded to with your last line. And unfortunately (no ‘jinxing’ here), I concur. I do think Boston has a good chance in this series, but home court and hot shooting from GS will probably be the difference.

Don’t forget about Jordan Poole.
    That's what happens when mofos wanna act like they got something to say. They forgot about Dre...er Jordan Poole.

Players other than Curry, Klay and Draymond have won a lot of GS’s playoff games so far. I think the play of Poole, Looney (who has been simply fantastic), Wiggins, Otto Porter Jr and possibly GP II will have a lot to say about how this series goes.

Thumbs down

The Warriors are pretty modest favorites, and that's the way it should be. I expect a very close series.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Warriors are pretty modest favorites, and that's the way it should be. I expect a very close series.
    Sticking with Warriors in 6. Not generally enthusiastic about the series but hope it proves me wrong.

Dubs in 4...celtics have zero chance...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Dubs in 4...celtics have zero chance...
    This is pretty good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Players other than Curry, Klay and Draymond have won a lot of GS’s playoff games so far. I think the play of Poole, Looney (who has been simply fantastic), Wiggins, Otto Porter Jr and possibly GP II will have a lot to say about how this series goes.
    Poole is a good scorer, but inconsistent. Looney has played pretty well, but against mostly inferior competition. Wiggins can play well at times, but he ‘s streaky. And Porter is “meh” at best.

No, Golden State will win only if Curry, Green, and Thompson all play well, particularly the first two.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Poole is a good scorer, but inconsistent. Looney has played pretty well, but against mostly inferior competition. Wiggins can play well at times, but he ‘s streaky. And Porter is “meh” at best.

No, Golden State will win only if Curry, Green, and Thompson all play well, particularly the first two.
    Ok, we can agree to disagree. I’ve watched every GS playoff game and there have been several where Steph and Klay have been mediocre and the rest of the team carried them to the win. And the stats back me up. Whatever advanced metric you look at (WS, BPM, VORP) during these playoffs Looney, GP2, Poole have been in the top 3 or 4 with Klay ranging from 7th to 15th on the team. Curry is top 5 in all of these as well but not above these other players who are still classified as role players. Even in crunch time Poole carries them one game, Curry one game, Porter the next. And Poole is the best shooter this season (regular and playoffs) despite Curry having the best shooting career of all time.

OTOH what Curry, Klay and Draymond do bring every night is bring a winning attitude. Even when their shot isn’t falling and they are struggling on the court they still exude a confidence and composure that glues the team together. So yes they are vital, but not always for their production.